*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897183-The-Meeting
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Supernatural · #1897183
Young Lucas meets his father for the first time. A chapter from a story I'm working on.
    Lucas sipped on his chocolate milk, while forcing himself to listen to his mother as she rambled on. Her face was once again turning fire engine red as she talked about his father; her ex.

    “Are you listening?” She asked him as she inhaled deeply on the half completed cigarette, her 3rd in 15 minutes.

    “Uh-huh” Lucas answered taking a bite out of his toast.

    Lucas was mature for his 8 years. He had to be. He was raising himself, and forced to care for her. He loved her dearly, but wished she was more like other Moms he knew.  Lucas was often left alone to fend for himself while she worked two jobs, days as a waitress, and nights at a laundry. He cherished the little time he got to spend with her. Lucas was excited to finally meet his father, and although nervous, he certainly wasn’t afraid, like his Mom seemed to be. He didn't understand her fear.

    “Why are you afraid of dad? He asked her.

    The question surprised her. She initially answered it with a glare. He watched the vein on the side of her neck began to bulge. He had once again hit a nerve. She moved her head towards him for emphasis and looked into Lucas’s eyes and in almost a whisper, fighting for composure she explained.

    “Why am I afraid? Your father has spent more time in jail than as a father. He’s a no-good thief, liar, cheater, and woman beater. Do you hear me?” He watched her face contort into what he called her witches face, it was a face he saw more often than he cared to.“The only reason I'm letting you meet the son-of-a-bitch is for the promise of being permanently rid of him once and for all.” She slid the envelope towards him. “You make sure he opens this and signs the papers. The bastard made me drive all the way to this hell-hole so he could see you and sign these papers. Once that’s done, he’ll be forever out of our lives.”

    She took another long puff of her cigarette, exhaling into Lucas’s face. Lucas closed his eyes and held his breath. He didn't like the idea of never being able to see his father again. He opened his eyes and saw his mother watching the door behind her. He debated whether to ask the question welling up inside him, and decided he had to.

    “What if I want to see him again?” He asked with all the courage he could muster. She spun around; the question lighting her fuse. Lucas braced himself as the target of her deep seated rage.

    “Haven’t you heard a God-damned thing I’ve been telling you?” Lucas hated the way she talked. Most people, he knew, didn't talk like that. He wasn't sure why, but something inside him repulsed whenever she used those words. It was why he avoided talking to her, and built himself a private, safe world inside himself. He looked outside the window to watch a snow plow pass by wishing he hadn't asked the question. She fought to keep her voice from rising as she released her rage towards the man who gave her a son.

    “The man's a monster Lucas. Why do you think I'm letting him meet you here, in a Diner, with lots of people around? I'm afraid of what the bastard might try to do to you. I'm your mother, you’re my only child, and I’ll die before I see that man harm you.” She ended her tirade with a swift gulp of her black coffee, and a final puff of another expired cigarette.

    She looked at her watch and focused on her son while extinguishing the cigarette in the almost full ash tray. It was a look Lucas recognized, but rarely saw. That look was the one that turned him to jelly inside, and any other man that she decided to use it on. His mother was the prettiest girl he knew. He smiled, she reciprocated.

    “Ok kiddo. It’s almost time. Remember buddy, I’ll be sitting in the car across the road watching you every minute. Raise your hand if you need me. Give him the envelope and tell him to read and sign those papers.” Lucas nodded in affirmation, trying to listen to her instructions for the twelth time. “And whatever you do, don’t you let him take you out of this Diner! Do you understand me?” She commanded.

    “Yes. I understand Mom. I’ll be fine.” Lucas assured her. His heart leapt as they both turned towards the door hearing the ring of the entrance bell. A policeman entered, offering good mornings to each of the patrons as he took a seat at the counter. Lucas looked at his Mom, as a smile came to her lips.

