*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1915109-Guitar-Love---Resonance-of-Hearts-Part-1
by Feenix
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #1915109
Young friends and musicians meet and fall in love with the same girl on tour.
One Night Stand

         The thunder of drums challenged the roar of the riotous arena crowd.  Throbbing keyboard notes heightened the anticipation saturating the darkness.  Yellow sunbursts and swirls of blue spotlights streaked like lightning flashes across the darkened stage and outlined the two tall young men facing off against one another before the drum set.

         Long black hair flowed in midnight waves over the shoulders of the man on the left.  Slim, leather-clad legs braced apart like a matador before the charge as his hands called forth a restless bass rhythm from his instrument that left the blood pounding.

         The big guitarist facing him appeared more relaxed, with his shirt unbuttoned and a bad boy gleam in his eyes.  His nimble fingers danced like flames up and down the frets of his guitar, setting the crowd on fire.  Every female in the audience screamed and begged for their favor.

         From the shadows the lead singer stepped forward between them and the crowd came unhinged as he began to sing.  "Let me take you anywhere, beyond the blue yonder, higher than the highest star, deeper than you ever wondered.  I'll take you anywhere" he belted out, echoed by thousands of adoring fans.

         The screams from the auditorium nearly drowned out the music and the techs scrambled to compensate.  One Night Stand was at the top of their form that night, having just launched their Burning Dreams tour, and they could do no wrong.

         Before launching their next song lead singer Ollie looked their bass player up and down with a critical eye and shook his head at the side-laced black leather pants that looked tight enough to be painted on.

         "Christ, Cajun, do you think you can get those things any tighter?" he asked, discomposed.

         Jay, who was very secure in his manhood, played up his normally non-existent bayou accent and batted his eyes at his friend.  "Why Olivier, I'm flattered you care" he said with a playful grin.  "I'm sho' they done up snug 'nuff not to fall off, but you can tighten the laces if'n it'll settle yo' mind" he assured the singer with a flirtatious toss of his hair.  The fans, who had seen such teasing before, screamed and shouted encouragement.

         Ollie, who was just a touch homophobic, took an unconscious step closer to Daff on the other side of the stage.  The young guitarist joined in the teasing with a wink to the fans, making kissing noises at his unnerved friend.

         Ollie realized he was being messed with and stepped forward with an exasperated sigh and a theatrical shudder, cueing the others to start the next song.  They all laughed like loons while the audience screamed.


         Backstage after the show the high spirits continued.  The arena had showers for the performers and Jerry and Ari got into a brief but intense towel fight after the drummer made a teasing comment about the fuzzy bunny mascot that Jerry had kept perched on the corner of his synth onstage.

         Ollie was discussing possible changes to their song lineup with Daff and Mickey, their piano player, while they waited their turns at the showers.

         Jay came back to the dressing area with a towel wrapped around his wet hair and wriggled his damp legs determinedly back into his leather pants, as he had forgotten to bring his jeans with him from the hotel.  He was feeling too wired after the show to go back to his hotel room to sleep, so he pulled on a linen poet's shirt and a fringed leather jacket in lieu of his usual after-concert t-shirt.  He had an itch in his blood, and thought he'd head for a nightclub he remembered in town to see what he could see.

         Ollie eyed the dress clothes and guessed his intent.  "Normally you don't have much of an accent, but when you let loose the girls in the crowd all melt in their satin and lace.  How come you don't use it more often?" he asked.

         Jay shrugged and pulled the towel from his long hair.  "When I left Orleans at sixteen nobody wanted a swamp rat in their band.  I spent my childhood in jazz bars and blues clubs watching my old man perform so I knew how to play and sing, but wherever I went people got twitchy when they heard my Cajun accent, so I learned to sound like Anywhere, USA.  Les filles may run hot at the sound of a Cajun drawl after hours, but on stage they want to hear rock'n'roll, not fais do-do."

         "Besides," he winked.  "I've never needed an accent, real or otherwise, to captivate las femmes.  I've got charm" he assured them.

         His bandmates nearly fell over laughing.  "You've got something, alright" Daff agreed "but I think it's a gift for the bullshit."

         Jay shrugged good-naturedly at the riff.  "Why don't you come with me then?" he invited his best bud.  "We can see which catches more honey - my Cajun charm or your Irish malarkey."

