*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1912589-Big-Teeth
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1912589
Would this be a new home for humans?
Chunky body, dark fur, short legs, flat tail, and very big teeth.  What should this thing be called?

Dad would help me to classify it back at the shelter pod, but he'd want a picture.  Five quick steps to hide behind a large orchid like plant.  Bent low to peek around the flowers and leaves.

There it was.  Got the picture, and some good news.  Those pointed incisors weren't for meaty meals.  They were used to chop down small trees, and then for pulling nuts and seeds off and into its mouth.  Probably healthier for the giant beaver, which it reminded me off, than fresh meat like me.

Transmitted the evidence of my find to the pod's work bench.  Dad and I shared the workload of classifying the flora and fauna of this newly discovered planet.  Ultimately, we'd make a recommendation on colonization.  Would it be safe for those who might follow us, as well as for the current inhabitants?

The Federation took its responsibility to native species seriously.  We'd avoid places dangerous for us, and places that we'd be dangerous for.  Looked like Mr. Buck Tooth wouldn't be an issue either way.  Wrong.

Dad and I decided that the animal's proper name should be "Castor Proctor", or more commonly Proctor Beaver, Proctor being the name given to this planet.  Good enough.

Then the water started rising around the pod.  As we took off to return to the Mother Ship, an unavoidable conclusion was reached.  Good old "Castor Proctor" and his numerous kin, liked to build dams, just like his look-a-likes back on Earth.  The dams created nice placid ponds for them.  And flooded the places humans like to build and grow food on.

Given the Federation's policies, it looked like Bucky could keep the place to himself.
© Copyright 2013 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1912589-Big-Teeth