*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905993-Hunger-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1905993
A continuation of Hunger.
Chapter Five--
         I woke up, but didn’t open my eyes yet, just trying to get my bearings around me. I felt a leg on top of my own and a hand resting on my chest. Confused, I opened my eyes.
         “Egh, Travis… Get off me.” I said to his still sleeping form. I pushed him off of me and got off the bed. Glancing the clock, I noticed that we only had a few minutes before our first class began.
         “God dammit Travis, get up,” I shouted to him as he cuddled even further under the blankets. I pulled on my jeans and searched for a shirt. Then finally after a few moments, I found one and pulled it on. Travis, on the other hand, was in no hurry to be getting out of bed any time soon.
         “Hey Travis,” I said, leaning against the wall by the door, “I have a Twinkie, but you gotta get outta bed to get it.” He heard me and mumbled, “Gimme back my Twinkie…” or something along those lines.
         “Travis, you want the Twinkie?”
         “Gimme the Twinkie…”
         “No, it’s my Twinkie now… sorry Travis. You snooze, you lose.”
         At this point, Travis was finally waking up. Then, being the ninja that he is, he leaped out of bed. “Give me the Twinkie!” He landed beside me and began attacking me with his shin quoi. I managed to block most of the oncoming attacks, but Travis always gets a hit or two on my chest with his long arms.
         “Morning Travis… oh yeah… there was no Twinkie.” I said.
         “Aw, sad face.”
         “Whatever, we going to school or not?” I asked him seriously.
         “I really don’t feel like it. If you wanna go Chris, go ahead. I’m skipping.” He said, heading back to the bed.
         “Fine. Bye Travis. See ya after school.” I said grabbing my bag as I watched him grab a game controller. I rolled my eyes at him. Video games…again. As if last night wasn’t enough. We kept playing till we fell asleep, even if that did mean Travis was all on top of me this morning.
I left Travis in his room playing his video games and walked out the door with a set of keys in my hand…to Travis’s car.
         “Morning!”
         I ignored Sophie as she made her way to my closet. She pulled out a few shirts and studied each, apparently deciding what she would wear to school today. I growled at her and she looked back in my direction.
         “What?” she asked, smiling sweetly back at me.
         “Aren’t you even gonna ask?” I asked her, knowing full well that she wasn’t going to…she never did. She would always steal my clothes, usually behind my back, but now, she’s beyond caring whether I know she has something or not. She loves seeing me mad.
         “No.”
         I sigh. “Whatever Sophie, go ahead. I’m not in the mood to argue with you today.” I got out of bed and got dressed myself, knowing full well that I would not be going to school. Or maybe I should…I thought to myself. I would just have to be sure not to come in his view, or come in contact with him. At least, for a little while.
         I pulled on some clean jeans and a cute top. I looked in the mirror, and laughed at myself. Why do I always do this? I always glance at the mirror, knowing full well that my reflection would not be there. Old habits die hard I guess. Being a human girl, I would always spend at least a few moments fussing over my hair and my makeup – but now, none of that mattered. Now that I was a vampire, I was flawless, a diamond among all the granite.
         Shaking away old thoughts, I pulled on my cowboy boots. “Sophie do I look ok?” I asked. She looked at me and then went back to the pile of clothes that was now accumulating on my bed.
         “You look fine,” Came her response.
         I took a quick look at the clock and said, “Sophie, time to go.” She quickly decided on a shirt and changed into it while I went out to my car.
         Class went by as usual, and in between I would always look for Alla. Apparently, she didn’t appear to school today. I was curious why though.
         At lunch, I looked for her again, but I didn’t see her anywhere. And Travis didn’t bother with coming to school either. I mostly stayed to myself the rest of the day, lost in my own thoughts.
         I had parked my car a few blocks away from my school. Now I was just stalking Chris, making sure to keep out of sight from everyone. I had to keep an eye on him. And for any sign that someone might suspect something between the two of us. I’m pretty sure that I did a pretty good job at influencing his memory.
         He shouldn’t remember anything of the conversation we had last night. Nor would he remember us planning to have a conversation in April’s house. He wouldn’t remember the intimate moments that were shared between us… and hopefully nothing would spark those memories. I think that I put up some pretty tough wards.
         Now I just had to stay out of sight for a while.
         Because, right now, all he knew was that I had arrived to school yesterday. And after that, he had spent the rest of the day playing video games and chomping down on food back at Travis’s. Which reminds me… I had also influenced Travis’s mind. He would only remember the pictures that I had placed into his mind.
         It felt wrong to do all of this….but there was no other way out. I wouldn’t risk his life. He was innocent. He was…human. Vermin.
         He was… is…mine.
         I watched him go through school, looking around, slightly hopeful. Then I’d watch as his face would fall, and he’d go back to his sullen self. It almost made him seem robotic. He was distracted. I wanted to know what was going through his mind right now.
