*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903285-Ask-Me-No-Questions-and-Ill-Tell-You-No
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1903285
A dramatic love story between two high school juniors.
Hi my name is Rosie Diamond. I am the daughter of Drake Diamond of DD Real Estate. Have you heard of him? If you live in California, you probably have. He is the most well known real estate agent in all of California. He has sold ocean front homes in Malibu, lavish condos in L. A., and beautiful mansions in Beverly Hills to some of the most well known people out there. Sounds like quite the life, right? It is a wonderful life, but not for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love my dad.  I just don’t love the spotlight. My dad has done everything he can to allow us to live luxuriously. We have a beautiful ocean front home in Malibu, which allows me to go surfing daily. We also get to go to major events, which puts my face in the news quite often. I really love not having a spending limit for clothes, and getting my hair and makeup done. I won’t deny that, but I have always wished for a low key life outside of the spotlight.

         My father’s best friend has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. He needs to focus on getting well, so he has asked my father to come run his business. My father doesn’t even hesitate. He explains the situation and informs us we will be moving to Blairsville, Georgia. My brother and I are very understanding and are fine with moving. Actually, I’m thrilled because no one will know of us in Georgia and I don’t plan to tell them. I want people there to think of me as a regular person. Finally I won’t find myself in the spotlight. We move at the very beginning of the summer. I decide to help my dad’s friend by helping his wife with her youth sports camps this summer.

         My new life begins the first morning of camp! After listening to the head counselor describe what camp is all about and how I can help, I finally get to meet the other coaches. As soon as we start walking towards everyone else someone catches my eye. He has straight chocolate brown hair and is super muscular. His skin is somewhere in between tan and pale. He looks to be a little taller and maybe a little older than me. Then he turns around and he smiles at me with full lips and blinding white teeth. I look up and I am caught staring into the bluest eyes I have ever seen. He’s absolutely adorable. I can’t help thinking. He probably has some really pretty and sweet girlfriend.

         Next thing I know he is walking towards me. I am suddenly very nervous and self conscious, which is a new feeling for me.

         “Hi, my name is Trenton,” he says.

         “Oh, hi. I’m Rosie,” I reply. Wow that sounded stupid.

         “So are you new to Blairsville?” he asks.  “I’ve never seen you around and this is a pretty small town.”

         “Yeah, me and my family just moved here a few weeks ago,” I say hoping that he won’t ask where we moved from.

         Wow he’s pretty cute and nice, I think, as the director calls us over to have a quick group meeting. He tells us that we will be working with different age groups throughout the summer and that we will be working with different coaches as well. He tells me I am going to be working with no other than the dreamy Trenton with the middle age group for the first week. I am so excited. This is the perfect start to the perfect summer and school year for the new me!

         After the director finishes talking, everyone goes to work setting up the camp. Trenton asks me to help him fill up the water jugs, but grabs them all so I won’t have to carry them. What a gentleman. While we head towards the fountain to fill up the jugs, I try to come up with something to say to him. I don’t want him to think I’m some dopy, shy girl. I want him to think of me as someone he likes talking to.

         We both start talking at the same time. It is kind of funny, but it also is nice because it means he also wants to talk to me. I try to start a conversation again and this time he doesn’t talk at the same time.

         “So what sports do you play?”

         “Baseball and football, I love them both. Football is probably my main sport though. I practice year round for it. You know, lifting and getting in shape,” he answers.

         “Oh, that’s cool. I’m a pretty big fan of football myself. My brother plays,” I say.

         “Yeah, it’s a pretty fun sport. I’ve played since I was little. Are you in any sports?”

         “I play softball and volleyball. I really enjoy swimming too, but I don’t do it competitively,” I respond.

         “Cool, I swim a lot too. The local pool is pretty nice. Have you been there yet?” he asks.

         “Not yet I haven’t.  I will have to check it out soon,” I say hoping that he can’t tell that I’m lying through my teeth. My new house has a beautiful in ground pool that I have already fallen in love with.

         “Maybe we can go sometime,” he says.

         “That would be awesome since I don’t even know where the pool is,” I say, somewhat embarrassed.

