*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909265-The-Belirocean-Chronicles-Chapter-112
by glaedr
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1909265
The next part of Alasar's story. Please rate it!!!
“The only tools necessary to a geomancer’s success are the magician’s memory, and the geomancy book.”
Anara lifted her arms into the air, and wove her fingers together. A large boulder rose into the sky, and broke apart, swirling around and around. Small stones joined the frenzied rush in the sky, and molded together to form a book. The book of rocks flew into Alasar’s hands, and he stared at it, confused.
“This is a rock,” He said.
“Of course it’s a rock!” Anara cried. “It’s a rock that has every spell that I have ever learned, seen, heard, or used inside of it!”
“How is this going to help me?”
“You’re an idiot! Look at its shape! It is a book! Made from rocks! Could Ledar have picked anyone more stupid than you to do whatever you’re doing?!”
Alasar cautiously opened the rock book. He gasped in wonder. Every single page was made of volcanic obsidian, and ink made from the purest gold flowed its way into words and translations. Such a book would be worth ten years- no, thirty years of an elf’s pay on Belirocea.
“It’s made out of rocks. And geomancers can control anything made out of rocks. Therefore, I can also do this,” Anara said, flapping her hand over.
The Geomancy Book slammed shut on to Alasar’s fingers. Wincing in pain, Alasar shook his hands.
“Okay. First thing’s first. The magic needs to be imprinted into you. The best way for you to do that is to cast the simplest spell in the book. Here, that would be rolling a stone in the direction you want it to roll in. Now, look for the translation.”
Alasar opened the book again.
‘Roll... roll...’
It took him ten minutes to find the the spell.
“Reilr!” He commanded.
Suddenly, Alasar’s feet flew out from under him. He rolled all over the arena, and Anara burst into laughter.
“Turat!” She gasped out.
Alasar went flat on the ground.
‘She knew that was going to happen,’ Elagaen accused.
“You knew I was going to do that!” Alasar gasped in humiliation.
“Yes I did,” Anara admitted. “That is the same spell I started with. But I didn’t roll as much as you did,” she added, laughing like crazy.
‘Hmm... What about ‘Reilr tel teirra?’’ Elagaen asked.
“Reilr tel teirra? ” Alasar repeated.
The spell hit Anara like a brick. Immediately, she went rolling.
“T-tu-turat ...” Anara cough out.
‘Well, she had it coming anyways,’ Elagaen grinned maniacally.
“Palat tel decagoe !” Anara snarled.
A wall of rock rose up, and swatted Elagaen out of the sky. Alasar screamed in pain as the bones in the dragon’s left wing shattered.
“Watch what you say beast!” Anara growled.
“You... Ela- the wall- Elagaen!” Alasar screamed.
‘My wing...’ Elagaen whimpered.
“He’ll live. Now, do the spell correctly,” Anara spat.
“Reilr tel teirra!” Alasar bellowed, pointing at Anara with his right hand.
“Turat,” Anara hissed. The spells fizzled out.
‘Alasar, just do the spell. We’ll take her later,’ Elagaen said.
Alasar sighed.
“Reilr te teirra ni te goris ot te ile ,” He read.
The rock rolled out to the left.
“Good. And now roll it to the right.”
“Reilr tel teirra ni te goris ot te ire,” Alasar reluctantly obliged.
The rock gently rolled to the right.
“Excellent. Teirrae un Elagaene ile wir, berus weit su wel ot bih ,” Anara chanted.
Elagaen gasped in pain, as his broken bones repaired themselves.
“Remember that spell Alasar. It is one of the most important spells in Geomancy. Now, the fact that I can manipulate a dragon’s wing, and roll an elf tells you what?”
“That you could break an elf’s neck if you wanted to?” Alasar offered.
“No!” Anara cried, sickened. “I never even thought of anything that horrible before!”
“That geomancers are as powerful as any other magician?”
“No! You’re an idiot! It means that dragons and elves are creatures of the rocks!” Anara exclaimed, frustrated. “That means that you must be extremely specific about any words you say. And a major warning. Never try to use an enemy’s thoughts against him.For example, if you had said, ‘Roll the stone Anara wants rolled’, you would have gone rolling into the arena wall, and would probably have broken your neck,” Anara added, lecturing the elf.
