*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1891063-Blue-cheese-and-walnut-crackers
Rated: E · Other · Food/Cooking · #1891063
A savory shortbread made with blue cheese and walnuts. Great with cocktails.
Blue Cheese and Walnut Crackers

Adapted from the cookbook ‘barefoot contessa, how easy is that?’

Makes 24 crackers

This savory shortbread made with blue cheese and walnuts is a hearty cocktail treat that can stand up to a big red wine. I make extra rolls of dough and keep them in the freezer unbaked so that I can just defrost, slice and bake as the occasion arises. I found that it’s best to freeze them before rolling them in walnuts as the nuts tend to fall off otherwise. There are rarely any leftover but in the event there are, the baked crackers keep well in a sealed dry container for a week.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

¼ pound (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
8 ounces (225 gm.) good blue cheese* crumbled at room temperature. (Weight without rind)
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. kosher salt (there is typically plenty of salt in the cheese)
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 extra-large egg beater with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
½ cup walnuts, finely chopped.

Fit an electric mixer with the paddle attachment and cream the butter and cheese together for 1 minute until smooth. With the mixer on low, add the flour, salt, and pepper and continue beating for about 1 minute until the dough is in large crumbles. Add 1 tablespoon of cold water and mix until the dough comes together.

Dump the dough onto a floured board and roll it into a 12-inch-long log. Brush the log completely with the egg wash. Spread the walnuts on a cutting board and roll the log back and forth in the walnuts, pressing gently, to distribute them evenly on the log. **Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 4 days.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Cut the log into 3/8-inch-thick slices with a small sharp knife and arrange the crackers on the sheet pan. Bake for 22 minutes, until very lightly browned, rotating the pan once during baking. Cool on the pan and serve at room temperature.


*Stilton works well here but if you can, be adventurous and try one of the raw milk blue cheeses now available on the market.
** I’ve been known to dispense with the egg wash and walnut rolling simply slicing and then dabbing the slices in the finely chopped walnuts so they become a topping. Works just fine.
© Copyright 2012 Kirsten Marion (kirhyanna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1891063-Blue-cheese-and-walnut-crackers