         At this point, we have filled the jugs and are heading back towards the camp where some kids have already arrived. When we get back, we have to have another meeting so that we know exactly what we were doing with our age group. After that, we go to greet the kids that are now steadily arriving. 

         The day goes fast, and so does the rest of the summer. It is one of the best summers I have ever had even though I haven’t gotten to go surfing even once. My dad’s best friend has been admitted into the hospital. I keep praying that he will recover. I feel really bad that I am having such an amazing anonymous summer while he battles cancer in the hospital. It doesn’t seem fair. I spend a lot of time visiting Greg in the hospital. When I’m not at the hospital, I have a blast mentoring the kids I work with and getting to know the other coaches. I become pretty close to Trenton as well and I learn that we will be in the same grade this fall. We spend a lot of time together over the summer and start to officially date in August.  He is just absolutely amazing. He is like no one that I have ever met before and I have met a lot of people.

         I am super nervous for my first day of school because the only person I know in my grade is Trenton, and he has been so busy with football I haven’t gotten to talk to him in two weeks. I understand that he has to practice, but it makes me nervous that he we won’t see each other much once school starts either. I wake up early on my first day and straighten my usually wavy hair, and put on my favorite outfit. My brother, Drew, offers to give me a ride to school early so that we can get our schedules and find our classes. Once we get our schedules, we walk in separate directions trying to find our first classes of the day. While I walk, I try to find Trenton, but I still haven’t seen him by the time I reach my first class.

         The first week goes by really fast. It is already Friday. I have made a few friends, and they insist I go to the big football game tonight. Thinking about football makes me think about Trenton, who I haven’t seen all week. I wonder if has been avoiding me on purpose. I think about not going because the idea of Trenton avoiding me hurts more than it probably should, but I know Drew will kill me if I miss his first game at our new school. I decide to go, but only because I don’t want to disappoint Drew or my new friends. When I get home, I quickly change into an old pair of jean shorts, a cute t-shirt, tennis shoes, and grab my brother’s old hoodie, then head to the game.

         The boys play really hard and destroy the other team by a lot. I actually kind of enjoy the game, but it is extremely hard not to think of Trenton because he is always making plays. I try to make my way towards the exit because I want to catch my brother in time to ask him for a ride home. As I am walking, someone runs into me, and I fall to the ground. I look up expecting anyone except the person I see; it is none other than Trenton. The hit I take from Trenton hurts a lot considering the amount of padding he has on, and the little amount my clothes do to soften the blow. He offers me a hand up and apologizes for basically tackling me. I don’t want to let him know that it hurts though because he already looks like he feels pretty bad.

         “Hey, I am so sorry Rosie,” he says very caringly.

         “Did you think you were still out on the field or something,” I say joking. I don’t like seeing him looking upset.

         He laughs, and then his face becomes serious. “Have you been avoiding me in school or something? I haven’t seen you once,” he says.

         I can’t believe he thinks I was avoiding him. “Of course I’m not avoiding you. I was about to ask you the same question,” I respond with a smile.

         “No, I wouldn’t avoid you. We must have really different schedules,” he says as he slowly starts walking. “You should come with us to eat. The team is celebrating our win and I’d love for you to come along. I’ll drop you off at your house afterward,” he offers somewhat pleadingly.

         I really want to go, but I can’t let Trenton see my house or he will know I’m not like everyone else. I decide I will go only if Drew is going. “Do you know if Drew is going? He can just take me afterward. We are planning to go visit my dad’s best friend in the hospital tonight,” I lie. We haven’t really made any plans to visit Greg tonight, but I don’t want Trenton to think I have something against him taking me home.

         “He might be. Come with me and we’ll figure it out,” he says.

         We start to walk up the hill together making small talk. As we talk about the game, I realize just how much I have missed him for the last three weeks. Trent tells me to wait outside the locker room while he quickly showers and talks to Drew. While he’s in the locker room, I get a call from my dad informing me Greg has just been released from the hospital. He is still fighting for his life, but he is doing much better than he was. Just as I say goodbye to my dad, Trenton comes out and tells me Drew is indeed going. We walk together over to Trenton’s car.