    “A good omen.” She said standing up. She patted him on the head, and hugged him, whispering into his ear. “I’ll be watching you from the car.” Lucas nodded, noticing some tears welling up in her eyes. He felt emotion as well, wondering if it was fear our just butterflies. He watched her walk over to the cashier, point to him, and pay the tab. She waved at him as she left the diner. He waved back, not taking his eyes off of her as she crossed Clayton’s Main street. She opened the door to the big 1960 Pontiac she managed to borrow for the trip. She jumped into the car and flashed the headlights and waved at him. He waved back.

Lucas thanked the waitress for the third time as she refilled his chocolate milk. He glanced at his mother sitting in the car. He played with the brown legal envelope reacting each time to the door bell as patrons entered and exited the Diner. He watched as a number of people exiting together and noticed the headlights on the Pontiac flashing on and off. A few seconds later the door bell rang and Lucas watched as a man entered the Diner. He scanned the room his eyes landing on the policeman. He turned and walked towards Lucas stopping to greet the policeman. Lucas watched the man. He was tall and thin, clean shaven. He was wearing a Montreal Canadians toque and scarf. He pointed to Lucas with a smile as he shook the policeman's hand. The man walked over to Lucas’s table, and smiled at him.

    “You know you look just like her. Lord knows it better than lookin like me.” He smiled then looked out the window. “That’s her in that Pontiac across the street eh?” He asked nodding at the car. Lucas looked and could see her watching intently.

    “Hm–hmm.” He acknowledged.

    “That’s a pretty nice set a wheels. Elizabeth must be doing ok for herself.” He stated. Lucas knew his Mom's name was Elizabeth, but he rarely heard anyone actually use it. His Mom preferred to be called Becki.

    “Mind if I sit?” he asked pointing at the empty bench. Lucas shook his head. Lucas watched as he took off his coat and hanging it on a hook as he slid into the booth. He glanced at the envelope, then at Lucas. “ I'm Owen Minck. I'm your father Lucas, and I'm pleased to finally meet you” He said holding out his hand to introduce himself. Lucas shook his hand noticing he was still wearing gloves. Owen looked at the envelope again and smiled revealing a gold tooth. “I take it this is for me?” He took the envelope and opened it. Lucas didn't respond as he glanced a his mother in the car.

    “Good morning Owen, Coffee? Or would you like to see a menu?” the waitress asked. Owen glanced at her, and back at Lucas.

    “Good morning Donna. Have you met my son?” Owen asked with a smile of pride.

    “I sure have. He’s drinking us out of chocolate milk. He’s a fine looking boy Owen.”

    “You want something to eat Sport?” Lucas shook his head.

    “No. I already ate, but another chocolate milk would be fine.” He responded. Owen looked at the waitress with a smile.

    “Well Donna, looks like we’ll have another large chocolate milk for the boy, and I’ll have a coffee and an order of toast, with some of that fine home made blueberry jelly.”

    “Coming right up” She answered walking away. Lucas watched as his dad read over the papers.

    “This should satisfy her. Lord knows Becki was always good at getting what she wanted.” He said as he signed the documents. “ Wasn't much of a marriage, I think we may have spent all of a month together.” He looked at Lucas. “Long enough to make you Sport.” He stated with a smile. He folded the papers and placed them back into the envelope. “You’re a fine looking boy. How old are you anyway? 11? 12?” He asked.

    “I’m eight sir.” Lucas answered as the waitress served them.

    “What’s with this sir business? My name’s Owen. I’d prefer dad or pop, but I can understand you not considerin me to be neither.” Lucas didn't no  how to respond. He certainly didn't consider Owen to be his dad. Given the stories his mother has told him, he wasn't sure if he was more afraid than curious. “So you’d be in grade 5 or 6 then?” Owen said taking a drink of his coffee.

    “Grade 4” Lucas answered, leaving out the sir. It didn't feel right to address him by his name. He needed to get right to the point. ”Mom says you’re a woman beater.” Lucas stated thinking Owen didn't seem to be at all the monster his Mom described.

