*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913251-The-Seed
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Short Story · Cultural · #1913251
Authority conferred binds the Principle

In the shade of the great walnut tree, a king held council with his sons. The king beheld his oldest, a gifted young man, with pride and hope.

Midhe met his father's eyes as they moved on him in a short appraisal and then dismissed him as fast, only to rest on his youngest brother. Love and bewilderment shone in them and he knew his father would forgive his brother's latest mischief yet again.

He caught Danh’s understanding look then turned as the king pointed to a wooden post.

"You’ll find a similar pillar in your private quarters. Take these seeds, and the one who brings me the first blue orchid flower would be my heir."

Midhe's eyes sparkled and spotted Danh's enthusiastic grin. He ignored the disappointed look on his older brother's face and the bored sigh coming from his younger brother.

He rushed to his room where he closed the door with care. He handed the seed to a smiling Danh and beamed:

"If anyone could do this, it would be you, Danh."

Danh looked at the seed and frowned. Then with a smile that didn't fully reach her eyes said.

"Aye, you'd have what you wish."

As the days passed, he admired the rare vine climbing the wooden post. His younger brother grew gloomier, while his older one treated him with grudging wariness.

One day Danh presented him with the prized orchid, and he rushed to his father.

The king frowned, and his older brother mumbled.
"It’s pure luck."

The youngest blurted with visible embarrassment.
"Nothing ever came out of the blasted seed."

Midhe froze when his father placed the crown on his younger brother’s head. A bubble formed at the corner of his mouth as he tried to speak. 

Only Danh's guilty look stopped him.

© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913251-The-Seed