*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901083-Beauty-and-the-Beast-A-Morbid-Tale
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1901083
What really happened, was not at all like the dazzling fairytale you were told.
My body trembled from the cold, my chattering teeth being the only other noise in the cell, other than my whimpers of discomfort. The horrid stench of rotting corpses and rodent feces made my eyes water and my nose burn. The cold, rusty metal of the shackles around each of my ankles cut into my skin, new cuts overlapping old ones.





I pressed my knees tighter to my chest, wanting to forget this dreadful place while my dirty fingernails dug into the flesh below my knee caps. If I had to use one word of description, hell would be it. I was in hell. My hair was matted to the sides of my face with the mixture of tears, sweat, and blood. Just at the thought, more silent drops poured from my burning eyes which so wanted rest but were too frightened to sleep.





My mind was nearly empty; my brain had given up trying to figure out when I had gotten here or how. Rather, it took me to dark corners of my memories, realistic nightmares and replays of the days (months, hours, years) I had spent here. Who had done this to me… there was no way of explaining without feeling completely insane.





My lips, once a bright and beautiful shade of pink, were no more. They were split, cracked, chapped, and solid. The moisture had been sucked dry. Not once since I had been imprisoned here, had I ever uttered a single word, and I did not plan to.





Distant footsteps made my ears perk and my heart beat speed up. My dull, blue eyes, hidden by my hair, grew larger in fearful anticipation. Just the thought of what was coming made my breathing come out as desperate gasps. I could feel my heart wrench painfully, as if it were being pulled out of my throat.





‘Please let me disappear,’ I thought, ‘Please, Please, Please!’





Blazing light shone into the darkness of my cell, making me cringe back from the foreign illumination. Something I hadn’t seen since I had arrived here… a large creature, one that I loathed as much as I feared, stepped in, closing and locking the door behind him, and once again I was consumed by darkness.





As his form neared, my quiet tears turned into broken wails. My back stung as I pressed it to the rough brick wall, most likely reopening whatever partially healed gashes I had. A choked cry fell past my lips and echoed throughout the room.





The large monster crouched to my level, his eyes shredding holes through mine. Through my terror I could feel his sorrow. His hand, approximately the size of my head, reached out for me and whipped a rolling tear form my cheek, his claw slicing through fragile skin. The blood slid down my dirty face and mixed with my salty tears. I found myself choking on air once again.





His sorrow decimated into rage and his claws closed around my throat. His deep growly voice traveled to my ears as they spoke and echoed through my mind, “Belle, Why won’t you love me?”



© Copyright 2012 DoubleTay (taylorzilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901083-Beauty-and-the-Beast-A-Morbid-Tale