*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903198-Mr-C
by jls
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #1903198
Clef has a secret he dosen't want anyone to know about, maybe its for the best.




MR. C










         The light crept through the window; he saw it coming but did not want to acknowledge it. Morning could not be here already. He had just made it to bed, only several minutes ago. Damn he thought time to get up they would be here soon. Clef did not like these types of mornings not because of the lack of sleep but more because he disliked jumping into character, constructing a facade of smoke and mirrors that his neighbors had grown to love and in fact admire. In the late hours of the moonlit nights Clef had found a new hobby; one that he was determined to keep to himself. The door- bell rang as the mud and dried blood had just finished swirling down the drain. Clef raced into the room One Second he shouted, rushing to put on his pants and button up his shirt. One last quick glance in the mirror to ensure he had not left any incriminating evidence on him or in his hair and down the stairs he flew.

         Chris, Michelle, and Bobby Newbower all stood in front of the door eagerly waiting for an answer.



“Jeeezzz Mr. C what took you so long the three shouted?”



“Sorry kids I must have over slept.”



“Now Mr. C you know we have to be at school at exactly seven A.M.” Michelle said with her hands on her hips and frowned eyebrows that suggested this had better not occur again or there could be consequences.



“Sorry kids let’s hit it.”



Clef enjoyed the ride to the school the roads were smooth. The weather was unusually nice for the time of year, it was early spring, and in Maine next to the ocean, it was very seldom to have early mornings bring such warmth and clear skies.



“So Mr. C did you hear? There was another murder last night!”



“There Was!” Clef responded with shock and awe in his voice.



“Yea Bobby agreed must have happen two days ago. This time it was a woman they found her body in the forest near a highway pit stop.”



“Well how do they know it was the same guy?”

Chris shouted ooh they said her face was missing just like the last one.



“You guys are going to have nightmares you shouldn’t be listening to that stuff.”



“Mr. C do you think the face killer will come after us?”

“What! No it will never happen I can promise you that.”



“How can you be so sure?”



“I just know plus he doesn’t go after kids. Anyway I would not let him get anywhere near you kids ok. Now out the truck. I’ll see you guys at lunch.”



“Ok they agreed bye Mr. C”

         

         They had arrived at the school. With his window down driving slowly past the teachers outside, he could hear them gossiping; about the latest kill no doubt. They waived to him good morning Clef, Morning he responded. Pulling around back of the school he parked his truck, put on his navy blue jacket, embroidered on the left side was his name Clef on  the right side it read maintenance. Time to start the day he sighed. Clef enjoyed his job but on these types of days, he would need to make himself appear to be extremely busy. Therefore minor issues he might be called for, he could ignore on the premise that he had too much to do and just maybe in the basement of the school, in his little back office he could get just a couple hours of some much-needed sleep.



“Mr. C where were you, we didn’t see you at lunch?”



“Sorry kids I was extremely busy today, didn’t have much time for anything.”



“Not even lunch Mr. C wow you must be tired.”

         

         Actually, I feel refreshed Clef said as he buckled his seatbelt and began the short ride home. Feeling good and energized, all he could think about was his next target. The thrill, the rush of adrenaline, the cold air tickling his nostrils; his heartbeat beating slowly at first then gradually getting faster the only sound he could hear as he waited until he saw his perfect kill. The thoughts of his nightlife had become the only comfort to get him through his monotonous days as Clef and Mr. C. At night, he was prey and more and more he was enjoying the hunt. With a freshly sharpened blade, he would adventure out yet again.

         

         At least it’s Saturday and there is no school, bobby said to Michelle as he pleaded his case for why it was the best day of the week. You are a moron! She responded.



“Everyone knows that school is for smart people and since you don’t like it; that means you’re dumb.”

Chris erupted with laughter causing Bobby to get flustered.



“I am not dumb Mrs. Hanover said I might grow up to be president!”



“Well she’s obviously wrong!”



“She is not!”

“Yes she is!”



“MOOOOOMMM”



‘Hey what’s going on in here?” Mrs. Newbower asked in a commanding tone that took the smile right off Chris’s face. All at once, the kids started talking trying to prove their point that it was the other siblings fault and they themselves were innocent.



“OK she objected that’s enough it’s almost dinner time why don’t you get ready, Michelle you go take your shower.



“Oh man why do I have to go first?”



You tend not to make a mess and you need your beauty sleep honey, as all princesses do.

More like a toad, Bobby grumbled.

Bobby you and Chris go next door and see if Mr. C would like to join us.



Yayyyy! They shouted as they ran down stairs to put their coats on and headed out the door.

The night air was cold; the stars lit the sky in numbers too vast to count but just a simple picture was more beautiful than any mathematical equation could ever be at least to Bobby. They did not like going out at night but Mr. C’s house was just next door and he always brought over snacks: popcorn, ice cream, beef jerky, or some other treat the children could indulge in. Running as fast as their little legs could move, bursting through the front gate and up the small front porch, they rang the doorbell three times awaiting Mr. C to come to the door. The house was pitch black, no lights from any lamps shown through the windows.



