*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896349-Mary-Lous-Unexpected-Christmas-Chap-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by turnip
Rated: E · Chapter · Family · #1896349
The life of a socially inept, insecure girl is interrupted by unknown forces. Love,hope.
      The wind was brisk and the sun sporadic as Mary Lou made her way home from school one fateful, December day. Bending into the wind, she mentally beat herself up, feeling like the world’s biggest sissy. “I’m weak! That’s what I am,” she growled at no one in particular, “I’d be home by now if I took the shortcut, but OH NO, not me. I have to chicken out and take the long way!”

     

      This was nothing new, she had this same conversation with herself daily… take the short cut and risk ridicule, or walk alone. The shortcut never won. It wasn’t that she didn’t like her classmates at Westview Middle School; it was the fact that she lacked the social skills needed to blend in. The thought of joining them filled her palms with sweat and turned her throat desert dry. She thought herself an unattractive freak of nature, a way-to-tall twelve year old with bright green eyes, unruly auburn hair with a will of its own and skinny limbs. The fact that she liked school and maintained an “A” average didn’t win her any favors. Her hobbies would never have people lining up to hang out either, when they were texting and prowling the mall, she was listening to music, watching old movies, painting or playing word games. As an only child,  her social training consisted of a job related gatherings she was forced to attend by her parents. She always felt like the proverbial elephant in the room nobody wanted to address.



    Whisking the hair from her face, she squealed as a wayward chunk of ice plunged into her boot. Hopping on one foot to shake out the intruder, her sock clad appendage dangled midair as she gazed at her neighbor’s Christmas decorations, sad that her house would never look that festive. Scowling, she retrieved the boot and resumed her trek, wondering what she was missing. The only thing her parents believed in, were school and hard work, not something as sentimental and unproductive as Christmas. They acknowledged the holiday, out of consideration for her, she supposed, but she knew it wasn’t as good as everyone else’s. She wanted family time, turkey, ham, carols, the Grinch and cookies



.    Spurred to action by the thought of a cup of hot cocoa, she tucked her head, letting her boots devour the walk. There was no time to prepare when the fire fell from the sky, driving her to her knees. Left with ringing ears and burning tears she cringed as the icy walk burrowed into her knees. Battling for a breath, she wondered if the scream she heard was her own. An eerie silence filled the air as the blood pounded in her ears. Cracking an eye, she looked around. Seeing that nothing was on fire or chasing her, she willed her trembling legs to stand. Reaching for her backpack, she prepared to run all the way home.



      When the light caught her eye, she was powerless to look away. A twinkle at first it brightened until it was all she could see. It beckoned, its unworldly voice burrowing into her brain, leaving her powerless.

.

      “Come Mary Lou, you are the chosen one,” it crooned.

© Copyright 2012 turnip (turnip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896349-Mary-Lous-Unexpected-Christmas-Chap-1