*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1902986-Entry-for-HONORING-OUR-VETERANS-contest
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1902986
My story for the November Veterans contest.
Jason Kane sat in a wheelchair, watching as people passed by his room. He was 91 years old, and a World War 2 veteran. He had been only 18 years old when he had joined the army, and fought in several battles until 1944, when his left leg was blown off.
Suddenly, the old man gripped the side of his wheelchair, eyes bulging and staring at the wall as he relived the battle in which he was put out of service. When the old man finally returned to the present, he broke down crying, but only for a moment. He took a deep breath, and picked up a book by George R.R. Martin. He only made it as far as the third chapter before a knock came at the door.

"Jason? I have a visitor for you." a young, pretty woman announced, her white nurse's outfit immaculate, and her nails carefully painted blue.
Jason merely gave his head a nod. He assumed it was a group of schoolchildren, or someone from the government, as it was Veteran's Day. What he saw surprised him.
A young man was wheeled into Jason's room, dressed in army clothes. A nearly identical man stood behind him. The man's legs were missing, and he had a thin scar on his cheek, as if a bullet had grazed it.
"My name is Josh. Josh Hope." the man in the wheelchair. He gestured to the other man. "This is my twin, Jim."
"Hello." Jason replied, his voice rough and creaky from age and disuse.
"I hope we aren't intruding on your day." Josh asked nervously. "I just really wanted to see you."
"Why?"
Josh looked up at Jim, then back at Jason. "Several reasons."
"Do tell."
Josh took a deep breath before continuing. "Well, you are my great-grandfather. I'm the son of your son's daughter, Kylee. I've always wanted to meet you, but Kylee refused to take me. After Jim and I got enlisted into the Special Forces, and we found out who you were...."
"We knew we had to meet you. Especially when Josh got injured in combat." Jim continued.
"You are a hero, Jason." Josh said, his voice tight with emotion. "I am honored to be related to you."
Jason sat for a moment, overwhelmed with information and emotion until he managed to croak out a feeble, "Thank you."

For the next hour, the three opened up to each other telling war stories, family stories, and funny stories. They wept, laughed, smiled, and made plans to meet again. Finally, it was time for Jim and Josh Hope to leave.
"I will try to take you to Washington D.C to see the memorial." Josh promised, gripping Jason's frail hand. Smiles lit their faces as the departed.

Jason Kane did get to go to Washington D.C., 3 months after Josh made his promise. A wounded veterans group paid for Josh to visit the war memorials and speak out to other recently wounded soldiers, and for Jason to see the World War 2 memorial, and Jim to help the two move around.

The three met every Tuesday, except when Jim was overseas. Then, only Josh and Jason met, and sometimes skyped with Jim. On Veteran's Day 5 years after they met, Jason died in his sleep, at 96 years old.
© Copyright 2012 Emma McCarry (aleiaworld12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1902986-Entry-for-HONORING-OUR-VETERANS-contest