*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888638-Forestry-Chapter-1-Part-1
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1888638
chapter 1, part 1 of this story. Newly edited. Please comment! More will follow :)
I was running hard, my feet pounding the ground rhythmically. I was trying to shut out my nightmare of running through this forest, just like I was now; that dream that made me awake screaming. The ground disappeared beneath my feet and I pitched forward making the rope trap swing. I sighed, cursing the dream for taking my concentration. At least I'd found the sign I’d been looking for. I sat down, knowing my legs would fall asleep if I stayed standing. As I sat, something dug into me through the back pocket of my jeans. Fishing out my hunting knife, I thanked the Goddess for old habits. I carefully sawed through a length of rope near the bottom and, sliding through the hole that was only slightly larger than I was, hung on just long enough to judge my landing and let go. There was a small thump as I hit the ground and I stifled a curse as my foot landed on a hidden stone, twisting my ankle painfully. I hobbled over to a dry hollow between two roots and settled down to wait. If it had been up to me, I wouldn’t have come back at all; and yet I was glad to be back in the Forest of the Elves, the trees welcoming me back with open arms. I doubted my people would be so understanding though. I sighed again.

Twilight was falling when I finally heard the familiar scuffle of feet. The sound was so slight that if you didn’t know what you were listening for, you would have missed it.

A shadow fell across me and I looked up at a very familiar face. I smiled and struggled to stand without putting weight on my on my injured foot. He automatically grasped my arm to help me up. I looked up at him again to show my appreciation when he froze.

“Lily.” He croaked.

I slipped out of his hand but managed to catch myself on the roots before I hit the floor. I glared up at him, a sarcastic remark ready on my lips, when I noticed he still hadn’t moved an inch.

“Why did you come?” Rhyan asked harshly. I scowled at my feet.

“You think I had a choice?” I muttered crossly.

“But,” he paused, uncertain, I frowned up at him, “but you’re an outcast!” he whispered. I sank back into the hollow.

“Well that was unexpected.” I said faintly, then I suddenly realised what this meant, “That bas-” I stopped, realising this would not be a sensible thing to say in my present company. “Which law?” I asked instead.

“Talking to an outsider about us.”

“I knew it!” I said crossly, thumping the root next to me in anger. He started slightly and quickly tried to hide it. I looked up at him. “Do you believe him- them?” I asked. He shifted uncomfortably, looking at the ground.

“I didn’t until he showed us the pictures... and played us the recording.” He muttered. I leant back slowly, resting my head against the rough bark.

“Do you trust me?” I asked softly. He glanced around him quickly.

“Would I still be talking to you if I didn’t?” He replied in a hushed tone.

“Would you still believe me if I told you I didn’t break any laws?” I asked tentatively. He glanced around again before taking my hand and pulling me to my feet.

“Come. We need to hide before we talk. I don’t want you killed.” We started to run; I tried to ignore the dull, aching pain in my ankle. “Yes. Yes I do trust you- and believe you.” He muttered. I smiled.

“Thank you.” He nodded and ducked into a small crevice within the roots of a knarled old tree. A tunnel had been dug down under it. “Wow.” I breathed; he looked smug as he led me down it to a small cavern. Through a small skylight, I saw a fire pit. I stared at it and the wood burst into flames. Rhyan jumped back. He looked at me and raised an eyebrow. I shrugged.

“It’s easier.” I stated.

“True, but next time warn me- I’d prefer not to get singed.” He asked mildly, sitting on a cushion, I grinned at him and sat next to him. “We’ll be safe in here, it’s soundproof and no one but me knows it exists- well, and you know as well now. I think you need to explain.” He said. I looked away from his questioning face, into the dancing flames.

“She’s my mother.” I told him. He paused.

“I thought she was dead.” He eventually said. I sighed.

“So did I, until I found Dad’s old diary. He had lied so he wouldn’t get thrown out; he was too old to run. He just hid her; and then I found her.” A tear leaked down my face. His hand started stroking my back.

“So it’s fine, we do the Test, prove it-” he started.

“NO!” I interrupted; he gave a start, “Sorry, I’ve been among people too long. It’s just we can’t, I couldn’t do that to her. Just like my father couldn’t run, I can’t sacrifice her for myself.” I told him, clutching his hand, desperate he understood. He gave a tentative smile.

“The Test won’t kill her...” He said slowly. I shook my head and let go of his hand, he took it back and absently shook it.

“What will they do when they realise she knows? An outsider knows everything about us?” I asked softly. His eyes widened as it dawned on him what I was talking about. He got up and started to pace.

“Have you asked her?” he asked; I shook my head. “You should. It is her decision, not yours.” He held up a hand when I started to protest. “No, if she knows as much as you say she does, she will be well aware of the risks.” I hung my head but nodded; he was right.

“I’ll go back in the morning- but I want to be here for the funeral. Can you help me? I want to say goodbye to him- for all the secrets and lies, he was my dad.” I asked, he sighed and rubbed his forehead as he sat back down.

“I can try to get permission to challenge the law against you. I‘ll plead a void state of the outlaw status put to your name as you were unaware of the procedure and therefore it was not made official. I have a good status now so hopefully they’ll listen.” He told me, talking half to himself; I looked up at him and smiled.

“You’re a Warrior?” I asked, he grinned and nodded, sitting up slightly straighter. “Congratulations. I’m sorry I missed the party.” His grin broadened.

“You haven’t actually, they’ve put it off until tomorrow evening, what with your deception- their words not mine- and father’s death.” He added, his smile fading. I smiled at him sadly. He reached out and rested his hand on my shoulder. “It’s good to have you home again.” My smile widened.

“It’s good to be home again, with family.” I replied, making him chuckle.

“Get some rest, sister of mine.” He teased, and then said more seriously, “I’ll speak with the Elders now. Wish me luck.”

“God speed, little brother.” I told him. He smiled, bowed and scrambled back out the den. I limped over to the makeshift bed on the other side of the fire and stretched out on it, sighing contently. It was good to be home again, I’d missed the forest, the people- and the way of life. I didn’t want to lose it again. I’d lost too much already.
© Copyright 2012 L.E. Rose (jellz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888638-Forestry-Chapter-1-Part-1