*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1889574-The-Canyon-Tradiition
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1889574
A couple celebrates their Grand Canyon anniversary.
The night was cool on your average night in the middle of the Grand Canyon.  It was mid July, and things could not be better for Tom and Diane.  They had been white-water rafting for the last few days, stopping every now and then setting up camp to either rest or sleep for the night.  It had been magical so far, and would continue to be.  It was their honeymoon week after all.

And tonight is when it always happens....

Tom was not thinking of when he and Diane would make love, he was thinking that on the third day of their honeymoon week anniversary was when something else absolutely amazing happened.  It was why they continued this particular Grand Canyon tradition.

Diane was rolling out the tent and getting ready to assemble it herself.  He would offer assistance, and she would refuse.  She always did.  Her independence was one of the reasons that Tom was so infatuated with her.  She was absolutely amazing (and absolutely breath-taking as well).

"Do you want help with that my love?" Tom asked.

"Not even a little.  Just start the fire and I will be with you soon."  Diane answered with a wink.

God she is more amazing each day.  I am the luckiest man in all creation.

With the tent pitched and the fire blazing, Tom and DIane sat together, she on his lap and he with his arms around her.

"Do you think it will happen again?"  Diane asked without really needing an answer.

"Of course it will.  They can't help it.  They will always come."  Tom was referring of course to the aliens they always came across on this very day every year.  It was no mistake that their honeymoon had started three days before this day.  They had always been in tune with the stars far more than anyone either had ever met.  They had an intuition far greater than most people on earth.  It was why they had gravitated to each other so fast after meeting.  It was like two planets colliding, inevitable once they had become close to one another.

Diane stood up and said "I think I'll go out and look for some more firewood.  Need anything from the cooler?"

"The only thing I need is going out for firewood right now." 

"Oh stop," Diane said as she smiled widely. "I'll be right back."

Tom watched as his wife left to complete her task.  He stared at her silhouette grow slightly smaller and dimmer, hating that he was less able to make out the perfect shape of her behind as this happened, but loving that he could hate such a thing even after 15 years of marriage. 

I am one lucky SOB.

He gazed up at the stars, thinking about his life and how much he loved it, how nothing could possibly ruin anything in his life, and then jumped as he heard his wife scream.

Tom leapt from his chair and started to run in the direction of her voice.  She had headed up the canyon through some very thick foliage.  He didn't care, he just ran. Bush branches whipped across his face, some leaving lines of blood.  It didn't even register, he just kept running.

Okay, she's only been gone about fifteen minutes, she can't have gone far.  Please God just let her be okay.

Her scream came once more, and by the sound of it he could tell that she was just over the bush that was in front of him.  Tom took a deep breath, and parted the bushes to watch his wife. 

There in front of him was Diane, about 20 feet away from where he hid.  She was facing away form him, and even though he could not see far past her, he could hear it.

"ssssshhshhhhshsaaaaaaaa"

This was a sound he knew.  He heard it every year.  The difference this year was that he was hearing it without his wife by his side.  This time she was on her own...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is this bastard.

Diane stood there, her last scream freshly out of her lungs.  After 3 full screams Tom had to be nearby.  She knew she was testing the waters coming out this late alone, but hey, it'd been 15 years of the same routine for this.  It was time to try one solo.  She then heard it

"ssssshhshhhhshsaaaaaaaa"

    and knew it was about twenty feet in front of her.  Her eyes focused in the dark and she could make out its eyes.  They were huge black ovals above a pointy jaw and several rows of sharp teeth.  She wasn't sure how it was making this sound as it had no tongue she could see, but it had a long pointy tail that wrapped to its head.  It stood on two legs with inverse knees.  Its arms, only two of them, were curled to its body with three claws at the end.  Its skin was scale-like, but it was definitely solid as opposed to being actually scales.  Diane stood there defenseless.

The creature just stared at her, obviously sizing her up, and then swooped in for the kill.  This thing was fast, faster than Diane could move to protect.  Its tail wrapped around her torso as its hands trapped her arms against her body.  She had no time to make a sound as it went in for the bite.

As soon as blood drew from her body against its teeth, it froze, unable to move.  Diane began to laugh hysterically.  "Not bad for my first time alone, is it my love?"

Tom came out of the bushes behind her "Not bad at all my darling! So now that he is petrified, how do we get him off you?"

"A sharp blade might be a start.  Either way lets hurry.  I am absolutely staving." Her eyes shined in the night at the creature as she said this.  It looked terrified, which always made them more delicious.
© Copyright 2012 Mitchel D Hall (mitchle14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1889574-The-Canyon-Tradiition