*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897690-The-Perfect-Gift
by Molly
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1897690
Eileen is horrified when she gets just what she wants for Christmas.
She was only gone long enough to grab the checkbook she forgot and lock the door, but when Eileen returned Alyssa wasn’t crying like before. She was horrified as she adjusted her rearview mirror and found the car seat empty. The memory of that moment brought back the same sick feeling in her stomach, the numb sensation in her limbs, and a feeling of unreality—some sort of dream. If she had only remembered the keys, or taken the baby with her, or closed the garage door…if only…

With each passing day, Eileen’s prayers for the safe return of her child had gone unanswered, but she was diligent in her search. Even if the worst had happened to her baby, Eileen prayed the body would be found, so her little Alyssa could have a proper burial. She along with her family, friends and neighbors traded shifts to help with distributing fliers and buttons, hoping someone could help her find her baby.


****


Eileen sat at the table sipping her morning coffee. The doorbell rang. “Who could that be this early?” Eileen mumbled to herself. She rose from the table and tied her robe. Peeking through the peephole she saw her neighbor Betsy. She opened the door.
“Hi, hon,” She stepped inside and laid a stack of flyers on table. “I brought these over so you could get them out later.” Betsy noticed her friends pallid complexion and the dark rings around her eyes. “I know this is torture for you, but you have got to get some rest.”
Eileen sat down at the table and rested her cheek on her fist. “I know, but I just feel as though someone knows what happened. Why aren’t they coming forward?”
Betsy sat beside Eileen and rubbed her hand. “I’m sure someone will see her soon. I bet one of those crazy ladies that can’t have children was stalking you, and she took her.” Betsy leaned in as if she were telling a secret. “I even heard a story about a crazy woman that cut a baby from the womb.”
“You think so? You think someone is taking care of her?” Tears glistened in Eileen’s eyes. “It’s awful for people to be so desperate, but I’d rather Alyssa be with a crazy lady…instead of worse… you know.”
“I know, dear. Lord knows there are some crazy people in this world, but we’ll keep praying and putting her picture out there.”
“I do appreciate all everyone has done… I do, but it just doesn’t seem to be getting us anywhere.” Eileen pulled a tissue from a box on the table to dab her eyes.
“I know, dear. We just got to keep going.”
Eileen stood up. “Where are my manners? Do you want a cup of coffee, Betsy?” She reached for cup.
Betsy stood. “I’ll take a rain check, hon. I have to go home and calm Scoot. He’s raving mad that we won’t let him have of one of the Ming’s kittens.”
“Why not? Are you or Roy allergic?” She asked, placing the cup back in the cupboard.
“No, nothing like that. It’s Scoot, you know how he is kind of slow, but he’s very loving, and well, last year we bought him bird, and well, when it kept making noise, he held its beak shut so hard...” She lowered her voice. “He killed it. Not on purpose of course, but he doesn’t understand some things, you know?”
“I bet that was devastating for him.”
“Yeah, poor boy. We think he accidentally smothered it. Holding the beak too tightly.” Betsy opened the door. “I gotta run, but I’ll come back later to help you hang flyers and give away buttons.”
“That’d be great, Bets.”
Eileen smiled thinking about Betsy. She used to feel bad for her, having a mentally challenged child, like Scoot, but she was lucky she did have him. Scoot was actually an adult—24 years old, but he still had the mind of child. His real name is Scott, but he had trouble saying his name and it came out Scoot, so it kind of stuck.
Eileen’s mind again returned to her missing daughter, as she wondered if she’d ever even get to hear her child’s voice or watch her grow into a young lady. She would be like Betsy and love her daughter, even if she was less than perfect.

