*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1894825-Hyper-Beam
by TL
Rated: 18+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1894825
Chek, a traveling young trainer relives the day he Bonded his first pokemon.
Prologue:

         The tall green grass parted as a Pokémon stepped into a low grass clearing. The Pokémon looked to the left and right, curiously sniffing the air with it’s nose before issuing a noise. “Sandslash”.

         From behind the Pokémon a man stepped into the clearing. He wore a brown cloak that covered most of his shape but he immediately threw his cloak hood off to reveal a young man’s face. The face was unshaven though and his long, unkempt brown hair fell in front of his eyes. Brown eyes peeked from between his bangs as he walked into the clearing and took a seat on a large rock that stood in the middle of the clearing as if it were made for just that.

         “Thank you for making sure it was clear”. The man addressed his Pokémon. He found it odd that he often thanked his Pokémon for doing tasks expected of them. Most people did not.

         “Slash”, the Pokémon uttered in a deep, even tone as it waddled up to it’s owner and looked up at him expectantly. Chek smiled from where he sat with one leg across the other and reached down to scratch the Sandslash behind the ears.

         “Yeah, you like that Sandrock”?

         “Sand”, the Pokémon seemed to sigh as Chek continued to scratch behind it’s ears. Through the Bond flowed happiness. Chek smiled, happy that his Pokémon was happy and continued to admire him.

         Some people thought Sandslash were pretty fierce looking. At a little over three feet tall and weighing about 65 pounds the stout hedgehog like Pokémon could easily been seen as intimidating. The Pokémon’s entire back and the back of its neck was covered with large dark brown spikes that tapered off to the back of the Pokémon’s head, leaving a single golden spike on its forehead and an equally golden long ear on each side of its head. The spikes fell backwards, hanging limply but at the first sign of danger or a command from its trainer the spikes would straighten and harden, splaying out in all directions. Its fur was the color of desert sand except for the white patch on its stomach. From beneath the spikes on it’s back a short sand colored tail moved from side to side happily. The Pokémon’s two short arms ended with long curved claws and even it’s two short feet ended in dual claws, one for each toe. Sandslash had definitely been an appropriate naming for the species. Although the Pokémon could run on all fours more quickly it now stood on two feet, stretching up to receive it’s master’s love. Intimidating to some perhaps but when Chek looked into Sandrock’s beady black eyes he still saw the cute Sandshrew he had found those many years ago.

         Chek reached into his cloak and pulled out a small plastic bag. He opened it and put his nose into it and breathed deeply. “Ahhh, Viridian Kush. Doesn’t get much better than this”. He offered the bag to Sandrock, who stuck his little snout into the bag and sniffed as well. The Pokémon looked up at his trainer and wiggled it’s nose.

         “You agree”? Chek smiled as he took out some rolling papers and dropped a large dank nug on the large stone beneath him. “Hey slash that up for me will you? I think we should take a break here before we continue our journey. You wanna toke”?

         Minutes later Chek was lying on his back across the stone, basking in the sun and feeling quite good. Sandrock sat on the rock next to him, high as well, but relatively alert and on the watch. They were out in the wild after all. Chek squinted from the light as he looked over at his Pokémon. Some people didn’t believe in getting your Pokémon high but nearly all Researchers agreed it was harmless. Some Pokémon even loved to have smoke blown at them. Sandrock was one. Chek smiled. He loved Sandrock. Their journey had been a long one. A hard one. Even from the beginning. As Chek drifted off into his high thoughts he began to relive that day. The day his journey as a Pokémon trainer had begun.


TM01: Mega Punch


         Chek entered the classroom and looked around at the empty chairs. It was the first day of school this year and he was a bit nervous. He had dressed himself in khaki shorts, white shoes, a Pokéball shirt and a white headband for the weather. His brown bangs fell over the headband and nearly touched his equally brown eyes. Chek had never been to school before but he was sure this would be his favorite class. Pokémon Education, or Poké Ed for short was the first step in any one’s life to understanding Pokémon.

         The classes were pretty standard including basic information on Pokémon, how to avoid wild Pokémon, and how the Bonding worked. The classes were short too, something Chek had already learned from another student. He disliked that but it was only an introduction course after all. The real education didn’t come until fifth grade when your parents could sign you up for Training Classes. There you learned detailed information on Pokémon and how to use them in battle, also the scientific wonders Pokémon could achieve and about Pokéballs, which could lead to other courses themselves. Rarely did anyone ever go on to become a trainer without those classes. And never did they go on to become a Gym Leader or Researcher.