Awe man he’s not home Bobby said, they rang the bell some more. Still there was no response. Well why don’t we check in the back, maybe he is in the basement working on his secret like last time Chris added.



“SHHHHHH! Quiet, there is no talking about that remember? Somebody could hear us! Mr. C said never to talk about it unless it was to him remember. He is going to tell people, but not until the time is, right or they catch him. So just be quiet and he’ll keep bringing us snacks ok?” 



Speeding off around to the back of the house, they noticed through the little square windows that the lights imbued the basement with a bluish aura. Through the spider web and mildew incased glass they could see the shadow of Mr. C with moving around his basement. Off to the side they noticed some knifes hanging as well as a hatchet and some other tools that they did not recognize.



“Hey Bobby maybe we don’t need Mr. C to come over.”



“Awww don’t be such a baby Mr. C says everybody wants to try it at least once in their life, and when you do that is when you know you’re becoming a man.”



“Yea but it doesn’t seem right. How would you feel if that was mom?”



“Mr. C would never do that to us you idiot that’s why he always brings us treats because he likes us now hurry up lets go home. They got off their knees slowly and headed back to their house.



There you two are what took you so long. I was about to send out a search party Mrs. Newbower said. Well we were ringing the doorbell but he was not home, Chris let a deep sigh, as they finished his story. The phone began ringing in the other room.



“Quick turn on the TV to channel thirteen hurry up they found another one.”



“Well Hello to you too, how was your day?” Mrs. Newbower clicked on the television.



         Were yet another body has been found just early this morning, the mayor insist anyone going out alone to please use caution. The chief of police issued the following statement; saying when traveling alone especially late at night please consider carrying: Flashlights, pepper spray, a whistle, or even staying on the phone until you reach your destination. Again, another victim of who the media is calling “The Surgeon” body turned up early this morning. This is Trish Straits reporting live with Conex news your one and only news source connecting you acr—.



The T.V went black Chris was holding the remote.



“Mommy can I sleep in your room with you tonight, I’m scared.”



The flowers smelled of honey, it was a beautiful spring day, the warm breeze gently blew the hanging sheets up and down, the sky was extraordinarily blue, and full of life as birds flew overhead singing songs of praise. She was amazing, everything he had been looking for. Her skin was soft; he could stare in her teary eyes for hours. He knew it would not last, anytime he felt this good it would never last, but still in life, he had learned to enjoy the good times. He knew they would not be plentiful. Her still body lying their; it gave him goose bumps. I love you he whispered as she closed her eyes.

         When he awoke from his dream Clef’s bed was soaked sweat poured from his forehead. Breathing heavily he turned to look over at the nightstand. The clock read 2:45 A.M.

Looks like another long morning he said to himself. Well now, as good as time as any might as well get to work. Reaching in his closet he grabbed a pair of overhauls a facemask and two pair of latex gloves.

         The knife slid in easy, it was not a big blade but small enough to handle with precision, and sharp enough to offer very little resistance when removing the skin. He had to be careful. The less mess the better he hated discarding the carcasses. It was always a hassle. Trying to be as discreet as possible making sure that none of the neighbor’s and their damn neighborhood watch would catch him loading onto his truck. Everyone is so nosy especially in an A-plus community such as this one. He finished, taking his bloody gloves off and throwing the in the trash he flipped off the light switch and headed up to bed. The morning would be here in just a couple hours, the clock read 5:45.



         “MOM they still didn’t catch him.”



“Catch who?”



“The Surgeon the guy that cuts your face off and the T.V says people should stay inside tonight.”



“I told you I don’t want you watching that mess.”



“But Mom”



“Look if you’re that scared why not see if Mr. C will come over and join us for dinner.”



“NO” Chris shouted startling his mother; well I think we should take a vote she responded. Everyone except Chris enthusiastically stretched for the ceiling. Michelle almost fell over due to the excitement.

I will go get him she yelled throwing on her coat and heading out the front door before her mom had a chance to tell what time. 



         “Hey Michelle its Sunday there’s no school today what’s up?”



“Mom wanted to know if you would come over for dinner tonight.”



“Well it is Sunday what’s she making?”



“I think oven spaghetti?”



“Oh the famous oven spaghetti lasagna huh, I love that stuff?”



“Yup that’s it lasagna.”



“Okay I’ll call it an early night tell her I will bring a bottle of wine and I’ll be over around six.”



“Wine blah okay I’ll I set your plate bye Mr. C.”



“Bye”



The doorbell made a musical chime the rhythm echoing highs and lows of a symphony clef would never recognize nor did he care to. Music in general reminded him of a time that he could never get back, so he seldom listened to it.



