*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903352-The-End-Is-What-Matters
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1903352
Gary is selfish person, but then he changes his ways.
The End Is What Matters
People can change
Chapter 1
“It was as if he didn't only change himself that day, but it was as if he changed the world…,” said Austin with a voice that made everybody feel like they all knew the person that had gone away. All you can see in the crowd was almost not like a sign of sorrow, but a sign of amazement and shock of what that person did.

It was just another day for a guy named Gary. He knew he was one of the most popular guys in high school even though he was very selfish. He wouldn't even treat his girlfriend with much respect, but to Mary it didn’t really matter because she knew that someday that he would change for the better. Even Austin, Gary’s best friend, knew look past his issues and always be a good friend no matter what dumb stuff Gary did. Gary was heart gold rich because of his very large land owning father that owned an entire airport company. Flying was almost always Gary’s dream when he was a kid. Gary would always have dreams of flying on of the planes his father owned for fun, but then so many nightmares would rush into his head.

He woke up that day knowing it was the last day of school forever. When he came to school with his new 2012 Bugatti Veyron, he saw people crying or being happy that it was their last day of High School. Then all of a sudden a man with a professional uniform was knocking hard on his glass window. Gary pulled down the window with a face of confusion.

“That’s a mighty fine vehicle you got here son,” he said.

“Yah well I don’t think you’re going to want to pay for a broken window then right,” Gary said with a smirk.

“Well I like your aggressive attitude boy. I've been talking to a lot of young men, but most of them are too scared to say yes. I bet you’re going to be one of them too since you’re a little rich boy.”

“I’m not going to die for this dumb country besides I already got everything I need. And where are you from the Army, Navy, Marines, or Air Force?”

“Well that’s all your choose kid. And I’m from the air force. Well here I’ll give you the papers just in case you change your mind.” After he handed the paper, the hurried man starting walking away , and began to talk to a group of boys and girls about the air force.

Gary thought the idea of even joining the air force was crazy and stupid, but the only fun thing about it was flying. He stared at the papers for a little while then just put them below his seat. He parked the car in the parking lot and went into school. He ignored his girlfriend even though she was calling his name, and just met up with his friends.

Chapter 2
When school ended Gary finally met up with his girlfriend, he gave her a quick kiss, and just left her behind to talk to his best friend Austin. Gary shouted, “hey Austin!”

Austin turned around and gave Gary a handshake. He said, “What’s up bro?”

“Nothing really it’s just I had to get away from my girlfriend.”

“Come man why do you treat her like that?”

“I don’t know probably I just need a girl to fulfill my manly needs, duh!”

“Okay well that’s your own issues.”

“Well imma go home now so see yeah later bro.”

“Alright well don’t do anything stupid bro and don’t forget about the party today”

“Come on you know I don’t and alright I’ll go to the party,” Gary said with a sarcastic voice. He left to his car and went back home. When he got back home, he wanted to take a quick nap before he was going to one of his friend’s party.

Chapter 3
Three years past after Gary’s last day of school. During these 3 years Gary’s father lost all his money, home, and everything else he had or owned. After that happened Gary decided to marry Mary, his girlfriend in high school, so that he could get some money, and have a place to live.

“Hey I’m going with Austin to the bar,” Gary said as he was almost walking out the door.

“Gary you've been going with him the whole week, don’t you think you could at least spend some time with me or get a job so that you could help me pay out the bills?”

“So… He’s my best friend babe. Besides we spend lots time together. And I can’t talk anymore because I’m already leaving so bye.” Gary said as he hurried to lock the door and start his car. In his mind he remembered when he proposed to Mary and how in that moment he felt truly in love with Mary, but now not so much anymore. By the time he was starting to stop thinking about those things, he had already arrived at the bar. He parked the car and got out and went into the bar. When he opened the doors, he already saw Austin at the bar area trying to talk to some girls. “Hey Austin, what are you doing,” Gary said with a funny voice.

“I don’t know, I guess I’m not really that good talking to girls.”