         We arrive at the local diner where half of the team has already arrived. We take our seats and Trenton introduces me as his girlfriend to the rest of the team. All of the guys and their girls are really nice to me. The whole night is just plain fun. I sincerely enjoy every minute of being with them. This is what normal teenagers do, right? I think as I cuddle up to Trent. I listen to Colton and Trenton replay the game. Colton is Trenton’s best friend and is the quarterback of the football team. His girlfriend, Ashley, is one of the girls that convinced me to go to the game. As the boys analyze the game some more, Ashley and I get to know each other. She’s really nice and I think I can see a friendship forming between us. Sadly, half of the stuff I tell her about me is completely made up. I can’t tell her what my childhood was really like without giving away who my father really is. I still have a lot of fun talking to her, though I feel kind of bad for having to lie. Too quickly the night is over.  These are many of the same tales I have shared with Trenton already.

         Even though I still don’t have any classes with Trenton, we find ways to see each other in school. He walks me to all of my classes even if it means he literally has to sprint across the building to his own class. He is just so amazing and sweet, I often catch myself thinking. We have been spending a lot of time out of school together as well. I have been spending a lot of time with Ashley too. When I’m with Trent, we usually hang out at his house, go skating, out to eat, or to a movie. When I’m with Ashley, we usually hang out at her house. Neither of them are allowed to come to my house. I tell them it’s because our house isn’t unpacked yet, but it’s really because I don’t want them to see what my house is like.  My house is absolutely huge, which is something most “middle-class people” probably can’t say. Plus I have a feeling middle-class people don’t usually have in ground swimming pools, volleyball courts, and batting cages all in their back yard. I really love having Trent as my boyfriend, but as I continue to get closer to him, more lies continue to slip out of my mouth. I have lied to him since the very beginning about who I am, and at this point I have to continue to lie just to keep him from knowing that I lied to him from the start. I have also formed a friendship full of lies with Ashley. I tell them lies about anything from my parent’s names to where I’m from just to keep my somewhat celebrity life a secret. I didn’t mean for my lies to get this out of control, but I have to keep up the façade.

         The school year is already three fourths of the way completed. In my business class, we are told to do a report on a very successful businessman.  Each student has to pick from a list of people that the teacher finds to be successful. I quickly check to make sure my father’s name is not on our list, and to my relief, Drake Diamond is not. I choose one of my dad’s old colleagues and start to write what I already know about him. 

         A few days after our business project has been assigned, Trenton walks up to me looking extremely mad. 

         “What is this?” he asks, barely hiding his rage as he hands me a picture.

         All it takes is a quick glance and I know exactly what the picture is. It’s me and my father at a major movie premiere from the previous year.

         “Where did you get that?” I ask in a little voice.

         “Well, I picked a man named Drake Diamond to do my business report on because he has the same last name as you. I was looking for a picture to include in my report, and I found this,” he says still barely hiding his anger.

         I just stare at the picture. In the back of my mind, I realize what it means now that Trent has seen the picture, but at the same time, my brain doesn’t want to fully comprehend it.

         “Well, is that you!?” he demands, basically shouting.

         “Yes it is me,” I respond, extremely quietly. I have a feeling he already knows that it is indeed me.

         “How could you not tell me that you are Drake Diamond’s daughter? Were you trying to make a fool of me?” he asks, all of the anger that he had been trying to suppress now clearly audible in his voice

         I don’t answer him because I have no idea how to even begin to explain myself. I hadn’t really meant to lie to him. I had only meant to keep who my family was a secret. I definitely didn’t intend to tell as many lies as I did.

         “You lied to me. Did you just make up all of that stuff about your childhood? All of that stuff you told me about your family, did you make up all of that too? Is your house really still in boxes, or did you just make that up so I wouldn’t come over and see how you really live? Is anything you told me true?” he asks, truly letting all of his pent up anger out.

         I still don’t say anything.

         “To think I thought you loved me,” he growls at me as he turns to walk away.

         “I do love you!”I yell after him, finally finding my voice.

         He turns around and looks at me. “You don’t lie and keep secrets from those you love,” he says in a monotone voice. He turns around and walks away from me without a second glance.