    “ I'm sure she did. Along with many other flatterin' stories no doubt?” Owen answered looking at the boy. “Lucas, I’m not goin to lie to you, I've done many things in the past I wish I could reverse. I've stolen, lied, cheated, and have beaten on other men. But I've never once beat on any woman, especially your Mom!” He paused looking directly into Lucas’s eyes, and continued. “My actions were caused by my love of alcohol. Do you know what an alcoholic is Lucas?” Lucas nodded in affirmation.

    "My friend Steven says his dad's an alcoholic." Lucas replied knowingly. He left out he part where Steven said he bet his mom was one too.

    “Is that right? Well I'm an alcoholic too, and been clean almost thirteen years.” Owen noticed the dirty ashtray, noting Becki still chain smoked.

    “She told me you went to Jail for hurting a man.”

    “That’s the truth.” Owen acknowledged. He pulled a book out of his coat pocket. “Look Lucas, the truth is you’re mother and I should never have come together, but what is done is done. The one thing she can never take from me is the fact that I'm your father. I don’t know what stories she's told you about me, and frankly I don’t care. Who I was back then is not who I am today.” Lucas listened intently as his father spoke. Lucas felt his sincerity and wished his Mom was able to hear him. “Even though I'm your father Lucas, I'm obligated to introduce you to your true father.” Owen placed the red leather Bible on the table in front of Lucas. Lucas was puzzled. He looked at the book and picked it up. “Do you know what the Bible is Lucas?” Owen asked. Lucas nodded once again in affirmation.

    “It’s the story of God; our Father in Heaven” He answered. "We have a Bible that belonged to Grandma Vandray”

    “That’s right buddy.” Owen smiled watching him thumb through the pages. “Lucas, it’s unlikely your mother will let me see you again, and legally she’s not obligated to. Once you’re old enough, and if you still want to look me up, use the address on the back page.” Lucas turned to the back page and saw some handwriting. “I would like you to promise me one thing.” Owen watched Lucas thumb through the pages. He looked at his father wondering what he was going to ask.

    “I’ll try.” Lucas answered sincerely.

    “When you're able to, probably grade 8 or 9, I want you to promise me you will read the entire book of Luke. It’s the one marked by the red piece of tape.” Lucas opened to the page.

    “Thats like my name!” He asked confused by the connection. Owen smiled.

    “Your right! Luke was a man that lived a long time ago, and he is telling a story about another man named Jesus. Do you think you can make me that promise Sport?” Owen saw Lucas smile.

    “Yes sir” Lucas replied. He expected he would try to read it sooner than later. Owen finished his coffee, took a bite of his toast and looked at his watch.

    “I have one more thing I want to give you.” He pulled out a wallet and placed a $100.00 dollar bill on the table. “When is your birthday Lucas.” He asked holding the bill on the table.

    “February 29 1960. I was born on a leap year. So we usually have it on February 28th. ” Lucas explained

    “How about that. Your going to be nine in a couple of weeks!” Owen replied. “I never met anyone born on February 29th before. I’m going to give you this $100.00 dollar bill. I want you to take it and buy yourself a real nice birthday gift with it. Buy anything you want Sport. I just ask one thing. Don’t give it to your Mom, and don’t tell her I gave it to you Ok?

    “Ok.” Lucas agreed.

    “I know your Mom’s watchin' close out there, so I'm going to hand it to you under the table.. When you can, hide it away in your shoe or better yet inside your sock.” Owen handed him the bill beneath the table. Lucas stuffed it in his coat pocket.

    “Wow, thank you sir. I've never seen more than a $20.00 dollar bill before.” Lucas stated feeling the bill in his pocket.

    “Your welcome sport.” He handed him a $20.00 dollar bill over the table, knowing she would be watching. ”Remember this is just between you and me Ok?” Owen winked for emphasis."Better yet, lets put this $20.00 dollar bill in the Bible Ok?"

    “Ok.”

    “Hey. You ever play cards?” Owen asked pulling a deck of cards out of his coat pocket. He wanted to relish the rest of his limited time with his son, after which he had no clue if he’d ever see him again. He decided to use the time he had to learn as much about his son as he could.

