*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1902521-elements-and-atoms
Rated: E · Other · Environment · #1902521
Elements and atoms is facts about a few elements and atoms. It is bout 1000 words. pleas.
         A element is a substance that cannot be chemically broken down into simpler substances. Elements are all around us, even air is a element. There are 92 elements that can be found in nature, but there are 118 elements in all. All elements have densities. The element that is the least dense is air. Air is probably the most common element on planet earth, but air is not common on other planets. For instance air is not common on Mars,or Saturn. The one of the other most common elements on Earth that covers 2/3 of the Earth is water. Water has a density of 1.00. The neat thing about water is its not hard to find, but it is essential to life of any living organism. Even though most elements are in our daily lives there are a few that are very deadly because they are ether poison or give of deadly radiation.
         Mercury is deadly if it gets in your system or blood stream. Another one of the deadly elements is plutonium. Plutonium showed how deadly it could be in a bomb, so lethal that it could kill or give third degree burns for over a two mile radius. But Plutonium does not have to be in a shell to harm anything. Because it gives off deadly radiation called gamma rays. Plutonium is not the only radioactive elements. There are multiple radioactive elements, some that are so radioactive that scientist to this day have not been able to get enough information to even find the basic elements. Before I close the topic of radioactive elements I want to state radioactive decay works. Radioactive decay is the process were the atomic atom of an unstable radio active element loses energy to ionizing particles thus forth causing radioactive decay. Radio active decay can take years or seconds depending on which radioactive element your talking about. Some radioactive elements have even been reported to have killed people with gamma rays. Thats why you don't want to get anywhere near radioactive elements.
         Elements are all around us. You can't even walk outside without seeing or using a element. Metal is a element you probably see all the time though. Cars, buses, bed frames, and even the flush lever on your toilet is metal. If you think that you could by gold or silver and not by a metal your sadly mistaken. Gold is a one of the most rare and expensive metals. Metals are very good conductors of electricity and heat. If you see metal thats been out in the sun you don't touch it because chances are it is conducting heat. Metal is also able to be heated and then hammered into different shapes, also known in the science world as able to be malleable. Have you ever wondered what the wires on the electricity pole is made of. Well thous wires are made up of metal that has been cut into thin wires. Metal makes thous wires because it is ductile. Has anyone ever uses a metal to shine light in your eyes? They have the ability to do that with metal because metal has luster, which means it is able to reflect lights. Did you know that metal is the basic element in gold, silver, and platinum even though they are all totally different elements.
         The one of the most rarest elements on Earth is platinum. Platinum has a density of 12.19 which is also the specific gravity. Pt is Platinums symbol. Platinum has a abundance of approximately 5 micrograms per kilograms. Plutonium is also a chemical element. Plutoniums name originates from the Spanish language. Plutonium is not very reactive, it is actually the least reactive metal. Plutonium is A metal so it reflects light, conduct heat and electricity, and is able to be bent into different shapes. But all of this takes longer to happen than another metal like iron. The reason for this is what I said earlier it is the least reactive metal. Plutonium is used for many interesting things. One of those interesting things is, it is used in atomic bombes. As a mater of fact plutonium was used in Fat Man which was dropped in 1945 and had killed over 50,000 Japanese civilians. There was a specific type of plutonium they used in the atomic bomb, and that type of plutonium was called plutonium 239. Plutonium 239 has a half life of 24,100 years. While most other plutonium products have a shorter life, but there is one plutonium that has a longer life than any other metal. Plutonium 244 has a half life of about 80 million years. Plutonium 244 is the heaviest primordial element by virtue of most stable isotopes. Plutonium was first synthesized in 1940 by a team of four. They were working on the Manhattan project.
         Boron is a chemical element. It has a atomic number of 5. Boron is produced entirely by cosmic ray spallation. Since boron is not produced by spallation nucleosynthesis it has a low abundance in the solar system. But this does not mean it is a super rare element. What I am trying to say is boron is not a very common element on planet Earth. Boron is actually concentrated on no other planet than Earth. Since boron is a chemical element which means that it is very dangerous to handle boron, and also it is radioactive.
         The atom is a very small thing. It takes 1 million atoms to make one string of hair. Atoms make up everything except for air. The dest your sitting in is even made up of atoms. The atom has electrons circling around it. Every step you take, every thing you eat, every time you sit down, you are ether consuming, siting, stepping, or lying down on atoms. If it takes 1million atoms to make up a single strand of hair, how many will it take to make just one pebble, or just 1 pyramid? There is no escaping atoms or elements they out number us, they make us, they harm us, they help us. So if you ever think that you can even take a step on the ground without touching an element or an atom think again.
© Copyright 2012 Jonathon (jonathon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1902521-elements-and-atoms