“Hey neighbor come in Mrs. Newbower insisted.”



“Thank you wow it smells great in here you sure you’re not a chef.”



Smiling she said please clef your always to kind and I don’t like blushing in front of the kids. Dinners ready put your coat in the closet, and come seat down the kids are already at the table.



“Hi guys thanks for having me over?



“Yayyy hi Mr. C did you bring snacks?”



“You know come to mention it I did but I forgot it next door.”

The kids looked genuinely disappointed as they all volunteered to go and get it.



“No it’s in the basement and you guys don’t want to go down there.”



Chris moved closer to his mom.

Ok who’s saying grace not me not me not me all synchronized almost if they had rehearsed that part before sitting at the table. Well I guess that leaves just me then. Mrs. Newbower said.



“Dear lord we thank you for giving us this opportunity to sit down with friends and family, we ask that you bless this food we are about to consume and we ask that watch over us and help those of us going through difficult times like our friend Clef here. In the Lords name we pray Amen.” They all followed “Amen!”



Yea Bobby shouted, “I’m going to consume,” he said with a big smile. They all laughed.



“Delicious Mrs. Newbower,” Thank you I got the recipe from my girlfriend Janet she said if I did it right it should taste like I put my big toe in it. There was a moment of silence all paused ill nasty the kids erupted.



“MOM!” Michelle cried.



“So how have you been sleeping these last couple nights?”

Clef paused as the kids eyes locked on him.



“You know what I’m going to go next door and grab that bottle of wine.”



“Clef I’m sorry.”



“No it’s fine I’ll be right back.”



He stood up, put on his jacket, and headed out the door.

“Mom is he ok Michelle asked?” Yes, she responded he is fine I am going to go help him with his wine.

“No” Chris insisted you Can’t, Stay here please mom he pleaded.



“I’ll be right back Chris goodness what’s gotten into you.



The porch light was out but the front door was open. Clef she yelled out, there was no answer. Walking into the dark living room the only light she saw emitted a yellowish glow coming from the kitchen. Clef she asked again, still there was no response. Slowly walking close to the light she saw that the side door was open which lead to the basement. Peering down into the blackness she could see nothing but the smell that emitted from the open door almost made her gag. Clef once more she asked this time her voice cracking as she said it. The front door slammed shut making her jump she backed into the kitchen as she heard movement from the basement. The steps started creaking in different sensations begging, pleading spare me from any additional pressure. Holding on to the kitchen sink she waited nervously staring at the opening wondering what might emerge from the darkness. Falling out of the stairway Clef shouted Dammit the sudden crash cause her to gasp in a loud breath. Surprised Clef turned and said.

“Donna? What are you doing here? He said.



“I just wanted to apologize for prying.”



“No it’s fine I was on my back over just had to run into the basement and grab something quick.”



“Clef what the hell is that smell coming from down there and why is it so dark?”

Laughing he said,



“Well the light blew out at the top of the stairs I have to run into town to buy bulbs, as for the smell well I’m afraid you caught me. If you let me I would love to show you.”



Nervous she said what is down there. Come on I will show you. She swallowed hard and grabbed his hand as he guided her down the stairs. The darkness consumed her deeper she climbed into the basement. The almost grew into unbearable levels, this way he said. Finally, he clicked on a light. In front of her was a big steel table with all types  of cutlery hanging above it against the wall was a very long L shaped tables  that had several dehydrators all plugged in running at  full blast. It was actually quite an impressive sight. Each one had pieces of meat in them and each had a different label of what flavor was inside.



“So this is what I’ve been up to. It is not hunting season yet and I know it is illegal but I had this great idea for new flavors for dried meat. Since I can’t sleep at night anyway I figured why not you know?”



“I see she said.”

“The only down fall is I couldn’t find any shop open to clean and skin the animals being that it’s not hunting season yet and well; hence the smell. Since she left and took the business with her, I’ve been stressing with no outlet other then you and your kids. So in a lot of ways this has helped me.”



“Wait, wait, wait so you mean all the jerky you been brining over…”



“Yea sorry for using you all as guinea pigs but you did like right?”



Laughing she said come on the kids are probably worried.



“MOM, MOM they got him.”



“Got who?”



“The Surgeon!”



This is Trish Straits reporting live. This just in the Face killer a.k.a. “The Surgeon” has been shot and killed during a police raid on his southern Louisiana farmhouse. The police learned of the property from the D.N.A obtained from the last victim. There were fibers of hay under her fingernails that is a special blend apparently only used in southern states

In addition, none more than this particular farm house, this is breaking news reporting live Trish Straits with Conex news your one and only news connecting you across the nation.



“See told you they catch him Clef said.”



“Mom do you think the Surgeon will go were daddy went.”



“Yea honey I Think he will.”

© Copyright 2012 jls (leosaurous at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903198-Mr-C