*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911011-Dont-open-that-door
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1911011
My entry of 300 wds for 12/31 flash fiction contest.
Miss McGill surveyed the students that had joined her for after-school detention. There were only three of them today and all from the fifth grade class: Danny, Stanley and Cecil. Danny had been caught trying to scale the drain spout and Stanley and Cecil were in for their part in a spitball contest. The boys had all done detention time before but this was the first time with the reputedly whimsical Miss McGill.

After five minutes of silence, Miss McGill stood and said, “Boys, I have to run down to the office for a moment. No talking please, and whatever you do…. Don’t open that door.”

She motioned to the storage room door with a nod of her head and a stern gaze into each pair of eyes. With that, she left the room. The boys watched her leave and several seconds later they slowly, simultaneously, turned their heads toward the door. They beheld the door of mystery for a moment, then eyed each other.

Danny was the first to explode to his feet heading straight for the door. Cecil was on his feet next. “No, no, no!” he warned in a shrieked whisper. Stanley stayed where he was, watching saucer-eyed as Danny grabbed the doorknob, smiled back at the other two and gave it a twist.

It was just an old room full of books and chalk brushes. But on the floor at Danny’s feet there was a jar labelled: What I Know About You. Inside the jar was a note.

“Read it!” said Miss McGill from the doorway where she grinned triumphantly.

Danny winced – busted again. As directed, he unfolded the note.

It read:

‘You are a bold, adventurous, natural leader. You have also bought yourself another day of detention. I told you not to open that door!’
© Copyright 2012 DeeDoubleU (douglas_w at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1911011-Dont-open-that-door