*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1900590-The-Monster-and-The-Ghost
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1900590
Contest entry but missed the deadline. Picture prompt: a door handle..
       

         “So, what do you think’s waiting on the other side of the door?” Tommy asked.

         “I’m sure it’s scary, whatever it is!”  Jason’s voice quivered with fear and excitement.

         The older boy looked down at the younger one.  “Think so?  Monsters, maybe?” 

         “No, no monsters.  Ghosts.”

         Tommy squinted.  “Ghosts?”

         “Yea, of those boys that went missing a few months ago.  No one ever found them.”

         “Could be.” Tommy cocked an eyebrow at Jason.  “You sure you want to open it?  See what’s on the other side? You brave enough?”

         Jason hopped from foot to foot.  Hesitating only for a moment, he nodded.

         Tommy curled his fingers around the handle. He pulled it up, then down, but it didn’t yield.

         Jason sagged his shoulders, and kicked at the door. “Damn it! We’re locked out!”

         Tommy shook his head and shrugged.  Releasing the handle, he turned slowly to Jason.  “Doesn’t really matter, though.”

         “Why not?”

         “Because the monster isn’t on the other side of the door.” From his jacket, he pulled out a long, serrated knife.  “He’s right here.”  Even in the semi-darkness, the blade gleamed.  “And you’re gonna be the ghost.”



© Copyright 2012 elizjohn (elizjohn2000 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1900590-The-Monster-and-The-Ghost