         "Luck" Daff corrected him sternly.  "It's the luck of the Irish, and I've proven on any number of occasions just how lucky I can be.  If I wasn't so tired from the drive out here from California I'd put you to shame yet again, but Ari snored the whole trip here on the bus and I'm looking forward to sleeping in a real bed tonight without having to listen to the lot of you fart and belch on the bus" he said, getting nodded heads in agreement.

         He looked thoughtful a moment.  "Of course if you're going out, you're welcome to bring me back some fast food if you find any" he winked meaningfully.

         Ollie shook his head at the younger men's byplay.  "We could do without fast food on this tour, thank you gentlemen.  I hate to sound like the grown-up here, but don't stay out too late, Jay.  We've got an early check-out in the morning and it'll be your ass in a sling if we don't make it in time" he threatened in his sternest big-brother tone.

         "Don't worry" Jay assured them.  "I wouldn't miss it for the world."  He strolled out with a spring in his step in search of a ride into the city.

         The others exchanged looks of intrepidation.  "Why do I have the sinking suspicion we should have just played it safe and locked him in the bus for the night?" Ollie wondered out loud.  The others voiced their agreements as they finished getting ready to leave for the hotel.


Bedroom Eyes

         The screaming music was loud enough to lean on in the dark confines of the night club.  Sara moodily sipped her drink as she watched the other patrons flirting in dark corners or writhing on the dance floor.  Hard rock guitars kept the rough crowd moving in time to the heartbeat of the drums, pounding like thunder in the blood.  Everyone seemed to be having a good time tonight but her.  Then again, she thought as she took another sip of her lukewarm mojito, they probably hadn't just lost their jobs today like she had.  Unemployment tended to take the sparkle out of an evening.

         She sighed, thought idly about ordering another drink.  Melancholy wasn't a typical mood for her but she really needed to find a new job.  Her belongings could fit in a duffel bag, her car had finally died last week and her bank account was running on empty.  If she didn't find a new job soon she wouldn't be able to pay her half of the rent on the tiny one-bedroom apartment she shared with a friend and then she'd be homeless.  Basically she was screwed.

Ten years ago things had been very different.  Growing up in an afluent Chicago neighborhood Sara had been used to money and priveledge.  Unfortunately her Plastic surgeon mother had been very concious of their standing in the community and this had had a large influence on Sara's upbringing.  She was expected to excel at everything she did, to outshine all the other overpriveliged children in their community.  Her natural creativity was strictly harnessed and her free spirit ruthlessly suppressed.

Between private schools and private tutors she had graduated a full two years early at the top of her class, and at the tender age of sixteen had suddenly found herself thrust into the grown-up world of Berkley University.  There she had continued to excel, and might have gone on to become a world-class orchestra musician, but she never got the chance.  Being too young, and too innocent of the ways of the world, she had instead found herself embroiled in a scandalous and public affair with a married professor.  She was quickly expelled from the university.  Her mother was beyond furious.  Her divorce lawyer father was too busy philandering with his clients to support her in her time of need.  Unable to endure her mother's manipulation any longer Sara had fled their home with only the cash she had on hand and a few personal belongings.  Now ten years later the ladder she had hoped to climb had fallen out from under her and she was suddenly right back where she had started at.  Soon to be homeless and broke.

         Sara decided she really couldn't afford to sit and drown her sorrows any longer, and watching other people having fun was just making her even more depressed.  She turned around to leave and bumped into the solid chest of a man who had just set down his drink at her table.  His blue eyes widened in surprise as he grabbed her arms to keep her from falling at his feet.  They clung to one another for a moment before Sara managed to collect herself and take a step back with an apologetic smile.

         "Thanks for catching me," Sara shouted over the roar of the music.  "I didn't mean to crash into you like that" she said as a light blush pinkened her cheeks.

         The pale blue eyes looking down at her sparkled with mischief.  "Oh?  How did you mean to crash into me then?  I'd be happy to catch you again if you want to get it right."  The black goatee and unruly shoulder-length hair combined with the wolfish grin he gave her caused her heart to flutter.  He had stepped closer to shout in her ear over the din of the house band and she breathed in the earthy spice of his masculine scent, which seemed strangely familiar and arousing to her.  His warm breath caressed her neck as he spoke.