Alasar’s stomach roared in hunger.
“Can we go get some food please Anara?” Alasar asked.
“Nope. It’s only an hour past the early sun. Lunch isn’t for another two hours. You should have gotten up you you were told to.”
‘What a jerk!’ Elagaen hissed at Anara’s turned back.
Anara turned towards Alasar, and swiped her finger from the Geomancy Book to herself. The heavy book flew from Alasar’s arms and landed neatly in Anara’s grasp.
“Things have gone way too slowly. We need to speed things up here. This is the most effective way to find what you need in this book.”
Anara held the book up to her lips, and hissed, “Movements for silent castings.” Then she opened the book at random.
“Study this, and then roll a ball without words.”
Alasar took the book from Anara, fully expecting to have to flip through the pages to find the right section. Wrong.
Alasar stared at the page of motions in front of him. “How did you do that?” He demanded.
“It only works with the branch you have imprinted into your body,” Anara avoided the question.
Alasar read the directions. Then he stood up from the ground.
‘Clear mind, think about nothing but the ball...’
Alasar relaxed his body, and concentrated completely on the rock ball he had so recently rolled. He held out his arm towards the rock, and it suddenly flew into his hand.
“Slow down boy,” Anara growled. “One thing at a time.”
Alasar dropped the ball, stepped away from it, and brought his arm back behind his body, curved. Then, with a quick snap of his arm, Alasar swung his left hand forward. The ball went speeding across the ground, towards the arena wall. It collided with the wall, and a sharp crack echoed throughout the arena.
“Dang it! You had to break the wall! Idiot! Kasil will have my head for that!” Anara cried.
Elagaen laughed quietly.
“That’s enough for now, I guess,” Anara sighed. “But, tomorrow, you better be down here on time, and you better be working on building a wall silently!”
Alasar tore out of the arena, with Elagaen hot on his tail. They sprinted to the house, and into the kitchen.
“Hello!” An elf said, shocked at the sudden appearance of the dragon.
“May I have some food please?” Alasar gasped out.
“Sure! Would the dragon like something as well?”
‘No. I’ll go get some worms,’ Elagaen replied.
“No, he’s fine,” Alasar passed on.
“Well then, here you go. Try not to be late tomorrow. Anara isn’t really the forgiving type. She told us to have breakfast for you at thirty minutes before dawn, and if you are late tomorrow, you will have to wait until lunch. Her orders,” The elf said, handing a small loaf of bread to the Rider.
“Thanks!” Alasar said happily. He ran out of the kitchen.
“You’re welcome,” The elf said to his back.
Alasar went to a snowless patch of dirt under a large tree. He took a bite of the bread, and a large ball of snow landed on his head.
“What the-?” He gasped in shock.
Lesina dropped to the ground beside him.
‘Isn’t it a bit early for lunch?’ She asked, pinching a chunk of bread off of the loaf in Alasar’s hands.
“Your mom wouldn’t let me eat,” Alasar explained.
‘Ooooh! You were late, weren’t you?!’ Lesina cried.
“Yep,” Alasar said.
‘Alasar, I know my mom. She is going to pile a huge workload on you, and I’ll never be able to see you. Why did you have to train under her? I don’t care about the rocks, but we could have hired a different teacher for you!’ Lesina said.
“If we hired a different geomancer, then what would stop my mom from dragging me back to the Empire, and my dad, the Emperor?” Alasar shuddered theatrically at the word emperor.
Lesina giggled at the Rider. Then, they fell silent, each content to just enjoy the presence of the other.
“Lesina, I just thought about something,” Alasar said a few minutes later.
‘What’s that?’ Lesina asked happily.
“In a few centuries, Riders will be common, and they will have their pick of girls drooling over them...”
‘Or guys, for the girl Rider,’ Lesina added.
“But no one will love each other more than I love you Lesina,” Alasar sighed.
‘You know, my mom would probably have a heart attack if she could hear us right now,’ Lesina said.
“I beg to differ. She would bury me alive, and then she’d have a heart attack.”
‘That’s probably true,’ Lesina laughed.
‘Alasar, must you be with her all the time now?’ Elagaen groaned.
