*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897324-Shadowdancer
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1897324
Hiding in the shadows was easy
Hiding in the shadows was easy and riding on the tail of the south wind was exhilarating. However, glowing in the moonlight was always his favorite, perhaps because it was forbidden for so long. He wondered if he would like it as much, now that he was allowed everything. Perhaps he could even try a few new things, like shining in the sun or mastering a tornado.

He intended to keep his newfound freedom and fulfill his part of the bargain. He would see her safe...

***

Dust devils swirled around Daria in her passage across the vast steppe. Heather dotted the tall grass, and she kept close to the barely visible path. Her peasant garb and brownish cloak provided a good disguise. It would be useless if anyone got wind of her real reason of taking this tedious journey.

The steppe was the same, for miles in every direction, and the dust devils were a welcome diversion from the monotony of her travel. She gave one a wide berth, even if only to avoid spooking her horse. In the middle of the wilderness there was nobody to help her should she fall and get injured.

As soon as she returned to the path, another dust devil popped on the other side.  She went around it, only to have a new one teasing her again. She smiled and spurred her horse to a canter. The dust devil ran along her in a mock contest.

"A shadowdancer!" she exclaimed with delight.

The dust devil stopped and tumbled in greeting. Daria beamed and joined the merry game with abandon. The trip promised to be entertaining after all.

So caught was she in her merriment that she didn't see neither the dust devil vanishing, nor the ferocious hound approaching in a cloud of dust. Her horse reared and threw her off the saddle.  She landed hard on her back, and the world went dark. 

She basked in a warm embrace, a pleasant breeze caressing her face. Daria felt safe and slowly drifted to consciousness. Then fear seized her and she opened her eyes, but she was alone.

She stretched her arms and her legs, and to her relief, there was no damage beyond certain soreness. She pushed herself up and hobbled to her horse. She stopped with horror at the sight of the hound. It was almost as big as she, with eyes rimmed with red. Only magic could produce the vacant stare and bloodshot eyes on the hound. Daggers of ice went through her at the realization that someone knew of her mission. It was a luck her horse managed to kill the hound in its fright. She rounded the horse then fear gripped her again. The hound's skull was shattered, probably from the impact with a large rock.

She looked around her again; however, she could see no one. Whoever helped her vanished while she was unconscious. She only hoped her luck would hold and next time... Because she knew, as sure as the sun would rise tomorrow, there would be a next time. 

The dust devils tentatively whirled again around her. However, Daria was in no mood for playing. She kept the horse at a steady pace, and she followed the path as close as she could. The dust devils continued their antics, dancing and juggling the dried heather. Daria was grateful for the company; however, for many days, she didn't stray. She stopped only to rest and to sleep at night. A moonless sky offered her a good night sleep for the tedious day ahead.

After many nights, the moon raised, round and white, up in the sky, casting a soft light on the heather. A warm breeze blew around her, and Daria decided to forgo the fire.  She thoroughly rubbed the horse after a day of riding and turned to prepare her bed. 

Her mouth agape, she watched the silvery shape of a man outlined by the soft glow of the moon. The moonlight covered him much like a dancer's costume. He turned his head, and the moonbeams outlined his face. He gave her a startled smile and vanished.

She went without the fire for the next few nights, as much as she tried, she never caught again the silvery shape bathing in the moonlight.

Her journey was nearing its end, as the jagged shape of the mountains became visible in the distance. It was late afternoon, and Daria let herself hope she might survive the journey. A cloud of dust that only managed to dull the gleam of the armors, dashed her hopes. 

She kept riding, as she had little choice but readily to meet her fate, whatever it was. It took all she had to keep her wits with around her, and she failed to notice the missing dust devils.

She only saw, in wonder, the tornado, so tall it looked to meet the sky, whirling in the riders' path. She couldn't hold a cry when it ripped through their ranks, in a cacophony of armors and weapons.

Horses whined and fell; knights cried in anguish and surprise, and armors met the ground with a loud thud.

Then it was silent. Above the horizon, the sky lit up in an orange haze, filtering through the thinning cloud of dust. The sunbeams pulsed in the shape of a man. On his knees, he held his head in his hands and struggled to rise.

Daria run to him and as he rose she stepped into the sunlight surrounding him.

"Shadowdancer" she murmured.

***

He didn't know how long he felt the much-needed warmth sipping into him, with the last of the sunshine.  He only saw the wavering golden light surrounding her and pushed her away. He'd always wonder if she rushed to him knowing the consequences of healing him. A little bit longer and...

If he had a heart, it would belong to her. As it stood, he didn't.

Because hiding in the shadows was easy.

© Copyright 2012 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897324-Shadowdancer