    “I know Crazy Eights.” Lucas answered. He watched as his father shuffled the cards. He thoroughly enjoyed the time they spent playing cards, talking about hockey, and telling jokes. Lucas learned that his father worked in a lumber mill, was a volunteer fire-fighter, and part Indian. He was living just outside Clayton on a tiny Indian reserve with his uncle, and had a girlfriend named Susan who was a nurse. Lucas concluded that his father was not at all man his mother portrayed him to be. Lucas was proud of this man. And respected him no matter what his mother said.

    Owen looked at the clock on the wall, to make sure his watch was correct. It was noon, and it was time to say goodbye. He thought of staying a little longer but didn't want to subject his son to Becki’s ugly wrath.

    “Well sport, unfortunately its that time.” Owen stated with some emotion. Lucas felt it too.

    “Uh-huh.” Acknowledged Lucas.

    “I hope you've enjoyed this time we've had together as much as I. I also hope and pray that our paths will cross once again son.” Owen stated with sincerity. He stood up and put on his coat. Lucas jumped out of his booth and hugged him. He felt some tears in his eyes.

    “I promise I will come and see you again some day dad.” He choked as he spoke. Owen placed his hand on his head. He picked up a napkin to wipe his tears.

    “Thanks Sport.” He looked Lucas in the eyes and smiled. He fought too contain his emotion “Until next time then?” Lucas let him go and watched him leave the Diner. He paused to stare at Becki sitting in the car across the street. Then turned and walked out of sight.

    Lucas had to pee. He walked towards the door of the Diner and watched his Mom jump out of the car. He waited for her to enter the Diner.

    “Well then…have fun?” she asked in her usual sarcastic tone.

    “I gotta pee Mom.” Lucas answered ignoring her question. She pointed to the restrooms.

    “The bathroom’s over there. I’ll wait for you at the table. Don’t forget to wash your hands!” She instructed as Lucas ran towards the back of the Diner. He opened the restroom door and locked it. He sat on the toilet to pee, and examined the 100 dollar bill more closely.  He thought about the best place to hide it, and agreed with Owen. Lucas removed his left shoe and sock placing the $100.00 dollar bill in his sock. He washed up, and walked back to the booth. He noticed his mother looking at the papers from the envelope while she puffed on another cigarette. She smiled as he jumped into the booth.

    “Well it’s finally done. We’re free of that bastard” She smiled stuffing the divorce papers into her purse. She noticed the red leather book, grabbing it.
“What’s this? A Bible? He gave you a God damned Bible? The bastard probably stole it out of a Motel room.” She looked at him. “You can't even read!” She thumbed through it, watching him. “How much did he give you? The man has never seen his son. The only thing he can give you, besides a damn Bible is a little money. Where is it? Lucas helped her open to the back page of the Bible to find the $20.00 bill. It seems Owen knew Mom well. “$20 bucks, that’s it? I don’t think so. Empty those pockets young man!” she commanded. He obeyed and stood up pulling his pockets inside out. She checked all of his pockets then went through his parka, finding only a few pennies. “That son-of-a-bitch! After eight years all he sees fit to give you is $20.00 bucks.” She paused staring at him. “You see how much you’re worth to him. That bastard!” She stuffed the bill in her purse.

    “He also paid the lady for my chocolate milks and gave me the Bible.” Lucas added, feeling hurt, once again, by his mother’s attack on his father.

    “Oh yeah, right…a Bible. You can't even read Lucas!” she exclaimed.

    “I do so know how to read, and how to use a dictionary.” Lucas rebuked. She opened the Bible thumbing through the pages, as if expecting to find something more.

    “Whatever!” She slammed the book closed and threw it at him.

    “Put your coat on, its time we leave this Hell hole.” she said while stuffing the envelope in her purse.

    “Don't forget to fasten your belt!” she commanded him as she lit up another cigarette. Lucas fastened the seat belt wondering why his mom never felt it necessary to wear hers. The car was a mess, littered with coffee cups, ashes, candy wrappers, maps, and newspapers. He cracked his windows open a little to get some fresh air. She started the car and threw it into gear. She turned to him in the back seat. "Your belt fastened?" she asked again looking to see the belt around his waist.