         Four more grades to go, Chek thought but immediately sighed for two reasons as he sat down at a desk. The first being the thought that his father would never sign him for the classes, the old man didn’t seem to like the idea of his son becoming a trainer, no matter how enthusiastic the boy was about Pokémon. Which Chek thought was a pretty poor way for his father to feel, after all the man had his own Pokémon, and a pretty powerful one at that.

         And Chek asked a lot of questions about Pokémon. He already knew you didn’t earn a Pokémon like his father’s respect without being a trainer at some point.

         The other reason being as Chek looked around he noticed that several of the boys sitting next to him were already sporting Pokéballs on their belts. The kids were all wearing leather black jackets too. But we live in Kanto…and it’s still August, Chek thought.

         One of the kids, a dark haired boy turned to look at him. “What are you staring at loser”?

         “Um, nothing”, Chek said, turning to stair straight ahead at the board.

         “You were looking at my Pokéball”, the kid said, leering at Chek. “You wish you had one loser. Hey guys”, he said, gesturing to his friends, “Look he’s got a Pokéball shirt but no Pokémon, what a loser”. He and his friends immediately began laughing as if the statement was hilarious.

         Chek ignored him, although the words stung, and he was sure he could feel his face becoming hot.

         “What’s going on here”, the teacher said, interrupting the laughter.

         “Nothing”. The boy said. The teacher looked to Chek. From the corner of his eye Chek could still see the boy giving him a threatening, cold stare. But it was unfair!

         “He was picking on me”. Chek confessed.

         The teacher looked back to the bully. “You and I shall have a talk later Mr. Allen, I’ve taught all your older brothers and if you’re going to act anything like them I can tell you now this won’t be an easy semester for you young man”. The teacher turned and walked back to the front of the class.

         The bully called Allen never looked at Chek but under his breath he whispered. “You’re dead kid”.


TM02: Razor Wind


         Chek left the classroom and took one of the side exits outside the school. It was pretty cool ending the school day with Poké Ed, it made the rest of the day not seem so bad. Chek glanced to his left and right before taking the path back to the main street. Saffron City was pretty big, one of the biggest cities in Kanto actually, and the ninth largest city in the world. There were plenty of places to hide but the coast looked clear so Chek started walking very quickly towards an alley way he knew would short cut him home.

         “Going somewhere”? A voice rang out.

         Chek stopped in his tracks, stunned. He turned and saw the black jacket kids rolling down the street on bikes toward him.

         “Home”! Chek answered, turning and running full speed, his backpack bouncing along on his back.

         “Get him”! The Allen boy cried out. Immediately him and his lackeys, all five of them, began giving chase to Chek.

         Chek ran down the small alley way but something suddenly jerked him back about half way through to the other street. He fell on his bottom with a hard thud. “Ow”!

         Suddenly he was being attacked from all angles furiously. He tried to cover himself with his arms but it was not much help. From between his forearms he saw the gang had caught up with him and were now off their bikes, now beating him mercilessly. “Help”, he cried.

         For how long they kicked and punched him he was unsure. He cried and cried but they continued. Until finally it stopped.

         “I think he’s had enough”. One of them said.

         “He looks like crap”, another one cursed. They all laughed.

         “Yeah let’s get out here”.

         “No. I’m not done”.

         “What”? Voices asking in unison.

         Chek peeked out from between his arms again. Allen was standing over him. Looking at down at him with something akin to hatred, Chek wondered what he did to merit such a powerful emotion.

         “This butthead has blacklisted me for the entire semester already. I’m not going to be able to do anything without Mr. Dumbface getting all over my case”.

         One of them approached Allen, reaching out his hand to put it on his shoulder. “It’s okay, we messed him up already Billy”.

         “No”, Billy Allen knocked his hand away. “I’m going to make him really sorry”.

         “Billy…”, the other boy said, watching him as Billy stepped further back from Chek and reached for his Pokéball.

         “Back off Jimmy, or you’re next. I’m going to be the next gang leader, like my brother before me and like our big brother before him”. Chek began to cry and crawl away as he realized this insane kid meant to hurt him…maybe even kill him. To die without becoming a trainer, or even owning a Pokémon, life could not possibly be this unfair. Chek continued to cry, struggling to stand up as Billy grabbed the Pokéball and threw it into the air.

