*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903900-A-Mirror-A-Man-His-Wife-and-Her-Wish
by Leigh
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1903900
A short story I submitted to "The First Line"
A Mirror, A Man, His Wife and Her Wish





A light snow was falling as Charlie Reardon left the diner and made his way down Madison Street. It was a short walk to the home he’d shared with his wife for sixty years. When he reached the porch, he sat down on the steps. It had been snowing like this the day he and Mary brought the mirror home.

The 1950’s held Charlie’s happiest memories. This was when Mary came into his life. They soon married and made a home for themselves. The only thing missing from their lives was a child. They tried for years, but it was not to be. Mary fell into a deep depression. Charlie tried everything to cheer her up.

One afternoon he convinced her to come with him to an antique market that had been advertised in the paper. She loved antiquing, and Charlie thought it was time to furnish the empty room at the end of the hall they’d been saving for a nursery.

The market was very busy, people bustling to and fro looking at all the beautiful furniture. A man walked out from his booth and beckoned them to his stand. He was about 85 years old, but very spry for his age.

“Hello there,” he said as he approached them. “How is this beautiful day treating you?” Mary hung her head and grabbed onto Charlie’s arm.

“Just fine, thank you sir.” Charlie replied. “My wife and I were just window shopping so to speak, getting some fresh air.” Charlie put his arm around Mary and kissed her head. “I hear it’s supposed to snow later today. Thought we’d take advantage the weather while we could.”

“Well, it certainly is a good day for that,” the man replied. He looked at Mary for a moment, then back at Charlie. He could see the sadness in their eyes.

“If you folks would be so kind as to follow me over here, I believe I have something that may stir your interest.” He led Charlie and Mary over to a small shed-like building. The door was open and they could see lots of furniture pushed together.

“You’ll excuse the mess, I haven’t gotten my wares sorted out yet. Let’s see, I know it’s here somewhere.” The man walked farther and farther back into the shed. Looking over his shoulder, he motioned for them to follow. Charlie took Mary’s hand and they followed him in.

“I’ve been going town to town, and you’re the first people I’ve come across who I believe would be best suited for this.” He reached up and took hold of a quilt, pulling it off a large, ancient looking mirror. The wooden frame was stained a dark mahogany, and felt smooth to the touch. Charlie could see that the silver backing was marred in some places, but it only added to the beauty of the mirror.

“Mary,” Charlie whispered. “Look at this beautiful mirror.” Mary raised her head and gazed at the mirror.

“Yes, it’s very pretty,” she said softly. The man caught Charlie’s eyes, he could see the pain they were in.

“What did you mean when you said you believed that we would be the best suited for this?” Charlie asked. “I’m sorry, I don’t follow.”

The man folded up the quilt and set it on a table nearby. “I’ve owned this mirror for close to 60 years. It’s a very special to me, and seeing as I’m getting along in years, I need to make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it.

Mary walked closer to the mirror and peered at her reflection. Although she felt tired and so, so sad, her reflection was of a happier woman. Her eyes seemed brighter and there was just a hint of color in her cheeks. Her hands flew up to her face as she looked into the mirror in disbelief. The man witnessed her reaction and smiled.

Charlie came up behind his wife and his reflection joined hers. It was amazing how the mirror cast such a subtle change upon their faces. Charlie turned and faced the man, a question forming on lips.

“I know, I know,” laughed the man. “It’s crazy how much happier and full of life this old mirror can make you look.”

Charlie and Mary turned back to the mirror. “Make a wish,” the man said. Mary closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them, she looked closely in the mirror again. She gasped at the image staring back at her.

Grabbing Charlie’s arm she pointed to the mirror. “Do you see that, look! Look at me, I’m holding a child!”

Charlie couldn’t believe it. Sure enough, there in the old mirror was a reflection of his wife and a little girl. He turned towards the old man. “Do you see that?”

The old man smiled. “No, I can’t see the things you do, I can only see my dreams.” Leaning in close to Mary and Charlie he explained.

