*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888846-The-monkey-in-the-evergreen
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1888846
The monkey in the evergreen
I had never seen a monkey in an evergreen tree before. Not a sparrow, not a crow, nor an owl up there before. But as I glanced from out my windowpane I saw a thing that seemed quite strange. Standing on the sidewalk there, was a girl, with a leash, tied to a black chimpanzee! The monkey jumped about the branches and climbed up the needled staircase, till it reached the highest mast and looked out on the world of Mass. It held there like a Christmas star and watched the girl from high above. She stood below with simple grace and held a leash that stood up straight. A boy walked near with a dog on a string and a smile filled his face as he looked up and up the tree and saw what seemed a chimpanzee. He chuckled as he crossed the scene and looked back twice to check the tree and still he saw the same rare thing, a monkey in an evergreen. The girl had let the leash go loose, and the monkey knew this too and so he jumped from off his post and landed with a shallow plop, up upon my very roof. I heard his footsteps soft above so faint I thought I made them up. Then I followed as the taps, of this monkey on all fours, moved across the celing towards the chimney by the corner door. They stopped as he climbed up the brick that made the chimney up and then I heard a crash inside my den because the chimp had fallen in. I spun the knob that loosed the flu and dropped the monkey in the room. He looked at me and I looked too and then he dashed into the room, but for the leash around his waist that stopped him quickly in his place. I held on tight, he spun about, and looked as if to say "What's up". The girl had run right up the stairs and burst into the room in tears. "My Layla" she said as she saw the chimp there and she ran to her Layla who jumped to her friend. "Why thank you" she said, as I watched with a smile then she bounced out the door with the chimp swung behind her. They walked down the road for as long as it goes and then where they went, well nobody knows.
© Copyright 2012 007eskimo (007eskimo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1888846-The-monkey-in-the-evergreen