“Well it’s okay man, because you always got me,” he said with a little laugh while giving Austin a little shrug.

“Come on man, you know that never cheers me up,” Austin said with a little smirk and giving a little shrug back to Gary. “Hey Joe give me a round of tequila shots for me and Gary.” The bartender gave them the shots fast.

“It’s on the house today Austin. Since you guys are my regulars.”

“Come on Joe I was finally going to pay for it this time,” Gary said with a sarcastic voice then laughed at the end.

“Just shut up Gary, we all know you don’t have money,” Austin said while Joe went back to serve his other customers. “I’ve been thinking a lot about something Gary...”

“Don’t tell your turning gay because you can’t pick up girls. Look I’ll help you find the right girl,” Gary said with a loud laugh but somehow making a serious face with some sarcasm while interrupting Austin. Then he took a drink from his shot.

“No! I’m being serious Gary. I’ve been thinking about joining the air force. I want to do something in my life that has meaning for other people you know.” After he said that he took a drink from his shot then took a look at Gary’s face.

Gary made an almost amused face it was like he was going to burst out laughing. “Oh man I can’t believe what you just said. You seriously think doing that will have meaning,” he said with chuckles.

“Well come on man, I have to do something in my life. Besides I was thinking we could go together, so we could be like the best pilots ever.”

“There is no way I’m risking my own life for other people,” Gary said. Then he took another drink of his shot and started to think for a while. He started to remember when he was a kid playing with toy airplanes and other memories that reminded him for his love of any type of airplane. There was a moment of silence until he finally said, “you know what I’ll join the air force with you, but only because I want to be the best pilot in the world.”

“Alright well we’re going tomorrow early in the morning so we’re the first ones there. So don’t try to be late, and don’t try anything dumb.”

“Come on of course I’ll be there on time because I know I’m going to be the best one there. To prove it I’m going to sleep early and leaving right now,” Gary said with a little sarcasm and happiness in his voice as he walked out the door of the bar, and into his car. Once he got back home he silently opened the door and locked it behind him so that Mary wouldn’t hear him. He tried acting like a ninja trying to be out of sight and very quiet. He quickly got to bed while avoiding his wife, and was able to fall asleep fast.

Chapter 4
When Gary woke he found out that Mary was already awake and not in bed even though it was super early on a Saturday. After Gary took a shower and did everything else he had to do to go to get ready for the recruitment center for the air force. When he went inside the kitchen, he already saw breakfast made by his wife. When she saw him she said with a little worried face, “Austin told me last night about how you two are joining the air force. Why didn’t you tell me about any of this Gary? You can’t always hide things from me.”

Gary ignored her for a while because he wanted to start eating the food. After a few bites he replied, “I didn’t tell you anything because I knew you were going to make a big deal about it. Besides it’s my life and I can make my own decisions.”

“Didn’t you think about me Gary? Sometimes I matter too you know because things aren’t always about you. You can’t even help me pay bills or anything, but now you want to join the air force. Sometimes I just don’t know what to do anymore,” Mary said with a dramatic voice and it was like she was almost going to cry.

Gary finished his breakfast and replied, “Look I don’t have enough time to be wasting it around here, and besides I’m to be late if I keep talking to you.” He just grabbed the car keys and walked out the door to his car. Then he drove all the way to the air force recruitment center. It wasn’t really that much a building, but to Gary just being at this place made him feel dumb for even coming. Then when he got inside he already saw Austin in line and just started cutting people like if he was in a lunch line in high school, so he could join him.

“Well look who showed up almost on time and looks like you actually got ready for this too,” Austin said with a surprised but yet funny voice at the same time.

“I’m here so you better be happy.”

