*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1890574-Nasty-Cheese
Rated: · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1890574
Seven year old doesn't like change. For Writer's Cramp Contest
Yesterday I woke up in my old room, and Mommy was making breakfast as usual.  When I went to the kitchen, the smell of pancakes was wonderful and I sat in my regular spot, waiting for the two pancakes and two pieces of bacon.  Mommy knew how I like my pancakes—not too dark, but not too light; and my bacon was just right too.  It was Friday, because I heard the roar of the garbage truck outside, the men whistling, yelling and banging the cans alongside of the truck.  I heard ladies high heels clicking along the sidewalk and sneakers running by the window.  But the sweetest sound of all was Mommy’s humming while she cooked.  She was happy yesterday. When she put my plate in front of me, she made the bacon look like a smile. She kissed the top of my head and went back to the counter to make her coffee.  Poppa came in a little while later, dressed in his blue suit with the red tie that I got him for Christmas last year.  He asked Mommy about the paper and he sat down across from me.  He smiled at me and said, G’morning Baby Girl.  Ready for school today?”
I nodded and grinned at him, my mouth full of pancakes and syrup, so I don’t speak.  Mommy said not to talk with my mouth full.  All I can do is nod.

Mommy took me outside and walked me to the corner where I wait for my bus.  Ms. Borman came on time and I stepped  inside to my seat.  I waved goodbye to Mommy and turned to my best friend Jennifer sitting next to me.  We talked about our favorite show, SpongeBob Squarepants and how when I grew up I’m going to be a scientist like Sandy Squirrel.  Jennifer said she wants to be like Patrick the Starfish; he didn’t do anything but eat what he wanted and watched television all day.  We laughed all the way to school.  I loved being seven years old.

Something happened while I was at school because Mommy came to pick me up. I always take the bus, because I’m a big girl.  She wasn’t humming, but looked like she had a pain, Her face was all scrunched up, like mine gets when I have a tummyache.  They brought my stuff and we got in the car.  I asked, “Mommy what’s happening?” She wouldn’t look at me.  She just watched the road.  We pulled up to the house and Poppa was there, looking sick too.  They spoke in whispers and then started putting suitcases into the car.  No one would tell me anything.  All Mommy said was “Later, Lollipop. Just sit quietly on the chair.” And I did. I always listened to Mommy and Poppa.

Poppa picked me and put me in my car sear.  They got in the front, and we left.  I didn’t know it, but we weren’t ever coming back. I would never have pancakes in that kitchen again.

We drove for a long time.  We didn’t stop.  I was afraid to tell Mommy I had to go to the bathroom.  Just when I didn’t think I could hold it any longer, we stopped.  Poppa looked back at me and said, “Baby Girl, we’re stopping to eat.” I was glad, because I was hungry.  We climbed out of the car and I looked around.  It didn’t look like home; it looked like something I saw on television.  There were no skyscrapers; only one or two buildings that looked like Old MacDonald’s farmhouse.  And it smelled awful! In front of the restaurant was a horse tied to a pole, three barking dogs and people sitting on benches outside of the restaurant.  When we went inside, it was small, and quiet.  No long lines of people screaming orders to the people behind the counter, no sounds of the cash registers and no bustling of people coming and going,  There wasn’t a counter, only a plump lady in a yellow uniform with an apron, who took us to a booth. She smiled at me as I slid into place next to Mommy and handed me a menu. 

“What will you have, puppet?” she said to me.  She spoke in a lazy voice, not the clipped, quick tone I was used to. And she called me “Puppet” in a way like she was my friend, not a stranger. I stared at her, and blinked.  Mommy told her I wanted a grilled cheese sandwich and glass of milk. Poppa and Mommy ordered salads and coffee.  While we waited, Mommy explained to me that we were on an adventure.  She stated that we had to move from our old home in New York City and we were now in a place called Pennsylvania.  She said I would be starting a new school and we had a new house.  As she said this, she was smiling, but I saw her eyes looked liked she wanted to cry. Mommy tried to make me believe that she was alright, I knew she wasn’t; I knew something bad had happened and they weren’t going to tell me.
The lady in yellow brought my sandwich. I took a bite.  Even the cheese tasted different than at home. It was sharper.  I didn’t like it.  I took a sip of the milk. At least that wasn’t too bad.  I drank the milk, but couldn’t finish that nasty cheese.  “Mommy,” I said.  “This cheese is spoiled. It tastes funny.” Poppa told me it was Cheddar cheese and I would get used to it. I didn’t believe him.  I said, “I want to go back.”  Giving me a sad smile, he shook his head.  I was going to have to stay and eat this nasty cheese.
© Copyright 2012 giftedmuse (giftedmuse2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1890574-Nasty-Cheese