*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895592-What-Can-You-Do
by Signe
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1895592
Kevin is just one of the many people that struggles with homelessness
Kevin strolls along the damp sidewalk, the rain pelting his small, fragile body. The shop windows glitter and twinkle with delicacies and treasures so heavenly, Kevin has to turn away for the knot that forms in his stomach. The sight brings tears to his eyes. Such beauty and longing can create such great pain. Oh, how I wish I could buy something great for Daddy. How I wish I could show him how much I really care. Kevin stops in front of a decorative display window and whimpers. Tears slide from his ocean blue eyes and fall from his face, hitting the pavement. Each teardrop sounds like boulders crashing into the ground. The display window turns into a rippling mess of colors within Kevin's vision. He slumps his shoulders and continues his walk through the town. He is going nowhere in particular. Each second feels like an eternity. He waits for his father to finish his day at work, so they can finally go to the shelter and eat their dinner. He drags his feet through the puddles. Slosh, slosh, slosh.

There are thousands of people in this world who share the same feelings as Kevin. They are unsure of what their future holds, because everything at the moment feels so unstable. Kevin does not have a permanent home, and his father works his very hardest to support his son and eventually crawl out of homelessness. Every day he tells his son that everything will be all right, but deep down he is uncertain about the future.

This is not a story of pity. Hopefully, it is a story of inspiration to get involved in your community and make differences in people's lives. Homelessness is one of the biggest problems that America faces today, and something needs to be done about it. Something as small as preparing a meal and serving it at your local homeless shelter fills people with happiness that you could not even imagine.

You are more capable of making a difference than you think. Instead of doing something for yourself, do something for someone in your community. It will brighten your day and cleanse your soul. Someone out there needs you...
© Copyright 2012 Signe (sgoddard16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895592-What-Can-You-Do