*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914560-The-Silent-Campaign---Part-2
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1914560
A Tom Clancy-Like story.
The captain knew he was running out of time. A defective soviet torpedo was lodged into the hull of the submarine and they were loosing power and resources fast. The damage report came back to the captain at last. Three casualties and the engine room suffered minor flooding. "Alright, put us on the surface... Slowly." Said the Captain, shaking his head. The captain was caught off guard by his long time adversaries, the Soviet navy. Knowing this made him upset. He had spent years trying to perfect his strategies to make sure this would not happen. Now his vessel is crippled and crew morale dangerously low. He grabbed the intercom device and turned it on. A boatswains whistle sounded throughout the submarine, then the captain started to speak. "This is your captain speaking, so listen up. We were hit by a messed up soviet torpedo, so its lodged in our hull. Luckily it didn't explode, otherwise i wouldn't be talking to you right now. The main thing is that you are alive and that torpedo didn't blow us to kingdom come. Now, i know you are all worried and that morale is low. Because of the given circumstances we have to surface, then we will contact the nearest ship or base and get help. Everyone sit tight everything's gonna be alright, that is all." The captain turned off the intercom and hung up the speaking device. He then picked up the phone and pressed a series of buttons on the panel. "This is the Captain, let the boys eat whatever they want when they want it. A hot meal will boost the morale." The captain said, "Aye Sir, well get them nice and fed" the head cook said. The captain then hung up the phone. "Commence a low pressure blow of all main ballast tanks" Commanded the Executive Officer. The sound of air hissing could be heard throughout the vessel. Then the submarine slowly surfaced. "We are surfaced captain, heading 145, speed 10 Knots" The XO said. "Very well, have some lookouts posted on the bridge and make sure no one runs up on us, we are sitting ducks..." The captain said. Then suddenly the radiation alarm went off and the phone started ringing. "What the hell?!" Yelled the Captain before picking up the phone. "Conn, go ahead!" He yelled so the person on the other side could hear. "This is the engineer, we got a major problem captain! The reactor took some damage and is starting to leak. Radiation levels are rising we have to get the men to the deck!" He yelled "Very well, start evacuating men" The captain replied with a sour look on his face. "Raise the Radio mast, chief of the watch aye" Commanded the XO with a hurried tone. The radio mast started to raise sticking up from the bridge of the submarine. The Captain went to the radio room and picked up the microphone. "This is the U.S.S Ohio, can anyone read me?" He said. "This is the USS Oliver Hazard Perry, go ahead Ohio" Said Captain Johnson of the USS Oliver Hazard Perry frigate. "We took a torpedo up the ass and are having radiation leakage, we are evacuating our men onto the deck of the ship, requesting assistance. SOS, Repeat SOS." Said the captain. Captain Johnson replied "Roger that Ohio, we will swing by to help evacuate the crew, and we will radio in the nearest sub base" The alarm was finally silenced by the engineer. The Captain picked up the intercom and turned it on, before the boatswains whistle could even finish he was already talking. "This is your captain speaking, there have been issues out of our control aboard the vessel, ALL sailors are ordered to put on their life vests and proceed onto the deck of the ship in an orderly single file fashion, do not take any items with you. Repeat, all sailors are ordered to put on their life vests and proceed orderly onto the deck of the vessel, that is all." The captain threw down the intercom device. The Captain addressed the command room "Alright everyone, get on your vests and get on the deck, radiation levels are rising like crazy" The radio officer yelled to the captain "Sir! I think you need to check this out!" The captain sighed and made his way to the radio room. "Son, why aren't you on the deck?" The radio officer didn't answer him, then turned on the radio. A man speaking English with a Russian accent was heard. "This is Captain Dimitry of the Akula K-328 Leopard Submarine." The voice said. Then after clearing his throat continued. "We are locked onto your vessel, if you attempt to flee or submerge we will sink your vessel." The captain acting out of rage began to insult the captain of the Soviet submarine. "You jackass, the first torpedo you shot at us didn't even explode!" "We can show you a torpedo that will explode if you want" Replied the Russian captain The USS Ohio captain slammed the radio down and said to the radio officer. "Get the hell onto the deck and wait for rescue!" He then picked up the radio and alerted the Oliver Hazard Perry of the nearby akula submarine.
© Copyright 2013 fisheagle (fisheagle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914560-The-Silent-Campaign---Part-2