         “Blacklung! Come”!

         The Pokéball suddenly split open in mid air when it heard it’s user’s voice command and from it’s center pure energy manifested as a beam of blue electricity that shot forth into the air to take form and materialize into a Pokémon. This Pokémon took the shape of a ball. It was about two feet in diameter. It’s flesh was craggy and deep purple. In it’s center two almost human eyes rolled around in all directions and an open mouth hung underneath that seemed to be grinning at nothing. There was a very crude symbol in white on the Pokémon. A skull and crossbones. From seemingly random there were several crater like protrusions on it’s body that emitted some sort of yellow gas, keeping it afloat in the air. Chek gasped, then immediately tried not to breathe as he began desperately crawling away as fast as he could, still stumbling as he tried to push himself up. Billy’s Pokémon was a Koffing. And everyone knew Koffing could be very poisonous.

         “Koff! Koff”! The Pokémon said, it’s voice wheezy and strained as if it were speaking through a cough. Small puffs of gas came from it’s mouth after each word and floated up into the air to dissipate.

         “Blacklung”, Billy said. “Tackle”.

         “Koff…ing”? The Pokémon wheezed, looking from Billy to Chek. It felt Billy’s intentions through the Bond but the intention confused him. For all of Billy’s tough talk it was obvious his Pokémon was bred from many generations of tame Pokémon, it knew it was not normal to attack other humans.

         “You heard me”! Billy yelled and his emotion surged through the Bond. The Pokémon immediately rotated in the air to face Chek and flew forward to come down and slam into the boy’s back. Chek roared in pain as he felt his back go numb. He tried to crawl further away but realized his legs were no longer working.

         He screamed in pain and cried harder than before. The Koffing turned to it’s master and Billy nodded and smiled. The Koffing seemed to grin too. “Koff”. It said happily, satisfied that it’s trainer was pleased.

         “Billy that’s good. Let’s get out of here before someone sees”. The boy named Jimmy said from behind, his voice was filled with anxiety. “We could get in BIG trouble for this”.

         “I said shut up”, Billy said spinning to punch the child in the chin. Jimmy fell back on his bottom and began crying too, his cries mingling with Chek’s. The other bikers began stepping backwards from Billy, all with scared looks on their faces.

         Billy ignored them and turned to face Chek again. “Blacklung”, he addressed his Koffing. “Poisonous gas”. Chek began crying out loudly and struggled with his numb legs to crawl away. Dying from the gas of a Koffing was not a pleasant way to go. Where was the police when they were needed?

         “Koff”. The Pokémon said and turned back to Chek. It breathed in through it’s craters, beginning to gather air to expel it’s powerful foul toxins.

         Suddenly there was a flash of light and a bright golden arc of electricity fell from above to strike the Koffing. Instantly the creature exploded in a ball of white flame and fell to the ground to sizzle and pop, nothing remaining but a black husk. Billy’s eyes turned to saucers. The others were too paralyzed to even run.

         From a side alleyway a Raichu stepped into view. Bigger than normal, the mouse like Pokémon stood at 3.2 feet tall. It’s pelt was a dark gold except for the white fur on it’s chest and belly and the brown fur on it’s hands and feet. Across it’s forehead there was a scar that reached it’s brown nose and across one of the bright yellow circles that adorned each of it’s golden cheeks was another scar that divided that circle into two halves. It’s ears were large and curled out for better hearing and it had a long brown tail that abruptly ended in a large zigzag with yellow fur. Honestly, it looked like a lightning bolt. Truthfully, it was something like that. Raichu’s tails were the conductor’s for electricity, their golden patched cheeks the generator of said energy. This Raichu was an older Pokémon. It sported a small brown goatee from it’s chin and it’s fur was more grizzled than the soft pelt of a young Pokémon.

         “You…”, Billy stammered, “You killed my Koffing”, he cried out at the Raichu.

         “Chu”. The Raichu said, it’s voice gritty. Electricity shot from it’s cheeks and branched out to shock Billy and his friends. They howled in pain and when they could stand they immediately took flight, grabbing their bikes and pedaling away as if the devil himself were after them, sobbing all the way. The Raichu watched them go then walked over to Chek, looking down at him. “Chu”.

         Chek looked up at him and the Pokémon extended a brown paw. Chek reached up and took it and the strong Pokémon lifted him up and put him onto his back. Chek’s numb legs dragged on the ground as the Pokémon walked down the alley, holding him up easily. Pound for pound Raichu were very, very strong. Especially this one.