“Hey! What’s your problem with my friends Elagaen?!” Alasar cried, smacking the dragon’s nose.
‘What’s wrong with him?’ Lesina asked curiously.
“He’s still upset about yesterday,” Alasar explained.
‘My problem is that Anara gave us homework that we need to work on if we don’t want to-’
“Aw, forget about Anara!” Alasar leaned back against the tree, his eyes half closed. “Who cares about what she wants me to do? It’s probably just another way to keep me-”
“-away from my daughter?”
Alasar’s eyes flew open in shock. Anara was standing over them, glaring.
Lesina leaped up, and her hands began flying into a greeting. Her mind, however, was speeding a different way.
‘Ki Tesa Ledar! Why is she here? Forget the why! How much did she hear?’
“Quit the charades girl!” Anara snarled. “I want to know exactly what you two were up to!”
“Anara-”
“Silence!”
Elagaen landed behind Anara, looking smugly at the teens. Suddenly, everything clicked into place for Alasar.
“You little-” Alasar lunged at the dragon in fury.
Anara flicked a finger, and a large stone smacked Alasar’s face. Behind her, Elagaen squirmed in discomfort.
“Enough! What were you doing with my daughter?” Anara snapped, as Alasar broke off his attack to stop the blood flowing down his face.
“Nothing! We were just talking!” Alasar cried.
“Just go!” Anara hissed.
Alasar ran away from the enraged mother. He sprinted to his room, and locked himself inside.
‘Alasar, I did warn you,’ Elagaen said, entering through the window.
“Elagaen, just get away from me,” Alasar moaned.
‘She’s not good for you Alasar,’ Elagaen continued.
“Get out of here!” Alasar roared, attacking Elagaen. “I don’t want you in here, you traitor!”
Elagaen leaped out of the window, and plummeted towards the ground. Alasar threw himself onto his bed, crying bitterly.
An hour later, Barasila knocked on her son’s door.
“Alasar, it’s time for lunch,” She called.
“Go away!” Alasar shouted.
“Alasar, you need to unlock this door,” Barasila said.
“No!”
Barasila took a deep breath.
‘I’m getting too old for this kind of thing,’ She thought.
“Ailasu,” Barasila murmured.
The lock on the door clicked quietly, and Barasila silently opened the door.
“Alasar, what’s wrong?” She asked.
“Leave me alone!”
Barasila crossed the room, and sat down next to her son.
“Alasar, I want to help you.”
“That’s what Elagaen was going to do before he betrayed me!” Alasar yelled into the mattress.
“What did he do?” Barasila asked gently.
“He told Anara that Lesina and I were together!”
“And why is that bad?”
“Anara hates me Mom! She-”
“Alasar, I’m sure she doesn’t hate you.”
“She won’t let me near Lesina now!” Alasar screamed.
“Why not?” Barasila asked.
“She knows that I will be leaving soon, and she thinks that I will just forget about Lesina and fall in love with someone else!”
“You’re in love!” Barasila laughed despite herself.
Alasar glared furiously at his mother.
“I’m sorry. This isn’t a laughing matter,” Barasila apologized. “I’ll talk to Anara about it later. But, for now, you need to come down with me.”
They went into the dining room. Alasar glanced around, and saw Lesina sitting next to Tanelo. The seat of her left was open.
‘Alasar, don’t,’ Elagaen groaned, as Alasar walked straight for Lesina.
Anara leaped at the chair. “I’m sorry, but this seat is taken,” She grinned.
Alasar spun around, and stormed to a seat at the far end of the table.
‘Ki Tesa Ledar! I want to just squeeze her mind into mush!’ He screamed mentally.
‘Alasar, relax! I’m sure we can work something out!’ Lesina soothed.
‘Not with Elagaen running free,’ Alasar growled, glaring murderously at the dragon.
‘You two won’t be doing anything,’ Elagaen swore.
“So, Elagaen, how many worms did Anara promise you for keeping us apart?” Alasar asked out loud.
‘A- yo-w-’
Elagaen suddenly burst out of the room, mentally destroyed by Alasar’s betrayal of their secret.
“Alasar! What on Alesranet was that all about?!” Kasil asked.
