*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914915-The-Pearl-Tree
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1914915
Young San Francisco housemates find a treasure in the morning street.

                                            THE PEARL TREE


         Even though Peggy was sleeping in the top floor of the 1853 house, the shout from down in the yard awoke her right off. She squirmed up to the head of the mattress, to where she could see right out the window. With arms braced on the sill she called out, “What’s the matter here? “

         Gary, who had raised the shout in the gray wet morning light, turned to squint up at Peggy, but it was Sarah who answered her.


         “It’s just Gary, up to his old antics. “

         Peggy hunched up to look over the window, down and to one side. She saw nothing of Sarah but the frizzy top of her head.

         “Come down and have a look here, “Gary said in his thick voice.

                                                 

         Jackie tickled Peggy’s foot, eager as ever to bring her attention back to him. 

         “What’s Gary up to now? “

         “I don’t know, “Peggy answered. “It’s always something with him, isn’t it? “

         They were on their way down and out in a rumpus of footsteps when Olga came with Mags out of the kitchen to see what was going on. “What’s going on? “ Mags said, with flour pasted on her shining face.

         William was in the doorway, and he said, “Gary’s all excited about something he           found in a tree. “ He was naked in trousers in the condensation of chilly light.

         “What is it this time? “ Jackie said. He pushed past everyone to go out in the after-dawn.

         Gary said, “It’s a pearl tree. Come see for yourself, it’s real pearls. “Jackie trudged further out on the damp porch and looked where Gary was pointing.

         “Damn, he’s right, “Jackie said. “It’s growing pearls. “

                                                 

         There was a tree on the street corner, leafless in front of a lamp pole. The lamp shone out through gobbets of water gathered on the curving branch ends of the tree, making scads of pearls plain to see. 

         Peggy and Olga were the first after Jackie to discover the miracle, and then the whole house poured out to gape together at the sight on their very block.

         “That’s in Mrs. Tripp’s yard, “Gary said. “I wonder if there’s any pearls fallen in her grass? “

         “It’s water, you dummy, “Peggy said. But Gary was already halfway across the street. A rusty brown truck glided around him with a vivid shout. “Come out of the street, Gary, “Peggy hollered afterwards. “You could of got killed. “


         “Too bad he didn’t, “Mags said. She also was skipping over the street, following Gary’s lead.


                                                 

                                                 

         “Hey, “Sarah said. “Don’t go there. What if she calls the cops on you? “Gary had already pushed the fence gate open and he was poking around the miniature and unkempt yard. 

         “She’s right, “Mags answered. “Leave the gate open, if we need a quick escape. “

         As William started across the street, Gary stooped over something. Mags rushed up, crowding after him. “What is it what is it? “she chanted. He shoved her back.

         “Gary, “William said. He stopped at the gate-edge. “A light just came on- “Then the porch light flashed on, and Mrs. Tripp peeped out around the barely-open door.

         “Who is it? “she grumbled. “Leave me alone. “

         “I found it, “Gary said. He held something up high between two fingers. “It’s a pearl. “

         “Mine, “Mags shouted.

         “It is not, “Gary and Peggy said at the same moment. She and Sarah came to the fence to squint over it, trying to see.
                                                 5

         “Get out of here, “Mrs. Tripp said. “Young hoodlums. “She moved further onto the porch in her housecoat.

         “It’s a pearl, “William said. “A pearl earring, I think. “

         “Mine, “Mags hollered. She danced around Gary as he stood and danced around her, holding his arm stretched full out away from her reach.
                                                 
         “I’ll bet, “Peggy said, “it’s one of Mrs. Tripp’s. “

         “Mine, “Mags hollered.

         “I’ll call the police, “Mrs. Tripp said. “I’m calling the police. Young hoodlums.“ She didn’t move from the railing she was clutching.

         “Gary, you have to give it back, “William said. He was close to Gary now and could see over the fence.   

         “I do? Why? “Gary said.

         “Because she lost it, “William said. “It’s her earring, dopey. “
                                                 

         “Mine, “Mags squawled. “I never had a real pearl. “

         “Mags, will you quit your stupid whining, “Sarah snapped.

         “Young hoodlums. “

         “It’s too early in the morning, “Olga whined after her.

         “Give it back, Gary, “William said again.

         “Or what? “ Gary made to drop it in his pocket, but the pocket was too tight to open easily. Meanwhile William put out his open hand to receive the gift.

         “Come on, William, “Jackie said. “Finders keepers. “Everyone ignored him but Peggy, who poked his arm.

         William trundled the drab pearl through the yard to hand off to Mrs. Tripp at the edge of her porch, and she stuttered a thanks.

         

                                                 

         “Brown nose William, “Gary muttered. “Always sucking up-”

         “Mine, “Mags squawled as the pearl changed hands.

         “You’re such a gentleman, “Mrs. Tripp told his back. “Not like these other young hoodlums. “And she bundled herself back into her house.

         "See, Gary? “ William said. “She could of called the cops on us. Would you rather have had that? “

         “I never had a real pearl, “Mags said sulkily. Sarah turned her around to face the tree, still wet in the growing morning.

         “Mags, do you see this? “ Sarah said, pointing to the globe of pearl drops that still hung on the branch-ends and glistered in front of the street-lamp-light. “There’s a thousand pearls there that we still have. Tomorrow we’ll have them all again. Why not let Mrs. Tripp have her puny earrings? “




                                                 

         “She’s right, “Olga said.

         “She’s plain crazy, “Mags said as the bunch of them drifted back to the 1853 house.

© Copyright 2013 Charles Curry (word.smith3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1914915-The-Pearl-Tree