*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897796-Dancing-Fae
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1897796
A columnist intended to write an article on the supernatural for Halloween.
I groaned as I sat up. My head felt like I had purposely slammed it into a brick wall multiple times. I blinked a few stars from my vision and shook my head, trying to clear away some of my confusion.
That done, I looked around me, and got even more confused.
I was in a huge, circular cave I could only characterize as an alcove. The dry earth was covered in soft moss, kind of like a fluffy carpet. Vines ran along the cold, rough stone walls and the dome-like ceiling, crisscrossing and interlacing like long, thin green fingers. Sharp crystals protruded in random places from the rock, sending shards of multicolored light everywhere. An arc-shaped opening in the rock led to a long hallway, lit by the same luminescent crystals, that stretched farther than I could see.
Where was I? I tried to remember how I got into this mess.
It was then that I realized my camera wasn't with me. Oh no. Oh, God, no. That was probably what got me here to begin with.

The night was clear and the moon had not yet reached its peak. I was lying on my stomach, hiding behind some tall bushes around the clearing. Pale moonlight bounced of the boulders that formed a huge circle in the middle of the clearing. It was here that my eyes were trained, and my camera directed. I lay there, waiting and unmoving, my weary eyes trying not to miss even the slightest movement.
I did not have to wait long. Soon enough, twinkling lights started to appear. The lights were small at first, but they gradually grew larger, dimming as they did so, until instead of lights, tall, slender beings about seven feet tall could be seen.
Male and female alike, the beings were beautiful, and elegantly garbed in long flowing cloaks of earthly tones. Their beauty was bewitching, magnificent to behold, and eerie. There was something inhuman about them, something completely unnatural, yet more in tune to nature than anything I had seen before.
Their eyes were just shining slits of black, their skin ranging from the palest of all colors to as dark as the night itself. Hair even longer than the beings themselves were of the darkest of hues. The beings moved with lithe, delicate, graceful movements and nimble, harmonious steps in time with a fast, alluring rhythm. Not once did they miss a beat nor trip on the hair that seemed as alive as they were. Their clothes shimmered in ways no fabric I had ever seen did.
The whole scene was enticing. I don't know how long I lay there, just watching in awe and wonder. It wasn't until one of the beings turned to the direction I was, deliberately, and smiled. She made a gesture, and I blacked out.


And here I was. Sleep-deprived, tired, and no pictures to show for my work. I had no idea where my camera was, and I had an article due tomorrow. Or was it today. A new horror dawned on me as I realized that I didn't know what time it was, or what day. A week might have already passed. I might have already lost my job!
If I ever saw a human again. Or light of day.
No. Bad, bad Cliff. Don't be pessimistic! You won't die here! I thought desperately. You won't die here, all alone, away from civilization, forgotten...
I put my hands to my ears, as if that would stop the small voice in my head. It didn't. But it turns out I had other things to worry about.
A long shadow fell across me. Mortal.
The voice came from out of nowhere. It was hard to determine if it belonged to a man or a woman. I looked up to see one of the beings in a brown cloak, a hood drawn so low it covered its face.
I gulped. I was so screwed
© Copyright 2012 The Skeletal Valkyrie (wickedeath at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1897796-Dancing-Fae