“Why don’t you ask your wife, Kasil? I’m sure she’s just dying to tell you anyways!”
“Alasar!” Barasila gasped in shock.
‘What is going on here Alasar?’ Lesina demanded.
Alasar looked around the room. Everyone was staring at him. Even Tanelo was watching him.
“I’m sorry everyone! I have to go now!” Tanelo suddenly gasped out.
Not even waiting for an answer, the elf shoved back his chair, and sprinted from the room.
“What was that all about?” Anara asked.
“I guess I should go find out,” Alasar excused himself.
He turned, and fled from the gazes of the other elves.
Alasar followed Tanelo to his room, and heard the door lock shut. He approached the door, and tried to look through the keyhole. Something was covering the other side.
Thinking frantically, Alasar remembered a softly spoken command used earlier.
“Ailasu,” He murmured. The lock clicked open, and Alasar wrenched the bedroom door open.
Tanelo was sitting on the floor, his right hand on a dragon’s egg. As Alasar watched, the egg cracked.
‘Alasar, turn away!’ Ledar hissed in warning.
A speck of dust landed in one of Alasar’s eyes, but he stubbornly refused to blink.
The egg broke open, and the first thing the newborn dragon saw was Alasar’s face.
Immediately, Alasar’s face imprinted itself into the dragon’s mind, as an enemy of the two partners.
Tanelo spun towards the open door.
‘You!’ He yelled in his head.
Alasar fell backwards from the force of Tanelo’s cry. He turned around, and ran from the room.
Mission accomplished, I guess, he thought.
Alasar skirted around the dining room. He had no desire to see Anara again. Instead, he went to the arena. Elagaen was right. He needed to get to work.
Two weeks passed without the slightest incident. Tanelo’s dragon, Stelane, was accepted into the family without a single problem; although, when Elagaen tried to make friends with her, she tried to attack him for some reason.
Alasar didn’t see Lesina at all during the two weeks. Anara kept him working from sunup to sundown, skipping lunch, eating dinner late, and seeing little of the house’s population during the day. As a result, Alasar quickly exelled at Geomancy. But his personal life took a heavy blow.
Finally, Barasila left for the Ledarnian Empire. Tanelo went with her, instead of staying in the Free States like Rijon had planned. For that reason, Alasar had to speak to his mom.
Since the required apprentice time for a magician was two years, Alasar would not see his mother again until he had become a Geomancer. Therefore, Anara felt that it was necessary to grant Alasar a reprieve from magic on the day of Barasila’s leaving.
So, on the day that Barasila would be leaving Alasar, Alasar was able to see Lesina again.
Barasila went down to the docks, to make sure the ship that would take her home was loaded with everything they needed to sail around Ledarnia. Alasar followed her. This would be the only chance he would get to warn her about Tanelo.
“Mom, I need to tell you something,” He began.
“What Alasar? What’s wrong?” Barasila anxiously turned to face her son.
“Mom, do you remember that poison attempt?”
“Yes,” Barasila said uncertainly.
“I know who did it,” Alasar admitted.
“What?!”
“I- I-”
Suddenly, it all came out. Alasar told his mother about meeting Tanelo for the first time, and narrowly escaping with his life from the arena. He told her the truth about the two dragons, and about the real reason for learning geomancy.
“Alasar? Are you okay?” Barasila asked cautiously.
“Mom, Tanelo tried to kill our family last month! I’m not worried about my self! I’m worried about you! You’re the one who will be stuck with him for a month at sea! If he kills you, no one will know about it until landfall!” Alasar screamed in frustration.
“And you say he can use his mind to attack people with?”
“Yes! I don’t know if he realizes it or not, but he can! He can also read minds, and he can communicate with other Riders mentally!”
“Okay then. I’ll be careful. I’ll make sure I keep tanelo within an arm’s reach.”
‘This just proves that Rijon was right to kill Tacael. Whatever guilt I’ve been feeling is way out of place,’ Barasila thought.
“No Mom. Whatever happened between you and Tacael was not how he really was. That was a mistake, or something. Tacael-”
“Oh, it was no mistake,” Barasila contradicted. “He executed my family. My parents I wouldn’t worry about too much; they were jerks. I know that seems horrible to you, but I still believe it. Especially after they begged Tacael to take me instead of themselves. No, I wouldn’t have cared if it was just them. But Tacael also took Ryan from me. That is something I could never forgive.”