         “Thanks Raiden”, Chek finally spat his voice broken, “I guess dad sent you to walk me home huh? Well I guess it’s a good thing he was worried after all”. Chek immediately broken down and began sobbing on Raiden the Raichu’s shoulder as he held on. “I wish I had my own Pokémon. A powerful Pokémon like you that could protect me”.

         “Chu”, the Pokémon simply answered, continuing it’s stride. It reached up with one arm and patted Chek’s head. Raichu were pretty smart but he probably didn’t understand the problem, he only knew this human he had known from birth was upset and that upset him too.

         “Well I guess a powerful Pokémon like you wouldn’t answer to a weakling like me”, Chek said, his voice still broken as tears slid down his face. Raiden only looked over his shoulder to look at the boy as if to say, “you never know”.


TM03: Sword’s Dance


         Chek and Raiden shortly arrived home and Chek’s father, Stan was immediately there to greet them. “My God what happened”? He asked when he saw that Chek was dirty, crying, and obviously in pain as well.

         “Some biker kids beat me up”, Chek answered as Raiden let Stan take Chek into his arms and lay him onto the couch in the living room. “They were crazy. One of them was really crazy dad, he got his Pokémon to attack me! Raiden saved me before it could use Poison Gas though”.

         “What”? His father yelled, enraged. “That’s against the law! He could have his right to own a Pokémon restricted for life! Who was this kid”?

         “Billy Allen”, Chek answered, between sniffles, “But it’s okay dad…Raiden killed his Koffing”.

         His father turned to the Raichu, was now using it’s paws to rub it’s nose. There eyes met and something passed between them before Stan nodded. “Thank you for protecting my son”. Raiden gave no sign of understanding, he merely continued his grooming but somehow Chek was sure the pokemon was beaming with pride.

         His father immediately turned and walked into the next room. Seconds later Chek could hear him on the phone in the living room. He was talking to the police no doubt. Attacking another human with a Pokemon was a serious charge, as serious as attacking someone with a dangerous weapon, even more so by the fact you could lose your right to own a pokemon for years, even a life time. Pokemon could be dangerous weapons themselves.

         “Raiden, thanks again for saving me back there”, Chek said. It understood that well enough. The Raichu gave a small nod from where it stood in the corner.

         Stan came back into the room. He looked worn and you could tell by his unsteady gait he had been drinking. He did that a lot now of days, seemed like he always had since mom had died. He was a handsome enough man though. Long brown hair and dark brown eyes, he wore his red and white Pokémon cap as he usually did and blue jeans with a white T. First he walked over to Raiden and scratched the Pokémon behind the ears. “Good job today old friend”. The Raichu, who normally showed little to no emotion, seemed very pleased with itself. Stan then walked over to Chek and handed him a strange looking bottle. “You know we don’t have the money for hospital bills so I dug around and found this old treasure. It was a gift from your grandfather, Professor Willow, a potion modified for humans”. Chek took it and drink some. It tasted okay but it was really thick. He choked on some as he tried to force it down.

         “Dad”, Chek said as he wiggled his toes, the feeling returning to them. “If I’d have my own Pokémon this wouldn’t have happened today”.

         “Chek….”, his father began. “You know how expensive a tame Pokémon is. We just don’t have the money son”.

         “Then catch me a wild one”! Chek cried out.

         Stan shook his head and sat down on a recliner nearby. He grabbed his beer from where it sat on a counter top nearby and took a long swallow before shaking his head. “Pokéballs ain’t cheap neither Chek. And Bonding a wild Pokémon isn’t easy. Many people have died trying to Bond a powerful Pokémon. It takes years of practice to fully Bond a wild Pokémon”.

         Chek slid off the bed and realized he could walk. He felt like running. What kind of medicine was that? Well granddad was a genius after all. “Dad you have a Raichu! A Raichu! Don’t you think that’s unfair”!

         Stan looked to Chek and then over to Raiden, who had taken to holding an apple with both paws and was nibbling away on it. Stan spoke, “Chek I’ve had Raiden since he was only a two year old Pikachu. He wasn’t the most tame of Pokémon”, he chuckled and muttered to himself, “wouldn’t even stay in the damn Pokéball”, before continuing to Chek, “but it helps to get them young like that. He didn’t cost me a thing either, I got him from grandpa”.

