*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896982-Christmas-Magic
by sylvia
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1896982
The search for the perfect Christmas tree.
word count 576

The snow falls quietly, building up on the spreading arms of the pine trees. The dark green of the evergreen boughs sparkle against the stark white of the snow. The glistening carpet of white is swiftly wiping out all traces of humans. Roads are already covered with the sparkly, cold white flakes.

Deer snuggle down in the swamp under the evergreen trees. They tuck their noses in against their legs seeking that extra warmth. Winter birds move close to the trunk of the tree. Their dark feathers and bright yellow beaks are barely visible in the trees center. Rabbits peek from their holes waiting for the initial torrents to stop. Their soft brown fur is ruffled by the breeze. Even the hawk, who knows his prey will stand out nicely against the white blanket, waits for the snow to slow.

Three humans tramp through the snow. The tallest, a man, carries an ax on his shoulder. The next a woman trudges through the knee deep snow holding a lantern. Her boots scuff along breaking a trail for the smallest member of the party. The last member, a little girl, laughs at the snowflakes trying to catch them on her tongue, but, missing as the snowflakes build up on her eye lashes and blind her.

Their cabin window is the only bright light against the cloud of white. Even though the sun has not yet set, the snow has hidden its light.

The animals peeking from their shelters sense no harm from these humans. They watch curiously as the trio trudges along. Snippets of Christmas Carols float on the cold crisp air. An occasional scent of burning logs comes from the cabin as if to call these humans back to the warmth waiting for them.

“Only a further”, calls the girl. We saw it yesterday when we were walking. I told Daddy it was a great Christmas tree. Didn't I Dad? And he said we could cut it today because Christmas is this week.”

“OK, sweetheart” says the mother. Her face is reddened from the cold. She makes stamping sounds with her feet. She beats her arms and hands on her shoulders trying to warm them. The lantern light bounces and jiggles as she attempts to warm her hands.

Then up ahead, they see it. The perfect tree is standing alone in a clearing. It is small not much over 4 feet. Every branch is perfect. The sky is clearing behind the tree and the sun shining on the branches, make the snow shine as if the tree was artificially lit. It is a thing of beauty.

The child dances with joy, laughing and pointing she runs forward. She passes the father who slows his pace to let his wife catch up.

“This is it.” The girl calls excitedly. She runs forward to embrace the tree. As the parents arrive they see the tree up close. The branches are not as perfect as they appeared when viewed from a distance. There are gaps in some areas where the branches have broken off or grown in crooked.

“Don't you love it?” The girl calls. “It is perfect” says the father “Yes it is” says the mother. They look at each other over the little girls head and wish they could see the tree through her eyes. Those lovely brown eyes with the thick dark lashes are touched by the magic of Christmas and childhood what a wonderful combination.
© Copyright 2012 sylvia (syl1345 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1896982-Christmas-Magic