*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1890215-Campfire-Night
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Personal · #1890215
The peace and simplicity of camping.
The fire is only embers now, the sky: full of stars.The only noises are bullfrogs in the distance, and chirping crickets.
Earlier tonight, there were sparklers. Tall tales and ghost stories were told, and laughter rang through the neighborhood until the stars came out, and the sounds turned to song. People danced, ate and drank together, relaxing after a long, hot day.
For hours people got along. Not a word was spoken in anger or dispair.
Bugs bit and smoke stung the eyes, but no one cared the slightest bit. No person could've wanted for anything more than what they had at that moment. There was no tomorrow or yesterday, only right now with the people around the campfire.
No one wanted the night to end, but like all good things, it did. Everyone went their seperate ways to prepare for their tomorrows and somedays. The campfire died, in the morning it would be nothing but ash. The perfect night was ended and the next day, no matter how good, wouldn't hold a candle to the brilliance of sitting around the campfire with a few good friends.
Even a favorite song would never sound as good as the off key harmonies of the night. How could anything match the beautiful merriment of utter peace and happiness?
I sat and watched those embers die, but as all the joy of the night left, I still found myself smiling. This night around the campfire wasn't going to be the only one. Just the last one for quite some time.
Summer can't last forever, and I wouldn't want it to. Without having to wait for these campfire nights, they wouldn't seem nearly so sweet. If we spent too much time having them, someone might mess with the best part of summer vacation. No one need mess with perfection! So I can wait for those campfire nights because even though i'll miss them, i'll never stop loving them, and i'll never stop wanting more.
I crawl into my tent and wriggle into a sleeping bag. I smell like wood smoke and marshmellows, but thats a good thing. Tomorrow i'm going home and cleaning up. I'll pack a bag and this time it wont be for fun. The bag will be full of heavy books and papers. Instead of campfire simplicity i'll be stressed, and even frustrated. I'll be sleeping in a room with a fan and potted plants, instead of a tent with open air, and a forest all around me. I take one last look outside my mesh window and into the cool summer night.
The fire is barely embers now, the sky: full of stars.The only noises are bullfrogs in the distance, and chirping crickets.
Earlier tonight, there were sparklers. Tall tales and ghost stories were told, and laughter rang through the neighborhood until the stars came out, and the sounds turned to song. People danced, ate and drank together, relaxing after a long, hot day.
For hours people got along. Not a word was spoken in anger or dispair.
"I'll be back in nine months, old friend, and I'll be counting the days."
© Copyright 2012 Eternalflame (chosenone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1890215-Campfire-Night