*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901385-They-All-Came-Home
by Amay
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1901385
What would you do if they all came home?
“Now folks, I’ve called you together…” Mother Goose paused as the din continued to escalate.

Stomp, stomp, “Children, if you’d please.”

“Humpf! Priscilla please forgive me.” She grabbed the old goose, shoved her under her arm like a bagpipe and proceeded to briskly squeeze.

“Uh- ooo- ga! Uh-ooo-ga!”

Startled by Priscilla wails, everyone sat down and turned their attention to Mother Goose standing at the dais.

“Now, children you’ve come from near and far, at my beck and call. I do appreciate that. Your mother will be so surprised when all of Mother Goose Land shows up for her birthday party tomorrow. Does everyone know what to do?”

The mass of children, spouses, grandchildren nodded in unison. It was the first time in ages that they had all been home at the same time. It was going to be a grand family reunion to celebrate their mother’s birthday.



The next day, Mother Goose dropped in to visit Caroline. “Happy birthday, my dear.”

“Oh, my Bertrada, I really wanted to avoid that whole birthday nonsense. I never did see any point to reminding oneself that you’re getting older. After all, each day we’re either older or dead. As long as I’m not the latter, I’m happy.”

Bertrada, put her arm around her dear friend’s shoulder, “Well, I’ve fixed us a nice tea down by the lake, please say you’ll join me for a little treat anyway.”

“I should finish the dusting, and washing. There’s always so much to do in this big old shoe.”

“I’m not going to take no for an answer. I left Priscilla with the tea and cakes. If you don’t come, she’ll just get fatter.” Bertrada laughed as she shuffled Caroline right out of the door.



Old Mother Goose, and the Little Old Woman left the shoe and walked through Mother Goose Land. Neighbors waved and wished them good day, then silently stole away to the lake for the big surprise party.

All of Caroline’s children hid quietly on the other side of the hill, waiting for the signal from Mother Goose. Priscilla waddled up to Caroline and Bertrada, “Honk, honk.”

“Oh, isn’t that nice, Caroline. Priscilla is wishing you a Happy Birthday!" she yelled.

Over the hill, Jack and Jill bounded in the lead. Naturally, Jack fell down, ever the klutz, and Jill tumbled after. Thankfully her years of gymnastics training made her look graceful anyway. The rest of the children: Tom-tom the piper’s son, Mary quite contrary still wearing her farmer’s gear, Bo Peep and her silly sheep followed behind.

The procession kept coming and coming.Caroline’s eyes got bigger and bigger as she realized that they all came home. She was going to have to put them all up. She was going to have to feed them all. The stress and strain hit her like a ton of bricks. She grabbed her chest, and sagged to the ground.



The Grim Reaper tapped Caroline’s shoulder. She looked up at him. “They all came home!”


Coloring the World Prompt
“They all came home.”
Word Count- 498 out of 500 word limit.
Reference notes as to the names chosen for this piece:
The name Mother Goose has been traced back to Bertrada- the mother of Charlemagne- Queen Goosefoot- patron of children.
The little old woman in the shoe is perhaps referring Queen Caroline, wife of George II, referring not to her own children but Parliament
© Copyright 2012 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1901385-They-All-Came-Home