“Still, I don’t believe it was anything personal. It sounds like he was in the service of the Army. He really didn’t have a choice,” Alasar protested.
“Oh, I know he had no choice. But he didn’t handle it with any kind of sorrow. He laughed at me when I tried to stop him.”
Alasar was confused. That did not sound like the Tacael he had known. He turned away, and wandered mindlessly away, thinking about what he had just learned.
‘Alasar!’ Lesina cried in excitement.
‘What’s up Lesina? How’s life been treating you?’
‘Horrid! I haven’t seen you in weeks!’ Lesina complained, throwing herself into Alasar’s arms. They kissed, and once again, Elagaen broke the pair up.
‘Alasar! What did you not understand about the last time Anara found you two like this?!’ He screamed.
Anara doesn’t like him either?! Sweet!
Tanelo’s mind-voice cut into Alasar’s mind.
“Tanelo!” Alasar hissed under his breath.
‘Alasar, I think that maybe my mom would let you spend more time with me if you would just talk to her. Or to Dad. He might take it a bit better.’
“Lesina, I seriously doubt that Anara would even begin to talk to me about you. She hates me. Haven’t you noticed that we haven’t had a single second together for at least fourteen days?” Alasar countered.
Lesina stared at Alasar for a few minutes before answering.
‘Alasar, we aren’t really going about this in the right manner. We should have talked to our parents on the first day. Or, at least you should have. I can’t really have a long conversation with anyone besides you.’
“I’ll talk to Anara tomorrow morning. But, the two of us can try your father today,” Alasar suggested.
‘I think that you should be the one who talks to Dad Alasar. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to be done?’
“Not if you are a Rider who’s scared out of his skin at the idea,” Alasar admitted quietly.
‘I know how that feels,’ Lesina replied. ‘I guess I can go with you.’
They stood up, and went to the house.
Kasil was in the stables for the horses. He turned towards Alasar when he entered the barn alone.
“Alasar! I thought you went with you mother! What can I do for you my boy?” Kasil cried brightly.
“I need to talk to you about Lesina,” Alasar began shakily.
“What about her?” Kasil’s voice was suddenly guarded.
‘You’re doing fine Alasar,’ Lesina called.
“I-” Alasar choked on the words he had planned to say. Ki Tesa Ledar! Why did this always happen to him?!
“I already know you like her more than just a friend, Alasar. That’s a bit obvious. But you’re probably just like the other boys. You think about her looks, and nothing else, right?” Kasil accused.
“No! I-I mean, yeah, I did, at first. But then I got to know her. So far, I’ve spent-”
“-a month in all, with a mute girl. I seriously doubt you can even communicate with each other!” Kasil interrupted.
“We can talk with each other,” Alasar rebounded.
‘Alasar, I’ve never told anyone about this, but I’m sure Dad would love to know why-’
“She told me about the first day of school. Lesina came running into the house, screaming with a major headache. She couldn’t stop the voices in her head, and there were too many of them. At the time, you didn’t know about her talent, although you figured it out earlier. Lesina said that she had too many noisy friends, and she didn’t tell you the real reason, because she was afraid that you would think she was crazy.”
Kasil stared at Alasar. “How do you know that? When- how did she tell you?” He demanded.
“We figured out a system,” Alasar said nonchalantly.
“But, Anara doesn’t like the idea of you two being alone together.”
“We aren’t alone. Elagaen is there with us!”
“He’s friends with you! He’ll do anything for you!” Kasil protested.
“Actually, he’s the one who brought us to Anara’s attention,” Alasar revealed.
“Really?” Kasil asked. “He did?”
“Yep. That’s why I was so angry at him that one day.”
“Oh. Well, in that case, I guess it would be alright, as long as Elagaen was with you. I mean, how much would he let by?” Kasil muttered to himself. “I’ll talk to Anara about it,” He said a bit louder.
“Thank you sir,” Alasar breathed.
Around noon, everyone gathered at the docks, waving to Barasila as her ship departed. For Alasar, the parting was full of anxiety.