         Grandpa Willow, apparently even though his grandfather was a known Researcher he lived far, far away on Cinnabar Island. Chek recalled seeing him only a couple times his whole life, the last a year ago.

         It was all too much. No Pokémon, no money, no mother, only his drunken father for company. “I…I…”, Chek stammered.

         Stan looked over to him. “Son….”

         “No”! Chek screamed. “I hate you! You just want me to be miserable like you! Since mom died that’s all you do is drink! That’s why you can’t buy me a Pokémon, because then you wouldn’t have any money to drink”!

         Chek turned and ran. The potion had worked it’s magic and it turned out he could run after all. And boy did he feel like running. He wanted to run away from it all. The sorrow, the hurt, the loneliness, so he ran as if he could outrun it all.

         “Chek”! His father yelled from behind him. “Chek”!

         Chek didn't bother to even look. He just ran. He ran out of the house and down the street. He ran down the street until he reached the city gates. There a guard in blue stood with his Pokémon, a gray bipedal humanoid Pokémon, a Machoke. They guarded this gate and watched the flower field outside the gates to ensure the safety of citizens from wild Pokémon.

         “Hey”! The guard cried as Chek ran by. “It’s getting dark, be careful of wild Pokémon”! The guard watched the boy run off. “Small kid”, he muttered to himself, “does he even have a Pokémon? He better have some Repel at the least”.

         “Choke”. The Machoke uttered, his voice low and gravelly. He looked to his trainer.

         The guard shook his head. “I know. But we can’t leave the gate unguarded, you know that”.

         “Ma”, the Pokémon replied. The guard had no idea if the gibberish Pokémon spoke ever meant anything but worry flowed through the Bond. Machoke were really smart, even understood some English, and he knew the kid wasn't supposed to be outside the gate by himself. The guard lowered the brim of his hat and sighed. Hopefully the kid would return soon, the sun would be setting in a couple hours and it would be even more dangerous then.


TM04: Whirlwind


         Chek ran. He ran through the flower field and across the grassy plain to the hill ahead, O’Doyle’s Bump they called it. He knew he shouldn't be out here alone, especially without Repellent. A wild Pokémon could just be waiting in the nearby brush to ambush him. At the moment he could care less if one did. Finally slowing to a trot then a walk he came beside O’Doyle’s Bump to collapse at it’s base.

         There he cried into his hands, sobbing pathetically. Mom was dead. She was never coming back. Worse was the fact he could not remember what she was like. He saw pictures of her, dad showed him plenty, but he could no longer connect the memory of the woman and the face anymore. Dad was miserable, trying his best to work and make money for them, but since mom’s death he had never been the same. Even Raiden was stolid, probably feeling dad’s emotions through the Bond but whatever the Pokémon had seen in his long life had made him hard.

         Not to mention the first day of school he was already on a hit list. He had after all, angered Saffron City’s biggest gang and inadvertently killed an important member’s Pokémon. Billy’s oldest brother ran the gang and most of them weren’t kids, they were big, mean baddies. He’d be lucky if he lived to next year.

         Being poor sucked too. Without money they could not afford a tame Pokémon. At this rate he would eventually get a Pokémon…when he was eighteen and had saved up four summer’s worth of work money. Nothing was going to change so he sobbed at the injustices of life. He sobbed at the feeling of helplessness, but mostly at the feeling of being alone.

         Suddenly he noticed a soft mewling. Had that been going on the entire time? Perhaps he had been too busy crying to notice. He looked up and around. The sound was coming from behind O’Doyles Bump. Too curious to continue sobbing he stood up, dirt on his knees still, and walked around the Bump. What he saw there he would always stay with him, for the rest of his life.

         Bent over bloody, shredded remains of a Pokémon that wasn’t even recognizable anymore stood a Raticate. The huge rat-like Pokémon turned and saw Chek and immediately screeched. A hideous sound that made Chek’s ears feel as if they would bleed. The Pokémon stood a little over two feet and probably weighed about forty pounds. It stood on two legs, it’s tawny orange fur standing on end to give the impression it was larger. It stomach was a lighter color, it’s feet were webbed for swimming, and it’s long naked tail whipped violently behind it. Three rows of whiskers on each side kept it balanced and ragged appearing ears deceptively hid an amazing sense of hearing. But it’s teeth.