    "Uh-huh." Lucas replied as he felt the car pulling out onto the street.

    “Lets go home, shall we?” she said as the pulled onto Main St. Lucas expected he would sleep through most of the long drive home. He watched the buildings pass by as they headed out of Clayton. He saw a police cruiser as they drove through an intersection. He also noticed it was beginning to snow.

    “Shit!” His mother exclaimed. Lucas heard the siren, and looked out the back window seeing the police cruiser following them.

    “What did you do Mom?” He asked.

    “Nothing. I'm just trying to get out of this God-forsakened hell hole.” She answered as she pulled the car over.  She rifled through her purse. She composed herself, checking herself in the rear view mirror, freshening up her already abundant lipstick. Lucas had witnessed his mother throw on the charm many times. To her credit, she was very good at it. Lucas watched the policeman walk to her window and tap it with his knuckle. She opened the window and greeted the police officer. “Good morning officer. How are you this morning” She greeted with her most persuasive sugar voice.

    “Good morning Ma'am. Do you know why I pulled you over? He asked as opened up a citation book. He ducked down to look into the car, glancing at Lucas.

    “Why no I don’t. Is one of my tail-lights burnt?, or did I forget to signal, or something?” She responded with her dumb blonde act.

    “You ran a red light Ma'am. You should also be wearing a seat belt. Can I see your license, insurance, and registration papers please?” The officer asked in a very official voice, not buying the sweet innocent girl trick. Lucas noticed his mother’s face begin to turn its “pissed-off” shade of red as she rifled through her purse once more. She handed him the papers not saying a word. “Thank you Ms. Minck.” Lucas saw her wince.

    “Its Vandray, I'm divorced.” She corrected the policeman.

    “ I'm obligated to use the name on the paper Ma'am. Is this your car Ma'am?

    “No. It’s borrowed from a friend.”

    “I need to see the insurance papers as well.”

    “I gave them to you.” She responded sharply.

    “They’re not here Ma'am. I have your driver’s license and vehicle registration. I also need to see proof of insurance.” The policeman stated in a mechanical and official voice. Lucas watched as his mother began to lose it.

    “God damn it! I'm in a rush! I have a ten hour drive ahead of me, my son isn’t feeling well, and you’re asking for me to give you proof of insurance.” She dumped the contents of the purse on the front seat. “What the hell does it look like, take a look here…can you see it? She pointed at the mess on the car seat. The policeman didn't bother to look.

    “That’s fine Ma'am. If you can’t find it, you have seventy-two hours to bring proof of insurance to the station, otherwise it will cost you another $72.00, on top of the $60.00 for running the red light. I'll give you a break for the seat belt as long as you put it on right now.” Lucas was embarrassed for his mother as she began to tear a strip off the policeman.

    “What!. You mean to tell me I have to bring a piece of paper to the police station located here in this god-forsaken hell hole? I live twelve hours away from here mister. This isn't even my god-damned car, and if…”The policeman interrupted popping his head into the window.

    “I strongly suggest you cool down before you say something that will land you in deeper trouble!” The policeman warned. “You can take your insurance papers to any OPP detachment in the province, saving you a trip to our God forsaken hell hole. Got it!.” The policeman instructed in a very official tone. Lucas had never seen anyone talk to his mother like that and get away with it.

“Got it” She replied in a resigning voice.

“Good. Here are your papers, and here is your citation. Now fasten your seat belt ma'am, and better yet you may want to stay in town for the night.

There’s a severe winter weather warning alert for the entire County which is going to make driving dangerous. The Sleep Rite Motel is just up the road to your left.” Lucas knew his mother was too stubborn to take the policeman’s advice.

“Thank you for your advice officer.” She smiled as she rolled up the window. She punched the car into gear and accelerated onto the highway. Lucas watched the policeman shaking his head as they drove away.
© Copyright 2012 MustFillPage (mustfillpage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897183-The-Meeting