****

Betsy returned that afternoon. She and Eileen began distributing more flyers around town.
“Maybe we should go over to Benton and put up some flyers. If someone took her to keep, they wouldn’t stay here,” Eileen said, stapling a fresh flyer over the worn one that clung to the pole.
“Good idea, dear. Let’s work our way back to the car and we’ll do that. If we got time, we’ll run over to Crosley, too.”
“I know they show Alyssa’s picture on television, but I still want to put these flyers everywhere I can.”
Eileen and Betsy stapled flyers to every pole in two different counties. It was midnight before Eileen made it home.
Her husband, Robert, met her at the door in a panic. “I tried to call you.”
“My cell phone is –“
He grabbed Eileen’s shoulders. “That doesn’t matter.” He eyes were wild with excitement. “The police called. There was a baby girl brought into Deerborn County Hospital. The parents didn’t have a birth certificate or any kind of records for her—“
“You mean?” Eileen held her husband, crying
“They think so, but they have to make sure, so first thing in the morning, we go give a DNA sample to find out.”
Eileen dropped to the floor and sobbed. Robert knelt down and helped her up. “You must be exhausted and overwhelmed. Let’s get you some tea, so you can relax.”
Robert and Eileen sat up half the night, looking through pictures of Eileen when she was pregnant, looking at the first photos of their baby. They fell asleep, entwined together on the couch and woke the next morning to a knock at the door.
Eileen jumped up. “Robert, wake up! Someone’s at the door,” She said, looking at her watch, “and we got to go to the test.” She peeked out the peephole. “It’s Betsy and Scoot.” She opened and the door and immediately filled Betsy in on the good news.
“That’s wonderful, dear.” She hugged Eileen. “I won’t keep you. I just wanted t invite you over for dinner on Christmas Eve.”
Scoot reached up to touch Eileen’s hair. He rubbed it between his fingers as his mother spoke. Betsy pushed his hand down and scowled at him. “You know it is nice to touch someone like that.” She whispered to Eileen. “He thinks you’re pretty, and he likes to touch soft things.”
“Oh, why that’s sweet.” She patted Scoot’s shoulder. “Sure, we’ll come. I’m so excited right now. I just have a good feeling about this news…I can’t concentrate. Call me later Bets and fill me in on the time and what to bring, okay.”
“Sure thing, but you don’t need to bring anything. I want you to relax and have a nice holiday.”
Scoot whispered something to his mother. She smiled. “He wants to know what you want form Santa.”
Eileen smiled. “All I want is my baby girl back in my arms.”
“I sure hope you get it, hon.” Betsy took Scoot’s hand and led him out. He turned, smiling and waving shyly at Eileen.
After Betsy left, Eileen rushed to get dressed, so they could leave.

****

At the police station Sergeant Myers filled the couple in on what they knew before sending them to give their DNA samples. “A baby girl, your daughter’s age was brought into a hospital with bronchitis. When the nurse asked about shot records to make sure the baby was up to date, the mother said the baby never had shots. She was asked about birth certificate and such, but she said it was a home birth.” He took a sip of coffee, while looking over his note. “The nurse at the hospital did a little digging and found out from the woman’s family that she can’t have children. “
“So, where is she now?” Eileen asked.
“She’s in foster care, while we get this worked out.”

****

As they left the testing facility, Eileen held her husband’s hand and smiled. “I have good feeling about this Robert, I really do.”
“Just know, it is possible that it’s not our baby.” He kissed her hand. “I don’t want you getting your hopes up too high, just to take a crushing blow.
“I understand. I’m just feeling so good. This is the first positive thing to happen since this all began. “She let go of his hand skipped toward the car. “I think we should do some Christmas shopping. I want to get something for Betsy and Scoot.”
“Okay,” Robert smiled, enjoying his wife’s elated mood.
Eileen picked out a beautiful vase for Betsy a small, soft stuffed kitten for Scoot. She showed it to Robert. “I think I’ll get this for Scoot.” She petted the soft fur. “He had a bird once and he accidentally smothered it, but he can’t hurt this one, and he really wants a kitten for Christmas.” She put the soft kitten up against her cheek. “He can love this one all he wants and it won’t make a sound.”
“Good idea,” Robert replied. “He’ll love it I’m sure.”
With only three days until Christmas, Eileen was sure they’d know by Christmas morning whether the baby they found was her Alyssa. She went home and began decorating, while Robert put a tree. Next, she hung her and Robert’s stocking. She hung a small pink one with an A stitched onto it.
Robert reached over to plug in the tree lights.
“Wait, wait,” Eileen called. She jogged backwards to get a better view of the tree. “Go, ahead. Light it up.”
The tree lit up and green, red and white lights all chased on another around the tree.
“It’s beautiful, our baby will love it.”
Robert stood and watched the joy on his wife’s face. The first time he’s seen her so alive in months. He wanted to remind her that nothing is definite, but he’d didn’t want to ruin her good mood. It was so nice—for the both of them.

