*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913979-Tender-Mercies
Rated: E · Other · Inspirational · #1913979
Devotional: Acceptance, Grace and Love
Tender Mercies



With age, I find that many things change. I use to be a morning person, getting up at dawn jumping out of the bed with energy I didn’t even know existed, and going through the day feeling like I needed even more to take on. Now waking up takes time. No more morning person here!



I wake each day with a routine. Like clock work my miniature dachund, Oscar, nuzzles the back of my neck and whines until I wake. Still half sleeping, I roll over on my back and my right hand bends upward to pet him. He whines and inches his way down, placing his front feet on my upper chest and proceeds to kiss me. I can turn my face but he will pull himself up stretching to get me every time so I have learned not to fight. Instead, I snuggle his neck and chest, smooching on him calling him ma ma’s boy until he gives me one last whine and contentedly bounces to the foot of the bed.



He sits impatiently, stretching and noisily yawning, sometimes dropping down on his tummy pulling himself forward by his front feet, without ever taking his eyes off me. I lay quietly, lazily awakening keeping one eye on him as well, for he has been known to pounce quickly back up on my chest to start the routine all over again if I don’t move fast enough for him. He gives me one last loud yawn to say, “Don’t stop now, or here I come”!

You would think that I have learned by now that the little man just cannot be trusted because to Oscar, it has now become a game. And with this warning, I move a bit more quickly. I begin to pull myself upward as he races up to me. Without getting my feet on the floor first, he would be in my lap and on my chest kissing me even more franticly.



However, today I have won the game. Sitting on the edge of the bed with him beside me, he begins to wag his tail. In doing so, his whole body reacts. He becomes verbal again this time by means of low whimpers and snorts as in telling me, do not allow your full bladder to distract you! I need to go too! So, off we go.



When I hit the bottom of the stairs, I open the front door for Oscar, then make my way to the bathroom. When I exit, I look out into the front yard and watch him romp around and play for a while. It is obvious that he is content.



As he plays outside and I begin my day in my office upstairs, I periodically look out the windows that over look the front lawn and watch Oscar. Today he has found a gumball that has fallen off the sweet gum tree. He races across the yard with his new toy then jerks his head releasing the gumball, tossing it up into the air. As it comes down, he pounces on it, and in one fluid motion, he is now on his back, front paws at his mouth flinging the gumball once again into the air.



I marvel at the immense freedom Oscar demonstrates, not only outside romping and playing around, but in our home as well. To see the change in his behavior brings me great joy.



I remember the day Oscar was introduced to our family. It was a winter day and my son came into the house with him wrapped up in his arms and asked if we could keep him. At the time, Oscar was skin and bones. It was obvious, he had not been cared for in days or maybe weeks. My son stated that he was a stray and no one in the neighborhood knew whom he belonged to, so for more than two weeks we would allow Oscar in at night so he could stay warm, then during the day, he would be out the front door with the kids to play. During this time, the boys would walk the neighborhood and inquire about Oscar’s owner. Each day the boys would state the same, no one claimed Oscar.



One day after an appointment in town, I set out on a walk. Oscar and a few other dogs in the neighborhood accompanied me. I had not made it a block when a young woman stopped me. She asked if we liked the little wiener dog, and I replied that he showed up at our home a few weeks back and we had been looking for his owners, but yes, he was a wonderful dog. She explained to me that he had been a present to her, and she could not get him potty trained. Her baby was starting to crawl and with him not potty trained they could not keep him any longer. She stated that she put him out hoping he would find a good home.



My heart was pounding now because for days, my husband had allowed Oscar to sleep in our bed, up under the blanket, and of course; he always tucked himself in on my side! Therefore, my heart wanted to love him, but I had to hold back. I asked her if she wanted him back, and with unexpected relief, she stated no. I asked her if she wanted any money for him because we would be glad to take him in as our own, but she said she was just glad to see that he had found a home where she knew he would be cared for. I told her thank you and walked away with a new found peace. Oscar would finally have a home, and I could allow myself to open up my heart to him. Hence, he was named.



My husband took him to the vet and we found that he was approximately nine months old and terribly under nourished. We fed him and fed him, watching him select the foods he liked or disliked as they were served. Soon, we had a vast assortment of food that Oscar would not turn his nose up too, and the feeding frenzy began.



As the months passed, the shy little man became aware that our home was now his home. He gained weight and confidence, and his demeanor changed as well. He found that he had freedom and he was not going to be pushed aside. He was going to be loved and cared for.



In the year now that we have had him, I have seen his true personality come to life. He has evolved from that scared hurting pup into a secure, loving companion. He is undeniably part of the family.



So why have I chosen to tell you about Oscar? Easy. I see a lesson in this story!



We took the time to nurture and love Oscar so he could grow. His pain and suffering was something that we did not witness first hand, but it was evident. We allowed for his errors because we knew he had wounds.



What if we demonstrated the same patience with others? We do not know how deeply they are scarred, so why do we have higher expectations of them?

Romans 15:1-7

We then who are strong ought to bear with the weaknesses of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification. For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me.” For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.

         

We should not to be so judgmental of humans just because we feel like they should know better!

Romans 3:23 (KJV)

For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.



Why not accept one another with mercy and grace? Love them and cherish them. Let them feel, maybe for the first time, the security of Christ’s love, which will allow them to evolve!



Then watch expectantly for their true personality to come to life.





The Lord is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.

The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

Psalms 145: 8-9



Lorrie Jean

© Copyright 2013 LJStenerson (lorriejean at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1913979-Tender-Mercies