*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895853-Spellbound---Paranormal-Romance
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #1895853
First page of a current WIP
Nelda Jean’s brow was dry, her breathing becoming irregular. Haven murmured quiet reassurances. It wouldn’t be long now, she had seen death enough to know. Seven years as a hospice volunteer taught her the signs. Haven sighed. She had grown fond of Nelda Jean over the last few weeks. A quirky old woman with a distinctly blue hue to her rinse, Nelda read tarot for anyone who would stop to listen. Half the occupants in the home loved her, the other half were terrified of her.

Nelda Jean gasped, sucking in a lungful of air. Her eyes opened and her very lucid gaze settled on Haven. “I’m sorry,” she breathed, “no time..to..teach you.” Her grip was strong despite her tissue-thin skin.

Stunned, Haven covered Nelda’s hand with her own. With her other, she reached for the woman’s hair. “Shhh, it’s all right, I’m here.”

Haven tried to pull her hand from Nelda’s grasp but couldn’t. A strange, piercing sensation coursed up her arm, crossing her chest, zinging through her torso.

A white hot light raced through her body and invaded her mind. Millions of needles bit at her flesh, alien voices and images slammed into her mind, threatening to burst from behind her eyes. So many voices, begging, demanding, crying. The weight was too much to bear.

She tore her hand from Nelda’s grip, breaking the connection, crumpling to the floor.

Haven had held the hand of nearly a hundred people as they took their final breath. Nothing like this had ever happened before. Trembling, she stood up. Some people were touched by death, but Haven knew this was going to leave a mark.



© Copyright 2012 AutumnS (autumns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1895853-Spellbound---Paranormal-Romance