****

They woke the next morning refreshed and feeling optimistic. Eileen spent the day wrapping presents and baking some Christmas cookies to take with them to Betsy’s dinner.
She hummed as she took cookies out and put another pan in. “What do you think, red sprinkles or green?” She asked holding up two jars of sprinkles and shaking them.
“Both,” Robert replied, smiling.
Eileen nodded. “Both it is.” She reached into the cabinet to get more sugar and noticed a face squished against her kitchen window. She let out a scream and the face disappeared. Holding her chest, she heaved. “I think it was Scoot. Can you look outside, Robert?”
Robert opened the back door. Scoot stood in their yard covering his ears.
“Come on in, buddy. Have some cookies.”
He uncovered his ears, walked inside and sat down.
“Scoot you scared the life out’a me.” She offered him a cookie.
He accepted.
The timer sounded on the oven. Scoot jumped up and ran holding his ears. “
“It’s just the oven timer.” Eileen shut it off. “See it’s gone.” She turned to Robert. “Maybe you should call Bets.”
Betsy came right over and pulled Scoot up by his arm. “You know better than be out wandering around by yourself.” She turned to Eileen. “I’m sorry, hon. Sometimes he slips away from me. Usually to his tree house, but not always.” She pulled on Scoot’s arm. “Let go, Scotty Dale.”
“It’s okay, Betsy. He didn’t cause any trouble. We were just worried because the oven timer scared him.”
“Well, thanks for calling. I’ll see you tomorrow night.” She led Scoot out, scolding him.

****

The next night the couple walked over to Betsy’s and rang the doorbell. Scoots answered the door. He was wearing a suit and kept pulling at his tie.
Betsy stood at the dining room doorway. “Come on in kids.” She placed a ham in the center of the table. “You’re right on time.”
“I made these for later. “ Eileen offered Betsy the tray of cookies.
“Why, thank you, dear.” She said, taking the tray. “They look delicious and so festive.” She removed the plastic wrap and placed them on the table. “Go ahead and have a seat, everything is ready.”
After dinner they sang Christmas carols until time to open presents.
Betsy gave Eileen and Robert beautifully wrapped gifts.
Eileen nudged Robert. “I forgot the presents. They’re at home on the bureau.”
“No problem, I’ll run over and get them.” Robert gave Eileen a peck on the cheek.
As Robert walked into the house he noticed a light blinking on the answering machine. He rushed over and hit the button.
“Hello, Robert and Eileen. This is…I’m just calling, well, the DNA wasn’t a match.” Robert took his time walking back across the street. How do I tell her the bad news? On Christmas Eve?
He slowly opened Betsy’s door and watched as Eileen held a sweater up to her chest—a gift from Betsy. She jumped up when she saw Robert walk in. She took the presents from his hand, but noticed the despondent look on his face. “You okay?”
He leaned over and whispered. “Give them the presents and let’s go home. We need to talk.”
Eileen felt sick. She knew it was bad news and tears filled her eyes. “No, No!” She shook her head and dropped the presents.
Betsy touched her shoulder. “What is it?”
Robert swallowed hard, trying not to cry. “It wasn’t a match, no Alyssa.”
“I’m so sorry, dear.” Betsy hugged Eileen.
Eileen broke free from the embrace and ran across the street and Robert ran after her.

****

Eileen took a sleeping pill and lay in Robert’s lap sobbing, until she finally drifted off. A knock at the door woke them the next morning. Robert shook Eileen. “Someone’s at the door, hon.”
She sat up.
Robert answered the door and let Betsy and Scoot inside.
“How is she?” Betsy whispered.
Robert shook his head.
Scoot ran over with a large box, wrapped haphazardly in silver paper with a large red bow. He handed it to Eileen and swayed back and forth in excitement.
“Scoot insisted on bringing this over. He said it’ll make you happy.”
Eileen gave a fake smile and slowly slid the bow off the box and removed the wrapping paper. She lifted the lid, and at first, she look puzzled, but then recoiled in horror. She jumped up, letting out a shrill scream. The box fell to the floor and a small, frozen, partially decomposed corpse tumbled out and rolled across the carpet.
© Copyright 2012 Molly (gooble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897690-The-Perfect-Gift