         It’s teeth were huge. Large incisors in the middle of it’s mouth met from top to bottom, opening to reveal a large mouth as the creature hissed. Suddenly Chek wished he didn’t know so much about Pokémon. He knew Raticate could be very, very aggressive. He also knew they could literally chew through steel. He swallowed hard, his mouth going dry as the Pokémon began to approach him slowly, looking for an opening to attack him. Chek slowly stepped backwards, hardly aware of his own movement, from behind the Raticate he could see not one, but several remains of small Pokémon. It was then he realized he could still hear the mewling. He looked to the left to see a small golden Pokémon, covered in blood, lying on the ground.

         “Shrew”, it cried weakly.

         The Raticate charged as soon as it saw Chek was distracted. Chek screamed and attempted to jump out the way at the last second. However he was too slow and the side of the Raticate caught him, knocking him into the air. He didn’t even remember hitting the ground. Disorientated, he shook his head to clear it and looked around. He was lying on the ground, dirty and scraped bloody. That was twice today. The Raticate turned to face him and charged again. It’s mouth open, it’s powerful fangs coming to bear down on him. This is it, Chek thought, I really am going to die.

         Then the Raticate stopped. It stopped as if it had run into an invisible wall. It’s eyes became droopy and it began to swoon back and forth like dad after he had had too many drinks. Chek’s eyes were wide in wonder as the Raticate took two more small steps towards him, then fell to the ground. Chek realized in astonishment the creature was sleeping. Chek’s head lay back down onto the ground. He was so tired but he had to get up. But his head…the pain….he started to drift into darkness.

         “Hypno”, he heard a voice speak in the darkness, “Dream Eater. Good. Now for a Pokéball”. I know that voice. Chek thought. Then everything was gone.


TM05: Mega Kick


         Chek’s eyes fluttered open momentarily as he slowly regained consciousness. With a bolt he sat up and looked around. He was home, in his room. He checked himself to see that he was bandaged in several places. What had happened? Suddenly the door opened and his father stepped in. “Dad how-”, he cut off as his grandfather, Professor Willow stepped in after his father. “Grandpa”! Chek tried to get off the bed but groaned in pain and stayed where he was.

         “Easy now”, Professor Willow said, approaching Chek to put his hand onto the boy’s shoulder. “You got banged up pretty bad by that Raticate. What were you thinking? Going out into the wild like that”? His grandfather frowned. His hair was completely gray and the hairline was beginning to recede, his face was weathered and dark from days out researching in the field but his eyes still gleamed with the curiosity of a child. He wore a green explorer outfit, one that would hide you well in the tall grass.

         Chek looked toward his father. Stan frowned. “Son I was worried sick when you left, I even went looking for you. A guard at the gate told me you had left. I got there just after granddad did. You are fortunate that he just happened to be on his way here to visit and was looking for a Raticate to catch for he may not have stumbled upon you”.

         “I’m sorry dad. I’m sorry grandpa”, Chek’s eyes began to water. “I…I just wanted to be a trainer so bad..and mom…and..”, he broke down crying again.

         “Now, now”, his father said, walking over to hold him close. “It’s okay Chek. I miss her too. So badly”. They held each other tightly and for the first time in a long time Chek thought he saw tears sliding down his father’s cheeks but his father stood up, wiping his face on his sleeve. “That’s twice you got saved today Chek. I’d say you are pretty lucky after all”.

         “I guess”, Chek mumbled, slowly feeling more in control of his emotions. He would have to move on. That was life. “Wait”, Chek said, looking at his grandfather in disbelief. “Did I hear you say you caught that Pokémon”?

         Professor Willow smiled slyly, “Why yes I did. A fully grown Raticate in these parts is a little strange after all. I want to study it and see if it’s genetically different from others”.

         “B-b-but that thing was dangerous”! Chek cried. “It killed all those Sandshrew and…THE SANDSHREW”! He realized with a shout. “There was a baby there and it’s mother had been killed. What happened to it? Did you leave it”?

         Willow shook his head. “Easy now Chek. You know I don’t normally interfere with nature. You know it’s part of my job”. Chek nodded and hung his head, trying not to burst into tears again.

         His father suddenly grinned widely and his grandfather followed suit. “What”? Chek asked, looking at them both.

         “Well you see I have no such qualms about nature”, his father said, pulling a Pokéball out from behind him. Chek’s eyes lit up like Christmas.

         “The Sandshrew?”?

         His father shrugged. “It would sell for a good bit. Sandshrews don’t live around here”.

         “That they don’t”, his grandfather chimed in, “Strange that the family was here. Even stranger than the Raticate to be sure”.