         "Can I buy you a drink, seeing as we're so close?" he offered.  A trio of large men in denim and leather staggered past and the dark stranger pulled her in tight against the protection of his tall, hard body to keep her from getting trampled.  They stared at one another for a moment, close enough to kiss.  Sara blushed even more and backed up another step.

         "Thanks again, but maybe I should buy you the drink.  You seem to have your hands full with me tonight."  she couldn't help flirting back just a bit.

         He grinned wickedly and his voice dropped an octave.  "It's entirely my pleasure" he assured her.

         They sipped their drinks for a moment while they contemplated one another and the roar of the club noise that passed for music slowly faded away in the background.

         Jay studied the delicious-looking strawberry blond facing him.  He had spotted her from across the room almost as soon as he had walked in, shining like some bright beacon in the midst of the darkness of the club's rough atmosphere, and hadn't been able to take his eyes off of her.  The sight of her hair, like waves of honeyed sunlight flowing down to caress the top of her heart-shaped behind in skin-tight jeans had stirred his restless blood, but the air of melancholy that had surrounded her in the midst of the crowded room had touched something deeper.  Being a man though, and one with itchy blood, he was mostly thinking he wanted his hands on her, soon.

         "You look familiar" she finally said thoughtfully.

         His eyebrows raised in amusement.  "Do I really?" he asked.

         Sara nodded seriously.  "It was a dream, though.  In a moment of bad judgment during college I went to a Goth party and some Johnny Depp wannabe handed me a glass of what I thought was punch.  Instead I spent the night dancing with the green fairy in the absinthe bottle."  She rolled her eyes.  "That should teach me something.  Anyway, I dreamed I was being romanced by two men.  The first was dressed like a Spanish dancer with black leather pants and a white linen shirt and your face.  We danced the tango and when it was over I was faint with desire and more than ready for more.  Then another man stepped out of the darkness and took me in his arms.  He was more rugged rogue than handsome but the sight of him took my breath away.  We mostly just held each other and swayed, but for some reason with my head on his chest and his arms around me I felt like I had finally found my home."  she shook her head regretfully.  "I never figured out what the dream was supposed to mean, but it's the best one I ever had.  Seeing you made me remember it again - I don't suppose you know how to tango, do you?" she asked with a playful grin.

         His pale eyes turned hotter.  "As a matter of fact I do, but I prefer the horizontal mambo.  Would you like to go someplace a little more private for dancing?"  His eyes were blue like the heart of a flame, she decided, and he was setting her body on fire before he even touched her.  It had been a long time since someone had looked at her like that, and she decided she desperately wanted to burn.

         Taking a brave step forward she stuck out her hand.  "I'd really like that.  I'm Sara, by the way, what's your name?" she asked him.

         Surprise flashed in his eyes for a moment that she hadn't recognized him before the easy amusement returned.  "My friends call me Jay." 

         Instead of shaking her hand he pulled her back into his arms and stole her surprised breath with a scorching kiss.  Sara heard a sizzling in her brain as her toes curled from the heat.  Then his tongue swept past her lips and he deepened the kiss until she couldn't think of anything at all.  When she could finally breathe again they were wrapped tightly around each other with her head on his chest and her body vibrating with lust.  If she had been wearing anything under her favorite pair of worn skin-tight jeans it would have been soaked. 

         She heard his voice vibrating in his chest.  "Now we've made friends."  He held her until her legs could carry her again, then tucked her arm in his.  "Shall we go?"  he asked.

         Sara said the only thing she could think of.  "Okay."


Hotel Room Tango

         He took her to a very nice hotel where he had a room.  Sara spent most of the taxi ride straddling his lap while their tongues danced and their hands prowled restlessly wherever they could touch one another.  Jay had her blouse unbuttoned to the waistband of her jeans and bent his head to suckle one full breast through the lacy cup of her bra.  Sara gasped and wrapped her fingers in his hair to pull him closer, her hips moving restlessly against the thick bulge of his tightly-laced leather pants.  She was burning up inside and in a fever for more.  She nearly orgasmed when he pulled the lace back to use lips and teeth on her bare breast.  The taxi screeched to a sudden halt in front of the hotel and she hastily buttoned her blouse as best she could while he paid off the grumbling driver with a generous tip.

