*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909034-A-Mothers-Wisdom
by OOT™
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest · #1909034
Written for Daily Flash Fiction. Prompt: use the words "flip," "kick," and "rope."
Matt had just had a horrible argument with his mother and left his house in a huff. Since he turned sixteen, it seemed that she was just looking for reasons to become angry at him. With no particular destination in mind, he wandered to the local park. His friend, Bobby, was sitting on a bench, idly tying knots in a thin rope. He looked up as Matt approached.

"Who pissed in your Cheerios?" Bobby sure had a way with words.

"Another argument with my mom. I don't know if I can stand this for two more years!" Matt plopped down on the bench beside Bobby with a frustrated sigh.

"Well, we could always teach her a lesson." Bobby smiled mischievously.

"Like, how?"

"Well, we could slip up behind her, and..." Bobby pulled the rope taut.

"Are you crazy?! Why the hell would you even say something like that?" Matt looked at him in disgust.

Bobby jumped up from the bench. "Don't flip out, man! I was only kidding. I figured you'd get a kick out of it."

Matt glared at him and, without another word, Bobby walked away.

Matt sat there for a few more minutes, recalling the bitter words he exchanged with his mother. Why had the argument even started? Oh, yeah, she had questioned his choice of friends, especially Bobby, whom she believed exhibited a potential to be evil. She had warned Matt to be careful around him. With one last look at the rope Bobby had left on the bench in his haste to leave, Matt got up and started home, intent on being more mindful of his mother's warnings.

273 words
© Copyright 2012 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909034-A-Mothers-Wisdom