*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906559-Vlandimer-The-Curse-of-the-Grey-Folk
Rated: ASR · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1906559
NOTE THIS IS A WORKING PROGRESS CHAPTER THREE
Reta



It took all morning for Silas, Chaz and April to climb down the cliff. They had rested twice to gain back their breath before continuing.

They were all sitting down eating a stew April had made, using an abandoned pot.

After they ate Silas spoke to April.

“So what is the plan?” he while Chaz got onto his feet.

April and Silas got onto their feet as well.

“First we will walk to Reta and pick up supplies.” She answered him.

“How long will that take?” Silas asked.

“Two hours, three if we take our time. Reta lies to the east of us.” Chaz answered this time.

They walked in silence for a while Silas studied his surroundings. The land was awfully dry and empty even though a small stream was a mile away.

“What is this placed called?” Silas asked.

“Valley of Death.” Chaz replied.

“Fitting.” Silas said. Chaz grunted in agreement.

Silas noticed April shaking her head solemnly. He gave her a curious look.

“It’s a shame here. It used to be full of trees and other of natures design many years ago. Those who remembered the dead used to be able to come up here and find peace. It was a lovely place. Some even said it was the reflection of the afterlife.” April said.

Silas opened his mouth but before he could utter a single syllable April answered his unasked question as if she knew what he wanted to know.

“The Queen had the trees chopped down for houses and war tools. It is said by some that this place now reflects her fears.”

Silas closed his mouth rattling his brain. He was pleased that April was telling him all this but at the same time he was getting frustrated with himself due to the amount of questions he wanted answers for. Deciding what to ask first was also proven to be a challenge for him.

“Why are you telling me all this?” he finally asked.

“Because it beats having a conversation with this old miserable git.” She said nodding to Chaz. “And I am enjoying myself quite the thing.”

Chaz glared at her his expression of one who was completely furious but did not comment on it. Silas glanced at him but he did not notice.

“What do you know of history?” April asked Silas.

The question confused him slightly. He did not know anything about history never mind stories of myths and legends.

“Not a thing except from my own history.” He said hiding his face through embarrassment.

“Don’t you worry about it. I can teach you everything you need to know.” She said kindly winking at him.

Silas smiled at her.

“Why where you spying on the Black Neon?” she asked.

Silas had had a feeling that she was going to ask him about his obsession of the Black Neon but he still became unsettled when she did.

“You already know.” He said simply.

“Revenge is a dangerous and dark road to follow. Without the light you could end up finding one too many bumps on the way.” She said gravely.

Silas remained silent for a period of time as he pondered her statement trying to make sense of it. He also noticed how quiet Chaz was. Something about the man seemed to make him want to run. The way he held himself as he walked was as if he was inviting a fight. There was no other word for it. He was intimidating.

Chaz noticed Silas observing him. He grinned at him showing rows of yellow teeth. Silas look away from him. April laughed quietly.

They travelled for over an hour in complete silence which annoyed Silas. It had also started to get colder due to the sun being behind them and the distant cliff.

“Cheer up. We will be there in another hour.” April said finally breaking the silence.

“Why are you always so cheerful?” he asked her.

“To annoy everyone.” Chaz muttered. If April heard him she pretended otherwise.

“When you have been alive as long as I have you see all the good things in life rather than all the negative.” She answered.

“And why has no one opposed the Queen?” he asked keen to keep the flow of the conversation going.

He had wondered about it since the night before, but he did not know when would have been the best time to ask. But because she was so cheerful he thought he would risk the chance even if he had to put up with a string of abuse by offending her.

“Ah, people have challenged her, but no one has ever succeeded. The corpses would be seen floating down the sea turning it red.” She said as quiet as a whisper.

“So she’s unstoppable?” he asked.

“No, no one is. Everyone has a weakness.” Chaz said. “She just seems to be stronger than an army”

This confused Silas even more. It did not answer his question but rather gave him a load more of questions to ask.

“So why has no one stopped her?”

“She’s a powerful witch with plenty of sources at her disposal available to her.” Chaz replied.

Silas looked at him with disbelief in his eyes.

“A witch!” he snarled.

“Have you not heard tell about the witches and magic?” April asked curiously.

Silas thought about it. He had in fact heard his parents talk about magic a very long time ago.