         I break down in tears only after I see him go out the door. I run to my car and wait until my vision is clear of all the tears before I head home. I can’t believe that just happened.

         I don’t see Trenton in school for the next couple of weeks. I am depressed all the time and I miss him terribly.  I don’t really blame him, but I would at least like to be able to answer all of the questions he asked on the day he found out who I really am. I know I hurt him by lying and keeping secrets from him, but that was never my intention. I really feel awful about it now. Ashley is also avoiding me now that she knows about my lies.

         One day after school, I find that Greg and my father are talking in my father’s study. I have no idea what they could be talking about. I do notice that Greg looks much better than the sickly man he had been for the last three months before I head into the kitchen to grab a snack. As I am grabbing an apple, my brother walks into the kitchen.

         “Any idea what they are talking about?” he asks.

         “Not even one,” I reply.

My brother grabs his own snack and then heads up to his room. I wash off my apple and head into the living room to watch my favorite show on TV. As I am watching the show and relaxing, my father comes into the room.

“We need to talk,” he says urgently, “where are your brother and your mother?”          

“Drew’s upstairs in his room. I haven’t seen mom. What’s this about?” I respond hesitantly.

“I’ll explain in a second when the whole family is together. Go get your brother and meet me in the dining room,” he says.

“Okay,” I respond as I get up and start walking towards the stairs. I relay exactly what dad had said to Drew as we walk back down the stairs and into the dining room. When we get there, my dad and mom are already sitting down talking quietly to each other. Both of them have smiles on their faces and look really happy. My dad tells me and Drew that Greg is officially in remission and is healthy enough to handle his own business again. My mom goes on to say we will be moving back to California in about two week’s time.

Trenton. My thoughts go immediately to Trenton. If I only have two short weeks left here, I may never be able to mend my relationship or at least friendship with him. The thought of not being able to explain everything to him gives me a headache. I think about leaving without saying a word, but he deserves an explanation as to why I kept the truth from him.  He should know that I was hiding who I was for me to feel normal not to intentionally hurt him.  I really don’t want to leave here without trying to heal the pain I inflicted on him. I was enjoying my anonymity so much that the lies just kept growing. Then one by one, my friends slipped away due to my lies. I am totally at fault. My entire existence here in Blairsville became one big facade. But I was so happy not being the real me.

The two weeks fly by. On moving day, I get up extra early. I put on my “airport” clothes which consist of comfy jean short, a cropped tank top, a sweatshirt, and tennis shoes. I grab my phone and my carryon bag and then head out the door. I drive over to Ashley’s house with a well written letter in hand. I had tried several times over the last two weeks to talk to her. She refused to talk or even listen to me. Yesterday, I decided to write her and Trenton both letters of apology. In her letter, I apologized for all of my lies and I explained why I wanted to escape my old life. I included just how much her friendship had meant to me in the letter. I want her to know that even though I lied, I truly had wanted to be her friend.  I didn’t think it would get so out of control. When I arrive at her house, I get out of my car and place the letter in her mailbox.

I go to Trenton’s house next. The letter I wrote him must have been ten pages long. Words just didn’t seem to be able to capture how sorry I was that I had lied and kept truths from him. On my way to his house, I think about all of the fun times we had together. I have been missing him a lot lately. I hope that with my letter, he will come to understand why I did what I did, and know that I really did love him. In fact, Trenton was my first love. I get to Trenton’s house, and place his letter in his mailbox. I purposely only write Trenton on the envelope so that he won’t know it’s from me until he opens it.

As I drive away from Trenton’s house, I think about Blairsville and all that I did here. I also think about Malibu and how a part of me has missed it so much. I think about Ashley and wonder if she will ever be able to forgive me. I hope she finds a way. I think about a lot of things as I drive, but Trenton is definitely the main thing I think about. I hope he will someday be able to forgive me and understand I didn’t mean to hurt him. I hope someday he will remember me with fondness and not hatred. Will I ever know the answers? I think to myself as a tear slides down my cheek.

© Copyright 2012 Rosie Diamond (r.collins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903285-Ask-Me-No-Questions-and-Ill-Tell-You-No