         Chek was on the edge of his seat now, injuries or no. “Dad…” his voice was pleading, “Dad what if I can Bond it”?

         “Bonding a wild Pokémon-”, he began.

         “I know, I know”, Chek said. “But what if I can”?

         His father and grandfather looked at each other. His grandfather Willow smiled. “I saw that same light in your eyes years ago when Professor Oak gave you your first Pokémon”.

         Chek’s father smirked. “Yeah but then you were just an aide in disguise you bastard”.

         “You eventually forgave me for running out”.

         “I guess”, his father said smiling slightly.

         Chek cocked his head to the side in confusion. What were they talking about?

         “Well I guess it’s only fair he be given the same chance”. Chek’s father said. He tossed the Pokéball to Chek, who snatched it out of the air and held it in his small hands looking at it as if it were pure gold. “Well”, his father said motioning outside, “Are you ready or not”?


TM06: Toxic


         The trio exited the front door, Raiden coming to the door frame and sniffing the air curiously while watching Stan. He always kept a protective eye over him. Their house wasn’t a large one, being near the gates usually meant being in the poorer part of town but it also meant having some space as it wasn’t nearly as dense here. They moved out to the front of a street as two kids on bikes rode by, a bird Pokémon following after them. A Pidgey, Chek thought, type normal, flying. Pokédex ID 16 Kanto, 10 Johto, 218 Hoenn.

         He turned and met his grandfather’s eyes. They were wrinkled in a smile. He knew that Chek knew as much about Pokémon as possible for his age. “Okay Chek”. He said, the smile disappearing from his face. “First you have to feel the Bond. Perhaps I can demonstrate”.

         Professor Willow grabbed a Pokéball and turned towards the empty street. “Raticate, GO”! Chek flinched in surprise. He was summoning the same Pokémon that had attacked him?

         Bright energy shined in the dim light of the setting sun and from the Pokéball the energy shot forth, manifesting into the shape of the Raticate before appearing completely. “Rata! Cate”! The large, ragged eared Pokémon screeched before turning towards the three. It screeched and growled, spittle flying from it’s muzzle. Upon seeing Raiden in the door way it became even more violent. Raiden watched it stoically.

         Suddenly the Raticate became calmer. It began to look around at it’s surroundings. Clearly it was in new territory for the first time. Yet before long it was sitting on the pavement, quiet, and staring straight into Professor Willow’s eyes. Chek exhaled, realizing he had been holding his breath once he saw the Raticate again. He had been attacked by the thing only an hour before after all. It was then he realized that his grandfather had never taken his eyes off the Pokémon. Stepping towards it tentatively his grandfather moved a hand toward it. The Raticate hissed.

         “Easy”. Professor Willow said loudly, his voice deeper than normal and very firm. It brooked no foolishness. He laid his hand on the Raticate’s head. The Pokémon didn’t look entirely happy about it but it made no movement or noise. Chek was stunned.

         “That Raticate could take his entire arm off in a second”! He cried breathlessly.

         “Indeed”, Stan said, “but your grandfather is a very powerful trainer, he also has several badges, never forget that. He demands respect from the Pokémon he owns and they have no choice to but to give it to him. His Bond is so powerful he can control multiple Pokémon on the field at once, no easy task I assure you”.

         “Can you do it”? Chek asked.

         “He has been pushing his emotions and thoughts through the Bond from the moment the Pokémon materialized”, his father said ignoring the question. “The Bond is intangible but we know it exists. Why or how is beyond any of our scientific observations, which is why many people attribute it to supernatural causes. The important thing is, it exists, otherwise we wouldn’t exist as we do today. Without the Bond wild Pokémon could never become tame, we wouldn’t have had our loyal protectors as we built cities. We’d still be huddling in caves, frightened, and scattered without the Bond. Not everyone feels it as powerfully as others, and great trainers feel it on such a level their Pokémon’s thoughts and emotions and their own are hard to separate, this is especially true in the case of psychics”. He took a long draw from his beer as Professor Willow finished up.

         “Raticate, RETURN”. Willow held up the Pokéball and with a defiant screech the giant rat Pokémon shot back into the Pokéball via energy waves again. The light in the center of the Pokéball changed colors from white to red, indicating it was occupied.

         Stan smiled. “It’s going to take a little longer before that one’s considered “tame” by any means but any other person standing there might have been attacked on sight. Your grandfather is something to aspire to Chek, remember this day you saw this”.