‘What if Tanelo does go after her? What if she tells Dad about me and Lesina? What will he say about Elagaen? What will he think about me st-’
‘Alasar, you worry too much. I heard from a good source that the Lady Barasila can protect herself quite well,’ Lesina said.
“But-”
‘Alasar, she will be fine. Ledar will let you see your mom again, for one last goodbye,’ Elagaen disclosed to his distraught Rider.
“A FINAL-”
Alasar passed out right there on the docks.
An hour later, Alasar regained consciousness. Lesina, Anara, and Kasil were all standing around the bed Alasar was lying on. But, as soon as he was awake, Elagaen ran the others out of the room.
“Out! I need to speak with him alone!” He roared verbally at the elves. They all retreated from the room.
‘I didn’t think you would take the news like that,’ Elagaen cried unhappily.
‘You mean the news that I would return home just in time for the funeral!?’ Alasar yelled at the dragon.
‘Funeral?! What funeral?! I said nothing about a funeral!’
‘Then what was all that about? ‘Ledar will let you see your mom one last time’? What was that?’ Alasar snarled.
Elagaen was silent for a minute. Finally, he spoke.
‘I was referring to Ledar’s first mission for us. Two years from now, we will leave Ledarnia forever. We will head for the Belirocean city of Te Ceta pei Draconia. There we will set up a base that will be hidden for 100 years. Riders will use the building we set up to launch scouts to find other Rider’s from.’
‘But I’ll never come back? I’ll never see Mom, or Dad? Or Lesina?!’ Alasar sobbed.
‘Now do you see why I told you not to mess with Anara’s daughter Alasar?’ Elagaen said, with a hint of smugness in his voice.
‘WHAT?!! You’re leaving?!!’
Lesina broke into the room. She leaped at Alasar, as if she was going to throttle him. Which, as Alasar could tell from her thoughts, was exactly what she intended to do.
Elagaen knocked the girl away from Alasar, and put himself between the two of them, growling harshly at Lesina. But Lesina had eyes only for the boy she had loved and so, so, recently won.
‘You didn’t tell me you were leaving! How dare you raise my spirits only to crush them like this!’ She bellowed.
“Lesina, I didn’t know until Elagaen told me a minute ago! If even that long!” Alasar cried out loud.
‘You should have never come back!’
Lesina spun around and stormed out of the room, shoving past her bewildered parents.
“What in Ledar’s blessed name was that all about?” Anara exclaimed.
“She was wrong. This isn’t a blessing. This burden is too much for me to carry!” Alasar cried. “Ledar sailvi tes su!”
Anara and Kasil both gasped in shock as Alasar cursed the goddess.
‘Alasar, stop that!’ Elagaen roared.
“Or what? What are you going to do about it little dragon? You gonna bite me? Go on! Just try it!” Alasar screamed, venting all of his sorrow and his anger at the dragon.
Kasil grabbed Alasar, and dragged him out of the room. He dragged the screaming boy out of the house, and towards the arena.
“Alasar! Alasar! Listen to me!” Kasil yelled. “You need to calm down!”
A rock flew past Kasil’s face, and suddenly he was transported back to the days when he was courting Anara. The Geomancer hadn’t liked him much at all, and rocks had often flown around him then as well.
“Alasar, I want you to stay here until you’re calm again!” Kasil yelled, pulling himself out of his memories with an effort. He ducked as the novice Geomancer sent a heavy stone at his head.
Alasar’s mind was in turmoil. He was remembering everything about Lesina. Seeing her for the first time, Accidentally seeing her bathing in that creek, Being overjoyed when he realized they could communicate silently. And now this. Being torn away from Lesina like one might tear a sticker from it’s backing.
But that wouldn’t happen. No, Alasar wouldn’t be used like that. He would fight the hand that would tear him in half.
Alasar took a deep breath, and set about making a maze of rocks about five feet tall. Then he stepped back, and began bringing small pebbles from the ground.
He lifted a rock up silently, and sent it flying faster than the blink of an eye. It flew through a rock target with a satisfying explosion.
Bits of shattered rock whizzed randomly throughout the air. Before the last shard landed, another rock was zooming at the second target.
Alasar kept destroying the rocks, and his anger at the world slowly bled out of him.
