*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903289-Ambush-Book-1-of-the-Dark-Night-Series
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1903289
This is Book one of the Dark Knight series and it is very intense.


11/12/2025

“The Russians suspect nothing. I have been in the Kolyma mountain range for a few days now. Japan sent me to North America. The North Americans started to get suspicious so I volunteered for their secret government operation in Russia and now I am here. I work in the lower department of the base as an engineer. This is going to be one easy operation.”

         I hated that job. The workers were all slobs. I was sent to Russia under the suspicion that they were meddling in bioterrorism. The Russians joked with me for being an American, teasing me. It was all friendly until one day. The leader of them was Vladimir “Butcher” Bazhenov. He is about six foot seven and 275 pounds. He had dark hair and had a full beard. To put in contrast, I am about six foot three, 175 pounds. The odds were definitely on my side. The man had it out for me. He fought back in the day of the U.S.S.R and hated the Americans greatly. He was a problem. The work day was almost over at this dreary grey base. I was the one who would close up today after my maintenance duties with the machines. I would soon figure out what goes on in the “quarantine, special access” areas, but I was not alone. Vladimir was still here with me. I had to get the huge brute out of here. “Hey Vlad, I will do your duties also if you want,” I said.

         “I do not like you American, neither do my friends here,” he said. His “friends” were almost as big as him and they were not a welcoming party.

         “Listen guys, I do not want any trouble,” I said. I had one hand on my silenced hand gun.  They charged at me with large knives. I pulled my gun expecting them to stop, but this was not the best idea. They were also armed well. I picked off one in the knee, but his friends paid no attention. I needed to think fast. The “restricted area” door was a few feet away. If they chase me in there, we would be on equal terms. I took my chance and ran into the unknown place. The area was very humid and smelled like death. I was on a catwalk with card rails on the left side. The catwalk was a figure eight shape that ran the entire length of the ceiling. I continued to run until I thought I lost them. Thought being a key word, as they charged into the room I was hidden inside of.  I kicked the first one harder than I meant to as he fell down the right side of the catwalk onto the ground below. All I heard was some vulgar sounds and a smack onto the ground. I still had Vlad to go. I could not find him. Where is that guy? I was walking around the zero visibility catwalk looking, my gun in hand. I heard screaming, I looked down to see a man dragging something. It looked like the dead body of the guy I kicked over the edge of the catwalk. What do they want with a dead body? I intend to find out. Just then, Vlad kicks me over the edge of the catwalk. I catch the side of the catwalk, but in every movie I watch in this predicament, the hanging guy usually dies.

         “Those were good friends of mine, I was going to let you live American, but you know how it goes and eye for an eye, two friends for two deaths,” Vlad said.

         “You realize there is only one of me to get revenge for, right,” I said.

         “Yes, but I will shoot you twice, see compromise,” said Vlad.

           I still have one trick up my sleeve. The American’s gave me good gear, including flashbangs. I threw it into the eyes of Vlad. It exploded, blinding him, and he fell exactly as his friend. Finally, this was over. I have been in worst situations. There was a shadow of a character that was dragging the guy that I shot in the knee. He seemed to be wearing chemical gear and was a moderately tall individual. “Hey! You could you help me,” I screamed. My fingers were hurting from holding on so long, and my hands were starting to slip. The shadow moved quickly away. What is going on in here? I used all of my strength to get myself back up to the catwalk. I need to find out what is happening, but soon the guards would show up and check the area.



---The Next Day---

The backup generator is broken, so they sent me to repair it. It was early morning, around 7:45 and we were hard at work. The base was very active and of course tensions were high. Vladimir’s friends were wondering where he was at because they are always following him. They knew he stayed after to “talk” with me, so they of course were suspicious. After I “fixed the generator”, more along the lines of putting a little spy camera on it. Then Vladimir’s friends approached me and they asked a question to which I had no answer.

         “What happened to Vlad?” a huge six foot seven male about 300 pounds asked. I just stood there with no answer to the serious question. I cannot pull my gun on them in the middle of the base. They were getting impatient and started to get angry. Just then a high ranking officer approached and they all stopped and looked. I took this chance and ran to escort the soldier to the main part of the base.

         “May I ask what brings you to our base, sir?” I asked.

         “None of your business,” he replied. This caught me off guard.

         “I am sorry for asking, sir,” I replied.

          “Stop talking to me and carry my bags to the person who runs this dump,” He replied.

         “Ok, sir? I said.