         Professor Willow turned to them. “Your turn Chek”. The young boy swallowed hard as he palmed the Pokéball his father had given him. His hands felt clammy. Looking down he noticed they were shaking. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked up to see his grandfather smiling down at him. “Don’t be afraid Chek. You are going to be an amazing trainer like your father before you”.

         “Dad was good”?

         “One of the best”.

         “Hey now, let’s not bring up the past”, Stan said finishing his beer. He threw the bottle in a nearby trash can. “Okay Chek, make me proud. Throw it, me and granddad are here, nothing can go wrong”.

         Little Chek nodded and exhaled again, his shoulders dropping. “I can do this”. He said to himself. He closed his eyes and when he opened them he looked determined. He stepped towards the street.

         “Sandrock! GO”!

         “Well he’s named the thing already”, Willow said.

         Stan shook his head. “Wish he’d have waited for that. I don’t want to see him disappointed”.

         “He won’t be”. Willow said confidently, watching Chek intently, “he won’t be”.

         From the Pokéball a small Pokémon shot forth. A Sandshrew. This one was very young, only a foot tall. It could move on fours but at the moment it stood on two, looking in all directions for danger. It had a pale underbelly that gave way to small yellow scales that protected the rest of its body. In danger it could curl into a ball and avoid damage Chek recalled. It’s eyes were black and beady, it’s arms and legs sporting small little claws. It’s tail was stubby and it’s ears short as well. It was a darn cute thing Chek thought.

         “Now feel the Bond”. Stan instructed. “You feel it with Raiden sometimes. Open that part of your mind. It’s as easy as breathing”.

         Chek took a deep breath and tried to reach out to the Pokémon with his thoughts. The Sandshrew was looking worried now and it was frantically scanning all directions.

         “It’s going to bolt”, Willow warned, “Control Chek, control”.

         Chek concentrated hard. No. That was the wrong way. As easy as breathing, his father had said that for a reason. He relaxed, opening his mind to everything around him. The breeze, the trees, the people around him, the Pokémon in the city and suddenly it came in. Like a torrent the emotions flooded in. The Pokémon was scared. He had saw his family be torn apart by the aggressive Raticate. It’s mother was gone. It was alone in this world. Alone.

         Like Chek.

         Chek fell to his knees and burst into tears for what felt like the 100th time today, burying his face into his hands. But he couldn’t help it. The emotions and thoughts, however simple they may be, filled his head and overwhelmed him. He knew that pain. He knew it all too well.

         Suddenly he felt something touching he arm.

         “Well I’ll be god damned”, his father said. Professor Willow broke into a wide grin.

         The Sandshrew had approached Chek. It was laying it’s little paw on Chek’s arm as if to say, “don’t cry”. Chek wiped his tears with his other arm and laid his hand on the little Pokémon’s head, scratching behind his ears. The Pokémon immediately squinted it’s eyes in pleasure, nuzzling against his hand. Chek smiled broadly. “We’ll be good friends Sandrock. I know we will. We’ll always be there for each other”.

         “Shrew”! The Pokémon cried happily.

         Stan looked over at Professor Willow, amazement in his eyes.

         Professor Willow only nodded and looked back at Chek, pride in his eyes. “He’s going to be one of the greatest trainers this world has ever seen”.

         Stan looked back at his son as he played with the small Sandshrew, both of them rolling in the dirt by the road, playfully wrestling. Playful wrestling. With a wild Pokémon. Within a minute. “Unbelievable”, he gasped, “that is my son”.

**************************************


         Chek stood up from the rock he and Sandrock had been lying down on. It was a nice nap but it was time to move on. He had to continue his journey. He looked into his hands at the two gym badges that he had won so far. Sandrock had been able to dominate Lt. Surge and Koga because of type advantages but Misty or Erika would destroy him. He needed to recruit more help. The couple Pokémon he had now wouldn’t cut it. He looked back to the badges. He needed six more before he could face the Elite Four, the greatest trainers in the world. Could he do it? He looked down at Sandrock who looked back up at him. It had been thirteen years since the day he Bonded Sandrock although it seemed to him they had Bonded each other. Maybe that was the way it was really supposed to be.

         He stood up and began walking off into the tall grass and without having to say anything Sandrock hopped up as well and followed after him. Their journey together had only just begun.

The End…for now.
© Copyright 2012 TL (thecajunone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1894825-Hyper-Beam