*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909923-A-Christmas-Tree-Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1909923
Christmas Tree Angel tells her story
         My job is short just a few days a year most of the time I’m left in the attic forgotten.  Even when I’m doing my job few may even give me a thought as I sit here in my spot.  I’m a Christmas Tree Angel, I have lights that change colors when the electricity is turn on for the lights on the tree.

         This year I was honored by being  promoted to a Family Tradition, the daughter of my owners has the job of placing me on the top of the tree.  This year her father had to hold her up, to the tree, so she could set me in my spot.  In a few years time she will be able to reach the top of the tree all on her own. When she is grown with a family of her own I will be promoted to a Family Air Loom,  when her parents give me to her to sit on her family’s tree. 

         Not to be boastful but my team of ornaments that hang on the tree with me make this a beautiful tree.  Many of the ornaments are not just Family Air looms they are something called Antiques.  The father told the daughter that that means they are very old, made a long time ago before something called “The War” over a half century ago.

         Tonight my owners have decorated the tree with my team of ornaments, twinkling lights, and of course myself.  Under the tree is what the owners call a Crèche, little figurines of Mary, Joseph, and the Baby Jesus. 

         Soon Christmas Eve will be here.  After the daughter has gone to bed, the Father and Mother will put colorful packages, they call presents, under the tree.  Then on Christmas morning the daughter will tear the beautiful paper off the boxes reveling what is inside. 

         Oh how I love Christmas, but it also means we have just a few more days to work.  Than we are to be demoted from a Christmas tree, that every one smiles at and talks of how pretty we are, to just “That Thing”.  As in the question asked around January 2 “When are you taking that thing down?”

         I will be carefully placed back in my box, which will be placed in a bigger box with all the other ornaments and the lights then it is back to the attic for us till next year.  When we will adorn a different tree.

         I may not have had any chose of my occupation as I was made in a factory to be an Christmas Tree Angel. But I wouldn’t want to be anything else.  I’ve only heard of other holidays. Christmas and New Years are the only ones I’ve actually experienced.  I’m packed away and I sleep though Easter, the Fourth of July and I only get waken, by the move back down from the attic, just after Thanks given. 

         Right now I’m here proudly on the top of the tree.  I will serve my owners well for years to come.

         Merry Christmas 
© Copyright 2012 TMeakim (tmeakim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1909923-A-Christmas-Tree-Angel