*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903836-Flight-from-Mons-Observatory
by Isa
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1903836
Flash fiction entry. Kara, Helb, and an unnamed third party at Mons Observatory, Mars.
         “…And what of the book?”
         Kara shook her head. Helb continued to stare at the tinted window, refusing to join in the battle of her quibbling masters.
         “We cannot leave it there. Iopean Storm is in the area, and they have a master bio-electrician in their cohort. They will not only understand it, they will exploit it and eliminate any other readers that they can find.”
         Kara glanced up, peered at the tinted window, and shook her head once more. “We continue our journey. Cover our tracks. Erase bio-imprints to the best of our abilities. They will not pursue us if they have to spend more than a minute examining the area, and we can do the chemical exchanges quick enough that they do not bother to further analyze. They rarely pursue low-level scavengers, and that is what they will think we are. Only an inexpensive sweep, keep the air at a cold suit level.”
         Helb glanced to her masters, “Thirty seconds until safety protocol three.” The vocalizations were monotonically stated, the same frequency that all type 5 androids are hardwired to articulate. Kara picked up the ChemSuitC, activated the atmospheric and terrain chameleon adaptor, and began a thorough sweep of the rosy soil that held traces of a previous brawl.
         “Suppose I’ll do the heat traces,” Helb intoned. The camouflaging-grey body suit opened its pores and a chilling breeze followed. The third party, unnamed and physically amorphous, began to test the nearby dimensions for exotic matter and wormhole potentials.
         “Remember, none too thorough. Too smart is more suspicious than too sloppy.”
         “Yes, yes, mother dear---“
         “Transportation path found. Five seconds to dissipation. Nine seconds to safety protocol three.”
         The three characters converged, and the next second were thousands of miles departed.
© Copyright 2012 Isa (kyachimegann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903836-Flight-from-Mons-Observatory