         “Call me general Shubin,” He replied I gave him a nice pat on the back and I chipped him with an American made chip. I am going to feel real good if I get to bust him. Then I went back to my business. The rest of the day I avoided Vlad’s friends and it worked.

The next day was a weekend day and it was the day that we would strike the base. The base has one day a month in which the workers got off for “undisclosed reasons.” The chip I planted on the general got me the info that we needed to take them down, but what still does not make sense is the taking of Vladimir and his friends’ bodies. All that I know is that we are going to take them down. The general said in his meeting that the actual reason for the base was not to store supplies for the military like we though, it was for conducting experimental biochemical research that could be used against the United States. I did not care what happened to the United States I just wanted to get out 4:00 A.M. The other spies for the U.S. from other bases have arrived at the meeting point. We were armed and ready to attack.

         “Remember we strike fast and hard,” the commander of our operation said.

         “There are entrance points all on this side of the base,” He said as he pointed at the workers side of the building.”For an odd reason the entire side of this building has no entry points at all, A thermal scan of the base has proven that there are no people in the base except two,” What? They always have had at least a dozen armed guards on duty? This does not seem good. I said nothing.

         “Chris S. Kennedy has been working this base for a week or two so Chris, do you know anything that we should know?” said the operations supervisor

         Yes, Early this week I was assaulted by a man and we ran into the closed part of the building, the area was filled with steam and I could not see, but after they were killed, a man dragged their bodies away. I have no idea what they want with them, but whatever they are doing it cannot be good,” I replied.

         “Thank you Chris, now the LZ is at this location if you are not back here in thirty minutes than you will be left behind,” said the operations supervisor, directing it at me.

         I had a “record” for not listening to orders. I do not plan to be left behind. We were nearing the facility. The plan was to sneak in through the roof. This worked and soon we were inside the building. The facility was different in the night the orange crates on the right side of the room were opened recently; actually, all of the crates were open. This place runs all the time, there are always at least three military officers in the building. I thought about telling them about my thought, but I thought that it was nothing. The cold concrete floor had fresh mud, but it was not in foot prints, it seemed that something was dragged into the unknown area.”

         Everyone keep up your guard,” said the operations manager. We went into the closed part of the building. This area was no longer foggy. The area had radiation warnings everywhere and there were old German gassing chambers on the ground floor. What is going on? Then, we saw a shadow move on the ground floor. “Stop, put your hands above your head,” I said. A chase broke out. The man or women took off so we climbed down as fast as we could.

“Where did he go?’ replied Don. Don was an expert when it comes to past wars and their equipment. His family was killed on a vacation to Russia.

Just then, something made a loud sound. It sounded as if something opened. Next, we heard a scream. It came from Don. He was dragged into the gas chamber. We ran as fast as we could. We approached a room in which we thought we were safe. We were wrong. Iron bars surrounded the doors and gas started to pour in and I saw a familiar face. He started laughing.

“What is this?” I screamed to the mysterious man. He ran away, and soon the door opened back up. He had us, why would he just let us go? We ran outside of the facility through a door. “We need to evacuate right now,” I said to the chopper pilot.

---The Next Day---

         The U.S. had declared that I had done my job and would come back to medals and other rewards for what I have done. In fact, they said I was to report all of my findings with the president Eric Minors. This is going to be an honor. I was scheduled to leave on my plane the next day. The thought of why the man let us leave still confuses me, but I got some rest before the plane ride the next day.

---The Morning before the Flight---

         I did not feel that well that day. The day I would finally stop being off track. My fellow Japanese agents had been getting on my back of finishing this little detour. In the airport all of my fellow U.S. agents were there except Don. I actually liked Don and if there was one American that I would have liked to live on this mission it was Don. We used to play poker at night. I volunteered to call his family and tell about his untimely demise. I was supposed to tell them that he got into a car wreck on his way back to meet them, but his body was completely smashed and not to look inside the coffin. Tensions between Russia and the U.S. rose because Russia had their suspicions about the break in of their secret testing facility. I got through customs alright, but I had a killer cough and I felt extremely weak. Just make it back to America. Those facilities were dirty and must have given me a case of the flu. They delayed the plane to America, because of Don’s death. We sat in vigil for the fallen friend. I told his parents about his “car accident.” They delayed the plane for this and we thanked them for it. After that, I was back on track, or so I thought.

© Copyright 2012 Chris S. Kennedy (cswitzer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903289-Ambush-Book-1-of-the-Dark-Night-Series