*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1892324-Picture-Day
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1892324
What goes through a teenager's mind on picture day
This is the worst day of the year.

Everyone lined up in front of you, behind you, waiting in uniform like trained laboratory mice.  One at a time, each subject is instructed on how to look their best by someone whom they have never met, who knows nothing of them or their existence.
Flash
You hate this day.  This single picture taken, printed out to be seen by all for the rest of time.  Perhaps it wouldn't be quite as bad if you had the looks that the rest of the mice possessed.
Flash
You shuffle forward, nearing that terrible display.  Last minute thoughts run through your head.  Will she see it?  I wonder if it will look good enough...what if it isn't?  Why did I get such a stupid haircut?  How am I the only one left with acne any more?
Flash
Flash
Flash

You're next.  You are nervous, jittery.  You know you can't take a good picture, and this year will just be worse.  Through all of this, you know you're just another lab rat, no different from the others in essence.  But you don't consider this now.  Now, you target your own insecurities.
Flash
You shuffle up to the seat awaiting you, bathed in white light.  Hesitantly, you pose, following instructions as to get the ordeal over with.  The drone behind the camera recites a bad joke, and a fake smile rises to the surface of your face. You hold the pose.
Flash
As you descend from the unwanted throne, you wonder if next year will be any better, and look down at your feet.
© Copyright 2012 AnonymousWriter (partlyirish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1892324-Picture-Day