*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913618-Snow-Bite
Rated: · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1913618
Contest entry for Fairy Tales Revisited.
You may think you know the story, but 'twas not true love's kiss that returned Snow White to the waking world. In fact, it was the kiss of Death.

Death stalked the moonlit forest, silent as a shadow, senses alert for sounds of potential prey. As was only fitting, Death wore the face of an angel. Elsibeth was her name. Fair of face and slenderly built, she had the look of a child lost in the dark. Her nightly foray had taken her to a new hunting ground in the woods. As she crested a hill she came upon a clearing and a most unexpected sight. There was a large glass box laid round about with flowers. As she came closer Elsibeth saw that it was a coffin, and within was a young girl. Even in death, the maiden was compellingly beautiful, with hair like a raven's wing, ruby lips, and alabaster skin.

So being compelled, Elsibeth lifted the lid of the glass coffin. She was even further surprised to find that the girl was still living. She could hear the faint beating of her heart, feel the slight warmth still trapped within her skin.

With infinite care, Elsibeth lifted the girl's head from the satin pillow, brushed aside her silky tresses, and pulled back the high collar of her dress. She lowered her lips to the slender neck and gently bit down. She drank carefully, savoring the warmth and taste of the blood. Sweet! So sweet, so pure and intoxicating, it brought to mind memories of her long-ago first taste of wine. It would be far too easy to drain her to the last, savoring every delicious drop. But this girl, this vision of loveliness, was meant for a greater purpose. Elsibeth allowed herself a little more of the girl's blood, and then parted her lips. As she did so she realized there was something lodged in the girl's throat. She used her slender fingers to extract what looked like a piece of apple. There was something wrong with the smell. It reeked of dark magic. How many centuries had passed since the last time the ancient one had been so mystified, so curious about a mere human?

With a soft sound the girl awoke, a look of confusion in her large, dark eyes. It was immediately replaced by a look of terror.

" Not again!:" she cried, trying to scramble up out of the coffin. " Please don't hurt me. " Elsibeth placed her hand upon the girl's arm, stilling her struggles.

" I have not come to hurt you." Elsibeth murmured soothingly. " But tell me how you have come to be here."

And so the girl told her story. Elsibeth listened intently to the girl's recount of a happy childhood shattered by the loss of her beloved father, the cruelties inflicted by her step-mother which led to a murderous plot and the girl's escape to the woods. She heard of the temporary respite destroyed by a work of magic designed to trap the girl forever in the solitude of living death.

" I have no idea how long I have been trapped by the spell, only that it seemed to last for a long time." Snow White finished.

" And now? "

" Now.... I don't suppose I know what I will do now. I know that I cannot seek out my friends. I do not want to put them in harm's way. The queen will never stop. Somehow she will find out that I have escaped and she will come after me again. It seems that I must run, and that I must go on alone." Snow White began to cry quietly, covering her face with her delicate hands. Elsibeth drew her hands away from her face and held them in place in her lap.

" What if I told you there was another way? You would never again need to fear for your life. No more running and hiding. You could even reclaim your home if that is your wish. "

" You don't understand. The queen is very powerful, and she is ruthless. "

Elsibeth made a soft chuffing sound. " The queen's power is not truly hers. She may only control it for a time. But even so, it is not the only power known to mortals. There are greater powers, stronger than magic. Powers that cannot be touched by sorcery. "

" Can you teach me these things? " Snow White asked.

" I can bestow upon you a gift, and I can show you how to use it. But you must know that with this gift there comes a price. And once done, it cannot be undone. "

Snow White was silent for a long moment, head bowed in thought. Finally she raised her eyes to Elsibeth's.

" Show me. " she said.

A short time later they stood together upon the hill. Snow White drank in the sounds and smells of the forest with her newly awakened senses. She almost glowed in the moonlight, the perfect paleness of her skin seeming to reflect the silvery light. Elsibeth grasped her hand as she asked " Are you ready? "

" Yes. " she answered evenly. " It has been a long time. "

Together they descended the hill, and Snow White began the journey home. -



Word count: 868

Submitted to #1561205
© Copyright 2013 poolplayerlady (poolplayerlady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913618-Snow-Bite