Kasil watched Alasar from a distance. As the Rider calmed down, Kasil risked a venture out of his area of safety.
“It’s okay Kasil! I won’t bite you,” Alasar called to him.
Kasil cautiously approached Alasar, and asked, “Do you mind telling me what that was all about?”
“I’d rather not. It’s confusing, even at its best,” Alasar replied.
‘Elagaen!’
‘What?’ The dragon hissed sourly.
‘Aw come on Elagaen! Don’t be like that!’
‘Will you please figure out whether you want to be happy?’ Elagaen snapped. ‘I’ve had enough of your random mood swings!’
‘Elagaen, I am sorry. You were right. I should never have told Lesina how I felt about her. Will you accept my apology, and get your scaly tail down here so we can get out of this place as soon as possible?’
‘Finally you see sense,’ Elagaen snorted, landing next to his Rider.
Kasil watched in amazement as the teen who had just been cursing the world calmly sat next to the dragon he had attacked, pulled out a thick book, and began reading.
‘She wanted the creation of a rock guard. I’m thinking that means elvian,’ Alasar said.
‘Probably. I mean, how else could that work?’
“Wait! I just found something!” Alasar cried out loud.
Kasil turned towards Alasar from the arena’s entrance. The boy wasn’t talking to him! Who was he talking to?!
“We can manipulate elves, right?”
‘Yes...’
“We can trap them inside rocks! Or, at least we can trap their minds in a rock?” Alasar suggested.
‘I know exactly who to try it on first!’ Elagaen cackled.
‘No!’ Alasar hissed. ‘I will never do that to her! In fact, we’re never going to mention her again, are we?’
Elagaen stayed silent, adopting a thoughtful pose.
‘Are we?’ Alasar repeated forcefully.
‘No, I guess not,’ Elagaen sighed wistfully.
“Good,” Alasar said out loud again. “If you do, I will learn that spell Anara used on you, and send a diamond wall into your face so hard that your snout will become a small hole in your head!”
‘Oooh! Scary! Just wondering, how would you deal with the pain in your nose?’ Elagaen countered.
Alasar thought for a second.
‘How dare you bring up something as trivial as the bond in your defense?! Never mind. Let’s just drop the whole thing on the fact that neither of us will mention she who must not be named again.’
‘Fine by me. But who will you practice the trapping spell with then?’ Elagaen asked.
‘How about you?’ Alasar joked.
‘Yeah... No thanks. I’d rather not end my life as a pile of rocks.’
‘Well, I’d need to talk to Anara about it anyways,’ Alasar said offhandedly.
‘Well then, I guess that we should get to work then,’ Elagaen said.
“Teirrae pie te ead, fero ul eliv su perate Alasar fore tisd enamue! ”Alasar murmured.
A hole burst open in the ground in front of the two, and a humanoid figure emerged from the depths of Alesranet. Alasar admired his workmanship for a moment, before he was forced to release the spell, from loss of energy.
‘Alasar!’ Elagaen suddenly exclaimed. ‘What if the rocks could breathe air?!’
‘What?’ Alasar said, confused.
‘Try this! Teirrae pie te ead, fero ul eliv su perate Alasar fore tisd enamue!’
“Eliv Alasar feroa, wi susa fore te ira!” Alasar cried, finishing the spell.
The rock figure burst from the ground, and Alasar felt a slight loss of energy, before the guard took its first breath of the natural energy of air. It could keep going on this energy source forever.
“Eliv feroa ny Alasar! Ritu fore wir fe cime!” Anara screamed, exploding into the arena.
The rocks crumbled back into dust. Alasar and Elagaen both gulped in large breaths of air.
“You idiots! That thing uses up more air than Ledar could possibly supply!” Anara bellowed, shoving Alasar into the ground.
“Anara! He couldn’t possibly realize that!” Kasil appeared from the entrance again, and rushed to Alasar’s defense.
“He knows the rules! All spells must be approved by me!” Anara spat.
“Anara, I’m sorry...” Alasar gasped. “Elagaen suggested it, and-”
“Oh, sure! Blame it on the dragon,” Elagaen roared.
“Both of you shut up, and listen to me!” Anara exploded. “You will never use magic outside of my presence! Now get out of here before you kill us all!”
