*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905600-Depth
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1905600
Just a look inward
    Sinking into the murky deep.  Is this swimming or drowning?  Dark shapes circle, things with teeth-
Anger, Loneliness, Sadness.  Things that tear out chunks in subtle ways, with teeth so sharp you don't even know you've been bitten.  Shadows swim up from the dark, but there's nowhere to hide inside your skin. 
    Somewhere, far above, sunlight shines, golden and warm.  But down here only the dim twilight of dusk filters down.  Only enough to illuminate the cold eyes that stalk the depths.  People above wave and smile, oblivious to the seething below.  Resentment begins to build seeing their smiles, the sunlight on their faces.
    Better, easier, to turn to into the shadows where emptiness is a familiar companion.  Even if you fight to the surface, you will never not see the movement below.  Never not feel the ripple as the monsters below pass.  The calm glass on the surface hides a dark, lurking world.  Emotion waiting to swallow you whole.
© Copyright 2012 Elise Alexander (elisealexandr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905600-Depth