“When I was a much younger man, my heart wanted only one thing, to see the world. My parents were farmers and couldn’t begin to afford traveling. I worked until I was eighteen and then set off to see the world on my own. It was hard back then. I made it to the east coast before my money ran out.” The old man could see Mary was shaken by the image in the mirror. He offered her a seat at a small table he’d set up and continued his story.

“I was lucky to find employment at the docks. I figured I could save money and keep my sights set on the east. One afternoon a merchant ship docked. My boss called me and said they needed help unloading. I jumped at the chance to explore the vessel.

It was late that night when we finished. The captain invited me to have a drink and a small meal before I left. We talked for hours of all the places he’d traveled and the wonders he’d seen. I shared with him my love of travel and exploration. As I was getting ready to leave, the captain said he wanted to show me something. It was the mirror. He said it had traveled the world with him and brought him much happiness. Now was the time to pass it on to its next owner. The old man paused, lost in thought.

“What brought you back here,” asked Mary.

“Once I’d seen all I could of this world, I wanted to come back home and live out the rest of my life where I’d grown up.”

“If you don’t mind, sir, what exactly does the mirror do?” Charlie grabbed hold of his wife’s hand.

The man looked at Charlie and to Mary and sighed. “This will surely make you think I’ve gone ‘round the bend, but I swear on my mother’s grave, it’s the truth. The mirror can transport you to exactly where you want to be in life.”

Mary looked at the man, tears forming in her eyes. “I want a child,” she whispered. Charlie hugged her close.

“Take the mirror home,” the man said. “Put it in your favorite room.” He paused, wanting to make sure the next part was perfectly clear. “You need to think about this and be sure of your decision.” Mary and Charlie nodded. “At midnight, stand in front of the mirror, close your eyes and concentrate on what you want most out of life. Then, slowly open them and step through the mirror.”

Charlie started to say something, but Mary stopped him. She stood up and hugged the man. She nodded to him and he knew he had chosen the right couple.

Charlie brought his truck around and they carefully loaded the mirror. He pulled his wallet out, but the old man wouldn’t take any money.

“All I ask is that you pass it on to the right person when the time is right,” he said.

“How will we know,” Mary asked.

‘You’ll know,” he said, smiling. “I knew, the man who gave it to me knew. You will, too.”

Charlie and Mary took the mirror home and placed it in the nursery. The spent several days talking about what they wanted most out of their lives. Then, one evening, Mary woke up and looked at the clock. It was almost midnight. She sat up and saw Charlie was waiting for her at the foot of the bed.

“It’s time,” she said. Charlie took her hand and they went into the nursery. They stepped quietly through the mirror, imagining what their lives could be.

Nine months later, Mary gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Charlie often went back to the antique market to look for the old man. No one recalled there ever being anyone who fit his description every being there.

When their daughter grew up, she met and married a wonderful man. He was kind, loving, and took her around the world.

Several years after Mary died, Charlie decided it was time to fulfill his promise to the old man. He met a young couple traveling across the country in the local diner one evening. They saw he was alone and asked him to share their table. Charlie listened to them for hours talking about their journey to the west coast. There was a clinic there, the young man explained, that could possible help his wife get well.

It was getting late, and they needed to get back on the road. Charlie asked them to wait for just a few moments, that he would be right back. He went home, wrapped up the mirror in the same quilt the old man had used so many years before. When he got back to the diner, he helped the young couple pack it in their car. They looked at Charlie, wondering why this stranger would give them such a beautiful antique mirror.

Charlie hugged the young man’s wife and told them to take care of it for him. He explained that if they stood in front of it at midnight and imagined what they wanted most out of life; they would see it reflected in the mirror. They tried to pay Charlie, but he refused, making them promise to pass it on one day to its next owner.









Leigh writes in various coffee shops and wine bars in Asheville, NC. When she can’t get to sleep, her husband tells her fairy tales. He has a wonderful imagination and story ideas in her head.



© Copyright 2012 Leigh (leighwritenow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1903900-A-Mirror-A-Man-His-Wife-and-Her-Wish