Alasar ran to his bedroom, and locked himself in his room. He stayed in there until the next morning.
A loud tapping at his window woke Alasar up. He groggily stumbled to the window, and opened it.
‘What Elagaen?” he yawned.
‘I bring joyful news from she who must not be named!’ The dragon crowed.
Alasar’s heart sank. Lesina was dead. He should have known it was going to happen.
‘-says for you to meet her in the tree fortress!’
‘What?’ Alasar asked, not really listening to anything but his mournful heart.
‘Lesina wants to see you under the snowy tree! She says it’s urgent!’
Immediately, Alasar leaped from his room, and sprinted out of the house. He dashed out to the trees, and found Lesina sitting under their tree.
‘Alasar, I know I kind of screwed things up between the two of us, and I’m sorry. But I have decided that if Ledar decides to send you to wherever, without me knowing, that is our business, not just yours. So, I’ve decided to go with you when you leave.’
‘What?!’ Alasar exclaimed. ‘You’re coming with us?! You can’t! What about your parents?!’
‘What about them? They can’t control me forever! I think it’s way overdue! They have had more than their fair share of telling me what I can and cannot do!’
‘Lesina, you’re throwing away all hopes of a peaceful life! Surely you want to settle down, with an elf that you really and truly love, and have a peaceful family!’ Alasar protested.
‘Peace is boring,’ Lesina snorted. ‘And besides, I’m sure you will settle down somewhere too. You can’t just be running everywhere!’
‘Lesina, if we do settle down somewhere, it will be for no more than a week, if we’re lucky,’ Elagaen said quietly.
‘You don’t need to say anything to try to stop me Elagaen. Why don’t you run off to my mom, and tell her about what I’m planning?!’
‘I won’t do that again. Especially since you aren’t going, and I don’t want Anara to hate you for the things you are suggesting right now.’
‘Seriously, Lesina, you need to be reasonable-’
‘I am being reasonable Alasar Moonshine! I know that we have two years left, unless I go with you! I also know that if it was a choice between you staying here, and you going away, you would leave!’
‘Only because I don’t want to tear your family apart! Lesina, your parents have already lost their son to marriage! I don’t want them to lose their daughter in the same way!’ Alasar cried.
‘Lesina, I’m sure you’d be fine if we all abandoned the island right here and now, but how would you feel a year from now? What if the shock of your departure gave your mom a heart attack? Would you be able to live with yourself if you were the cause for their deaths?’
‘I would learn to live with my decisions. I mean, as soon as I set foot off of the island, it’s not like we’ll be coming back anyways,’ Lesina interrupted.
“Elagaen, we won’t be able to dissuade her from her path. She’s coming whether we like it or not,” Alasar sighed.
‘But I do have conditions. One, that we inform your parents of your decision immediately.’
‘Okay. Whatever,’ Lesina brushed off.
‘Two, that you learn to defend yourself with a sword. I’m sure Kasil would be happy to assist me with that.’
‘It’s a done deal!’ Lesina exclaimed happily.
‘Not yet,’ Alasar contradicted. ‘My third condition is that you marry me. If you died because of me, I- I just want everyone to know that it was your decision to come with me, and that it was because we love each other. It is not because I bought you out.’
‘It needs to be real, Alasar. I’d need something on your side to prove that you’ll do what you say you will,’ Lesina replied, after a few seconds of thought.
Alasar concentrated for a minute. He had never attempted this before.
‘Alasar! Remember what Anara-’
‘Screw Anara! It’s not like I am about to collapse a cave or something! Now shut up so I can concentrate!’
Alasar shaped the diamond with a few second of hard labor, and then he dug down even deeper into the soil, until he found a gold nugget. This he attached to the diamond, and then he brought the ring into his hands.
The diamonds sparkled in the dim light of the predawn sun, and the reflected brightness dazzled the three watchers.
“Lesina,” Alasar almost whispered. “Lesina, will you marry me?”
‘Yes,’ Lesina replied, subdued.
Alasar rose from his knees, and slid the precious ring onto Lesina’s finger. They kissed, and went back to the house. 
© Copyright 2012 glaedr (glaedr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909265-The-Belirocean-Chronicles-Chapter-112