         They mostly managed to keep their hands off each other in the elevator, but only because it was rather crowded.  As soon as they made it to the sanctuary of his hotel room Jay had her backed up against the door, devouring her mouth as his hands fought to expose her skin without tearing her clothes.  He finally gave up with a few tiny buttons to go and jerked, making her gasp as pearly buttons went flying.  Her bra disappeared just as quickly, and he dropped down to suck and tease her nipples while his lightning hands undid her jeans and eased them down her narrow hips.

         Jay sucked in a shuddering breath as he looked up at her standing naked and trembling under his posessive hands.  She was a head shorter than his 6'4", slim-limbed but with womanly curves in all the right places.  The strawberry blond of her hair flowed down her back in loose curls to brush his fingers resting low on her hips.  She was smooth and tanned all over and the honey scent of her had his mouth watering in anticipation.  Slowly, holding her tempting body still with his hands and eyes, he knelt before her to take his first slow taste of sweet nectar.

         Sara gasped as his hot tongue plunged deeply, swirling in her entrance before slowly moving higher to tease her sensitive nub.  She was helpless to do anything but bury her hands with his wild hair, the black silk strands moving against her sensitized skin like licks of fire burning her alive.  She had never been so consumed by a man before.  She moaned out his name as he caressed a hand up her inner thigh to tease her tender lips.

         He slipped a dexterous finger into her tight channel, spreading her delicious honey for him to taste, then added a second finger and teased the sensitive nerves just inside her opening while he continued a torturous assault on her clit with his tongue.  Her desperate, mewling cries were like music to his hears as he drove her higher and higher.  Playing her flushed and trembling body as skillfully as his favorite bass it wasn't long until he felt her muscles clench his fingers tightly as she shattered into a million starburst pieces screaming out his name.

         A sudden loud pounding on the door at her back startled Sara, who lunged forward.  This left her draped over Jay's shoulder like a towel as he sat back on his heels and laughed out loud, his hand still caught between her thighs.  He swatted her butt with the other hand to get her to hold still and stood up to secure the chain before cracking the door open to see who was knocking.  Sara shrieked in mortification and he swatted her sharply again with a typically male chuckle.

         The eye on the other side of the door peeked in, caught a glimpse of bare female thigh at eye level and backed up a step in surprise.  A growly voice cursed "Damn it, Jay, the bus rolls at 10am sharp tomorrow morning - keep the partying to a minimum and see that you make it on board!"

         Jay could barely answer "Yes Sir, Ollie.  I'll be there with bells on!" he managed to get out between belly laughs.

         From the other side of the door came a derisive snort.  "I don't give a damn about the belles, Cajun, just make sure that you put some clothes on!"  They listened to him stomp away down the hall and another door soon slammed.  Jay leaned against the closed door and let the laughter have its way with him.  Sara squealed when the cold door touched her heated skin and wriggled to get down.  He swatted her playfully a third time before turning and setting her on her feet.

         Sara's cheeks flamed crimson and she huffed in an attempt to get her mussed hair out of her eyes.  There the son-of-a-gun stood, leaning comfortably against the door looking smug and satisfied with his eyes dancing and his thumbs hooked in his pockets.  The scoundrel was still completely dressed, from his black leather pants and boots to his white linen shirt and fringed leather jacket.  Now that she got a good look at him he looked exactly like her dream dance partner, which flustered her even more.  Her dream man was standing cool and perfect before her and she was all mussed and naked, her body still vibrating from the shattering orgasm he had given her.  And to top it all off some stranger had seen her naked ass through the door while she had hung over his shoulder.  The thought made her blush rosily all over again.

         Jay fought to catch his breath.  The young woman before him was stunningly beautiful, all sexily-mussed sunny hair and rosy glowing skin.  He couldn't wait any longer to slide himself between her well-toned thighs.  Stepping away from the door he began slowly to undress, letting the clothes fall where they may as he stalked her toward the bed.  With every inch of skin he exposed the heat grew in Sara's eyes.  Finally he loosened the lacings of his pants, peeling them and royal blue spandex briefs down his legs and stepping free.  Sara's long legs bumped the edge of the bed just before he grasped her thighs and lifted her to straddle his waist.