Then a man that was sharply came out and started to explain things about the air force, and a whole bunch of other stuff that seemed dumb to Gary until he started talking about flying the planes. Somehow the man looked familiar to Gary, but then he remembered that he was the man trying to enlist him when he was in high school. After all the talking had stopped they made everybody go through health tests and so many other tests that Gary didn't even know that existed. They had to do different types of exercises while people would study them with clipboards like if they were writing notes. When it was all over they were given results and a paper to sign to show that they are really in the air force, and Austin and Gary both signed the papers.
Chapter 5
Two years had passed since Gary and Austin joined the air force. Austin and Gary both got into the same squad, but Gary was promoted captain because of his amazing flying skills. Now there are no more practicing because Gary was ordered another mission of combat, and everybody was already in the air going to the target zone. They were in a V- shaped formation of five planes, but Gary would usually get away from the group so he could perform different types of tricks. After a long time of flying they finally arrived at the target zone.

“Alright the army is getting pinned down there, so we have to support them. Everybody separate and drop bombs at different enemy squads. Watch out for enemy aircraft too,” Gary said.

“Aren’t we supposed to stick together Gary?” Austin asked.

“Look it’s every man for himself from now. Now do what I said Austin because that’s an order.”

Everybody went their separate ways. Gary saw an enemy squad nearby and just started dropping missiles killing everybody in his path. After he finished his target, the radio was starting to act up.

“Enemy aircraft is on my tail, and I need help right now because I don’t think I can shake them any longer,” one of Gary’s squad members started yelling nervously on the headset.

“I’m coming to help you,” one of the other members replied. When he barely got there he saw the enemy aircraft double teaming him, and now he was in trouble. He tried shaking them, but it was already too late because the enemy had just sent a missile. The person’s aircraft exploded and then another explosion came from the other pilot’s plane.

“What just happened,” Gary was asking.

“They’re gone Gary! They got killed because of you!” Austin screamed into the headset.

“Look I told them that it was every man for himself, so he got himself killed. Besides we have to leave now because enemy aircraft are starting to come in.”

“Of course they’re coming in. That’s what killed our friends!”

“I’m going to base now because I don’t want to end up like them. Now everybody go back to the base, and that’s an order. If you can’t come back alive that’s your own fault and we won’t try to save you.”

When they safely arrived at base and landed their planes Austin came rushing towards Gary. “What the heck were you doing Gary!? You got to remember that the squad needs to stick together! You’re not a lone wolf no more and this isn't all about you now. You have to realize that,” Austin shouted at him while pushing him and getting in his face.

“It wasn't my fault Austin. I told them a direct order that every man is for themselves. He broke that order and got himself killed! This always happens because some idiot tries to be a hero,” he said innocently and trying to make it seem like it wasn't his fault while getting Austin off of him.

“This isn't the first time you know! I’m tired of watching our squad getting killed because of your stupid decisions. I’m going to talk the general, so that you won’t be our leader no more. We actually need someone that won’t kill us.” Austin said then he started walking away in a really aggravated mood.

“Alright you can do that!” he yelled as Austin was walking away from him. Then he actually started seeing and remembering the missions when his other squad members died. It was like the explosions of their planes were right next to him and he remembered them asking for help, but Gary never went.

He tried to forget all his memories by going to sleep and getting ready for the next day, but it only made it worse. He started having nightmares of the dead pilots and some of his other missions that went wrong. Then it all ended when he woke up.
Chapter 6
After he got dressed and everything, he went outside to get some fresh air. Austin came to him and he still looked like he was still in a bad mood. “The general said he’s giving you one more chance and you only got this one more mission to prove yourself.”

Gary never replied to Austin. He just walked away from him, so that he could get his orders for his mission. The plan was pretty simple just take out an entire enemy base and leave. Then there was information about a high tech war craft that the base had. It seemed something that wasn't really important to Gary though. After he knew what he was going to do, he got his squad ready. The squad was already spreading rumors that he was an enemy because so many people died from his one squad. People were starting to get suspicious and doubting his leader skills. After he pep talked his squad about what they were going to do, they all got into their planes. They all got into the air and got into the V-shaped formation.

Austin just randomly said, “Are you going to kill us all this time?”

