*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896183-Contest-entry---protagonist-backstory
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Avriel
Rated: 13+ · Other · Fantasy · #1896183
The first contest entry for the nanowrimo prep challenge, the protagonist backstory.
When Sarii entered her 13th year of life her clan selected her for a great honour: to be the clans' annual sacrifice to a vicious beast believed to be the blood god incarnate. Sarii's mother was not entirely sure about giving up her daughter, but refusal would have ensured death and dishonour for them both. Sneaking Sarii her prized antique pistols, remnants from an age of gunpowder long lost, she prayed in secrecy her daughter would be found unworthy of the blood gods' immense hunger. Abandoned in the beast's lair, Sarii proved a less than willing meal, and began her self taught path to warriorhood by blowing off the beasts' head. She knew that with this act of blasphemy, she would never be allowed to return to clan and home. So she wandered. For five years she survived in the barren wilds through a mix of determination, pistol shots and an innate talent for blood magic. She grew strong and fierce, able to take on even the powerful demons that prowled Valiera. When muscle or cunning wasn't enough, she carved the spell runes into her own flesh, becoming a sinister canvas of power. The gnats that swarmed her unnoticed proved more deadly than demons however, and she was striken with plague. Weak and vulnerable, she tried to outwait the fever in a mountain cave, only to be sniffed out by a nagibeast - a towering monstrosity with a nose for blood and a taste to match.

Abraxis lead his hunters out of their underground homes in search of meat for the table. Ten strong they followed Nagi tracks, hoping to gather the discarded remains it left behind. With such large maws, Nagi often trampled lesser creatures out of spite and left them to rot, seeking out larger meals.They followed the tracks to a canyon, edging out for a better view. The Nagi had cornered its victim against the rock face. The woman swung her spear in a wide circle with one hand, and held a dagger to the other bloody palm, flinging fire against the beast. It paid no attention to the fire that sizzled against its thick hide, knocking the woman off her feet.

"Leave it. The nagi wont be leaving any remains from that meal." Abraxis ordered, crawling back from the edge.
"She'l die if we leave her." Bane objected. "There's enough of us to distract it, if we get her away from the wall we can outrun it." Abraxis struck him backhanded.
"I lead this clan. None of us will risk death for some stranger too stupid to avoid a Nagi." He hissed. The other hunters began to move, and Abraxis turned away from him. Bane waited till he was out of arms reach, and swung over the edge. He clambered down leaping the last few rocks and burying his hatchet in the Nagi's back. The beast swung around, one clawed hand knocking him into the air. It caught him and began to crush, blood running into his eye and blinding him. Bane could only wheeze as he felt a rib snap, the beast squeezing ever tighter.
Abraxis watched impassively for a moment before walking away. "We move. Leave him to his death." A blast hit his ears, amplified by the canyon's wall. He spun and stared.

Bane gasped in pain as his cracked ribs expanded, drawing in air. The Nagi's head had suddenly developed a ragged gaping hole. It collapsed slowly. Swiping the blood from his eye Bane stared at the woman standing behind the beast, her pistol still raised. She swayed on her feet, face gaunt and sallow.

Abraxis allowed both Bane and Sarii to return to the clan on condition: Sarii must stay outside, away from all others, until all signs of disease dissapeared. It would have been a death sentence with winter approaching, but for Bane's care. He brought her food and water, built shelter from the wind, all the while staying far enough away to be out of risk of contagion. Bane became a social outcast for his disobedience, tolerated only for being useful, while Abraxis secretely hoped Sarii would die from her plague, ending the blood bond that stopped him taking the invaluable pistols from her. When she survived she was accepted into the clan with great respect and fear, a warrior and blood mage unsurpassed. Sarii's loyalty to Bane after he saved her life ensured him his place in the clan, regardless of rank. As they became ever more inseparable, and the clan's homeland became increasingly dangerous, Abraxis plotted against them both.

(As you can (hopefully) tell, the setting is an imagined post-apocalyptic style world, with the novel beginning after the events of the backstory.)
© Copyright 2012 Avriel (avriel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896183-Contest-entry---protagonist-backstory