“Only briefly. I know they are evil.” He replied.

“Oh, is that so is it. Do you think that all witches are evil then?” she asked. She seemed curious about his opinion.

“Aye, I suppose I do.”

She sighed and for the first time she did not seem her usual cheerful self. She shook her head and then stared at Silas studying him as they walked.

“I am going to need to educate you properly I see.” She said.

“Why?” Silas said.

“For your own safety if nothing else.” Chaz said.

They fell silent again. Silas spent a good amount of time trying to make sense of everything they spoke about. HE could not make any head way with it so he decided to look around him.

The landscape was still more or less the same. The only difference was a path was visible now leading to the village which they walking upon.

After three quarters of an hour the small road slanted upwards.

“Reta is on the other side of the hill.” Chaz said.

Suppressing a sigh, Silas followed Chaz and April up the hill. It took almost a full half hour to reach the top, by which time Silas was out of breath. The other two seemed perfectly fine too him. He wondered what their secret was.

He looked below him and saw the village of Reta below him.

It was very small. There were few houses and even fewer shops. It was a grim place to live Silas thought.

He looked at the villagers who could be seen rushing about doing their various chores. Silas also noticed a bunch of men sitting outside what could have only been a pub drinking and whistling at woman who passed by.

“This place looks bad.” He said to his companions.

“That it is.” April said as she led the way back down the hill to the village.

They entered the village and looked around. Silas noticed how each individual he saw all had the same expression on their face; fear.

They located a small stable where a very hairy stout man was tending to a chocolate brown horse. He looked up at them.

“How can I help you?” he said his voice deep and husky.

“We are looking to buy horses and provisions.” She said.

“Well you have come to the right place my fair lady. I take it you will be purchasing three sets?” the man asked as he surveyed Silas and Chaz.

“Aye please.” She said.

The man left them standing in the stable for several minutes before returning with three horses each outfitted with provisions. Chaz paid the man and the three of them walked away.

“Let’s have a drink.” April said eyeing the small pub.

They walked over to the pub and tied the horses to a fence. Silas and Chaz sat down on seats beside the group of the men while April marched inside to purchase drinks. She soon returned with two bottles of dark wine and three glasses.

They sat watching the villagers for a while as they drank. They were quiet for a time when Silas spoke.

“Why are they all so afraid?” he asked.

Chaz and April shrugged their shoulders. One of the men from the table beside him leaned forward drunk and answered Silas.

“Sorry to interrupt but the Black Neon are on the move.” He said slowly and quietly so no one else could hear.

“What do you mean?” April asked just as quiet.

The old man showed no attention to April. He kept his drunken gaze on Silas as he spoke.

“There is something going on in the village two days from here. No one knows what but most the villagers you see here are in fact from there.”

“Why?” Silas asked.

“It is said the Black Neon’s burnt the village down to take control of it. So rumour has it anyway.”

Silas looked away from the drunk and looked at Chaz and April and saw that their faces were etched with worry.

“What’s the rumour about their plans friend?” Chaz asked.

“I thought you wouldn’t ask.” The drunk said cockily. “Rumour has it that there searching for someone. The Queen sent them not to kill but to capture and obtain. So far to my knowledge they haven’t been successful.”

The three of them finished their drinks and thanked the drunk for the gossip. They untied their horses and mounted them.

“Time to leave.” Chaz said.

Silas looked at April who was rolling her eyes. It was quite obvious they were leaving Silas thought.

They left the village slowly and entered the dry landscape again. Ahead of them where thousands of mountains. To the sides was nothing but flat land for miles.

“We’ll have to travel carefully.” April said.

Chaz grunted in agreement as he nodded his head.

“What is it the Black Neon’s are looking for?” Silas asked.

“The question is not it, it’s who for a start.” April said. “And I’m afraid to say but they are looking for you.”

Silas looked at her shock.

“Why?” was all he managed to say.

“I don’t know.” She said but Silas suspected that she did know.

“No need to worry we won’t let them get you.” April said soothingly.

Worry and dread filled Silas as he realised that he was a wanted man. Everybody wanted him for something he did not know. He was determined not be enslaved against his own free will.

© Copyright 2012 johnnicholson1990 (madjohnboi1990 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1906559-Vlandimer-The-Curse-of-the-Grey-Folk