“No I’m not because we are going to stick together and have each other’s backs this time. Just try not to be a hero.” Everyone was relieved when they heard the orders. Then they finally arrived at the enemy’s base. They weren't trying to attract a lot of attention to the base, so they tried hiding above the clouds.

“Alright one by one drop your missiles on them, and get back into formation,” Gary said. The squad did what they were told. One by one sent their missiles with ease against the enemies. All you could see is explosions after explosions when each went down to fire all their missiles. Gary thought there was no way anything could survive those explosions, so he already thought the job was done. Until a strange vehicle came out of what looked like a garage, then Gary remembered about reading the high tech war craft, and what it was capable of doing.

“Oh crap everybody get as far away from the vehicle as possible!” Gary yelled. It was already too late for one of them, because the vehicle had just shot him out of the sky like if it were nothing. Everybody started spreading out as the machine starting shooting in multiple directions to catch the planes.

“What is that thing Gary?!” Austin yelled in the headset.

“I don’t know some type of advanced war machine!”

“Well what are we going to do because we all ran out of ammo?!”

“I still got one more missile left. I think I can take it out, but I need everybody to distract as I get a clear shot.” Everybody started to go everywhere, so that the machine would have at least some difficulty shooting its targets. Then Gary got a clear open shot and he took it. When the missile hit the machine, it only damaged mainly the bottom half of it, and somehow it was still fully operational. “Dang that thing won’t go down!” Gary yelled.

“What are we going to do now?” Austin questioned with a scared voice.

“I still got one more idea.”

“What is it?”

Gary never replied back, and just started to remember all his mistakes of being a leader in the air force. All the bad things he has done in life and to his wife. It was like all these memories hit in a couple of seconds, and realized what he had to do. Then replied after a while, “I’m going to tell all the people that I got killed that I’m sorry for my decisions Austin.” He said this as he turned his plane towards the machine.

“What do you mean? And what are you doing? Austin asked as he saw what Gary was doing.

“Just tell Mary I’m sorry for being a jerk to her every day. Tell her that she deserves to be with somebody better than me Austin. Tell her that I really did love her, but I just couldn't show it.” He said passionately and with almost a crying voice as he got even closer to the machine.

“No man you don’t have to do this we can another way to destroy that thing before it kills all of us!” Austin yelled. Then he tried contacted the base for back up, but the radio was working because the machine was also jamming their communications.

“It’s been an honor serving with you guys.” Gary said as he was just about a couple feet away from the machine going at full speed. Then there was a huge explosion as the plane hit the machine. You couldn't see any parts of the plane or parts of the machine after the smoke cleared up. All you could see was fire and nothing else. When the squad got back to base, and told everybody about what happened during their mission. Everyone thought that they were making it all up until they got some camera footage from Austin’s plane. After they saw the video everybody was silent and in shock of what just happened.

Chapter 7
When the air force had to send the news about Gary’s death, Austin wanted to be the one to tell her. He remembered walking up to the door not really knowing what to say and sometimes hesitated to ring the doorbell. Until finally he rang the bell and Mary came to the door and opened it. She already knew what just happened. Then she started to cry and ask how it happened. Austin started explaining what happened and what he did and tried to make him sound like a hero. He also told her about what he said before he died, and it was like deep down Mary already knew it. After a long time of crying and talking Austin told her about the funeral they arranged.

At the funeral after the soldiers gave their salutes and shot their guns, Austin walked up to the podium. “It was as if he didn't only change himself that day, but it was as if he changed the world…,” said Austin with a voice that made everybody feel like they all knew the person that had gone away. All you can see in the crowd was almost not like a sign of sorrow, but a sign of amazement and shock of what that person did. After Austin gave his long speech about his personal and military life with Gary, the general walked up to the podium.

“It is with great honor to give the act of valor to Gary. I hope he knows what he did wasn't only heroic but also inspiring…” as the general kept going on like if Gary was the best person in world.
© Copyright 2012 Brian Castaneda (randomkid76 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903352-The-End-Is-What-Matters