         It was almost tempting to peek inside…
         But I held myself under control. My presence, my essence, might make him remember what happened. He might find out what I am. Again. No. I wouldn’t let that happen. I’d rather he live a full happy life without me having to threaten it every waking minute.
         I don’t want to have to hide, nor do I want to be destroyed.
         I didn’t want to have to hide him, nor to do I want to be the one that brings his death. I wouldn’t forgive myself.
         Though…I couldn’t bear to leave him.
         I really do love him.
         The bell rang and everyone rushed out of their seats and headed for the door. I reluctantly got out of my seat and walked to the parking lot. I got in the car and went to Travis’s house again. I was pretty sure that I would find him exactly as I had left him, playing video games and eating all kinds of crap.
         It didn’t surprise me to find my prediction correct. I jumped onto the bed and groaned. Finally, I got up and got myself into the kitchen to scavenge for any remainders of food. Sadly, I only found scraps of this and that. None looking that appetizing.
         I walked back into Travis’s room and grabbed the other game controller. DBZ again. Instinctually, I picked Trunks, and the match began.
         I tried to make sure that Alla didn’t cross my mind. Strangely, just thinking of her can be quite distracting. Being in her presence was a whole bunch worse. It made it hard to think. It felt like my brain was turning to mush…
         I shook my head a few times and tried to focus on DBZ again. Trying to get my head back where it should be. Travis was killing me…
         I managed to not think of Alla long enough to beat Travis, but afterwards, I honestly hoped that maybe she’d be in school tomorrow. Sometimes being away from her, hurt. Somehow, something inside of me was telling me that we were just meant to be together. But there was a tiny, just a flicker of a thought, that was there telling me that there was something about her that she was hiding something…something that I already knew.
         I shrugged off the thought for now. Then without a moment’s notice, I was ambushed from behind. Travis had jumped onto my back and the wrestling match had begun.
         “Please, please, please, please, please!” Sophie wanted to go out tonight, but I just wasn’t in the mood to go with her. Usually I did, just to keep an eye on her, and make sure she didn’t get too crazy.
         “Rawr, Sophie, if you wanna go, go alone. You’re allowed tonight. I don’t want to go anywhere and quite frankly I’m not that thirsty.” That was the truth; I had a snack earlier today when I snagged a nice college kid, after I had stopped stalking Chris.
         “Really? I can go alone?” she asked confused. Then smiled. As usual, it was one that I recognized instantly. It was a mischievous grin, once again she would be up to no good.
         I smiled. “Go ahead.”
         She knew well enough what she was capable of, and she knew the dos and don’ts of vampirism. Hopefully she wouldn’t get too cocky. There had been an increase of hunters lately. Especially around the East Coast. More vampires were getting hunted, and we’ve yet to identify the person.
                   “Don’t stay out too late,” I called after Sophie as she ran off into the night. She turned back only for a second.
         “Don’t worry Alla. I’ll be home before sunrise.” With one last smirk, she turned and ran out of my sight. I sighed and went back inside the house. A few moments later, there was a knock at the door.
         “Come in George, you know it’s unlocked.” I went into the kitchen and got some soda.
         “Hey Alla. What’s up?” George’s voice greeted me as I came into the living room.
         “Nothing much… just the same old crap day after day. Soda?” I asked, handing him the can of coke.
         “Thanks.” He said, sitting down in an armchair.
         “No problem.” I said and lay down on the couch. “Thanks for keeping me company.” I was in some serious need of some tonight. I couldn’t spend my time just thinking of him.
“Think anyone will be out tonight?” Travis asked Chris as they got into the car.
“I guess we’ll find out, won’t we?” Chris said with a grin. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he really hoped that they would get lucky, in fact, he had a good feeling that they would find one.
Somewhere in the back of his mind, a quick image of a girl and himself standing in a kitchen flashed before his eyes. Shaking his head to clear his mind, he quickly put on his seatbelt as they drove off.
         George watched me as I glanced back at the clock for the thousandth time that night. I turned away from it again and sighed.
         “Hey Alla, you waitin’ for somthin?” he asks me.
         “Well, Sophie should be home by now. She usually isn’t this late. Do you think I should go look for her?” I asked him. He thought to himself for a moment. He nodded at last and I got off the couch.
         “Would it be ok if I come along? It’s not safe for one of my favorite people to hang out by themselves in the middle of the night,” he added.
         “Fine.” I slid into my shoes and walked out the front door with George right behind me. I quickly turned back to lock the door and we walked past my car and out to the streets where few lamp posts were lit. I sensed the air and found traces of Sophie’s scent. I started on the trail that was growing colder by the second.
         Sadly, now I had to keep an eye out for George, but it’s nothing a seasoned vampire couldn’t handle. Sophie where are you?
© Copyright 2012 Ivory Malinov (hollah4alla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1905993-Hunger-Part-2