         They kissed desperately as he slowly lowered her down over his rock-hard shaft, not stopping until he was buried to the hilt.  She was tight as a fist and her muscles were already starting to ripple around him as she made breathless little noises against his lips.  Jay crawled up the bed on his knees until he could press her back against the headboard, never breaking their fiery kiss, then he began to move with a purpose.  Holding her thighs tightly in his callused hands he drove into her as hard and as fast as he could, her back slamming into the headboard with every powerful thrust.  Sara clung to his strong shoulders helplessly as he devoured her lips, the line of her neck, biting and sucking her soft skin as he growled his passion.  She was burning up, a volcano raging inside as he ravished her endlessly.  The sounds of flesh striking flesh filled the room, the headboard beating a staccato against the wall.  From the next room behind them an angry voice shouted and a fist began to pound on the wall, the sounds almost drowned out by the sweet sounds of ecstasy as the lovers went up in passionate flames.

         Jay leaned for a moment, holding Sara against the wall while they both struggled to catch their breath.  Slowly he moved back on his knees until he could lower them both to the bed where they remained tangled together, totally spent and laughing breathlessly.  Eventually the banging and yelling from next door quieted down and stopped.  They curled together, touching each other quietly for some time.  Eventually Jay turned out the last of the lights and crawled back between her thighs under the crisp sheets.


Wake-up Call

         Blinding light and thunderous pounding penetrated Sara's sweet dreams.  She tried to jump to her feet and face what was attacking her, but it got a better grip on her hips and held her down for a fresh assault.  Her bleary eyes struggled to bring the black froth in her lap into focus as it chuckled against her sensitive skin.  Then her eyes rolled back in her head as all the blood in her body suddenly pooled between her legs and fireworks burst through her veins in a shocking orgasm.  When she could finally see again she looked down in shock at the wild-haired man stretched out between her knees, his eyes shining with mirth, broad shoulders shaking as he tried not to laugh out loud.  The hotel room curtains were open to the early morning sun and there was someone pounding on both the door and the wall behind their bed. 

         The man in her lap shrugged mock-apologetically up at her and licked her inner thigh.  "I was trying to wake you up gently, chér, but it looks like the boys are raring to get going this morning.  We'll have to split a quick shower if we want to get any breakfast before the bus leaves."

         "Bus?" she echoed faintly, confused.  The pounding next door had stopped, but stomping feet and grumbling were moving towards their door, where the same gruff voice from last night could be heard cursing and threatening dire consequences if the door wasn't opened right now.  Jay got up and headed for the door to open it.  Sara squealed in terror and dived off the bed to the floor where the blankets had fallen just before the door opened.

         Two grumpy-looking men stormed in, saw the last flash of a shapely leg disappearing under a blanket on the floor and stopped in their tracks.  Their eyes traveled from the quaking blanket to their naked friend laughing next to the bed and back again. 

         Finally one of the men grinned and clapped him on the back.  "Sorry about that, Jay!  Looks like we should have given you five more minutes - what do you think, Daff?"  the big man turned to the still-scowling man standing beside him.

         Their friend yawned and ruffed his hands through his messy red hair.  "Well he could have been quieter about it" he smirked, getting in on the game.  "I hardly got any sleep all night.  Our beds must be against the same wall, and somebody was LOUD."  Now they were all grinning like apes and watching the blanket cowering on the floor.

         From under the blanket they barely heard the muffled "Sorry".  The men began laughing like loons.  Sara peeped out from under her cover and got an eyeful of mostly-bare males.  She let out a mortified squeak and burrowed deeper under the blanket.  "Could we all maybe put on some clothes please?  It's getting kind of hot under here and I'm already super-embarrassed."

         Jay felt it was time for introductions.  "Guys, this pile of blankets is Sara.  Sara, these two baboons are Ollie and Daffy, lead singer and guitarist, respectively.  Why don't you come out from there and say hi?"

         "Come out and say hi?!" she nearly shrieked.  "Jay, I'm NAKED!"

         Male chuckles answered her.  Jay leaned over and swiped the blanket, tossing it back on the bed as he hauled her to her feet.  Before she could recover her shock he swatted her on the butt.  "Go on and get in the shower" he ordered.  "I'll be right behind you."

         Sara was already moving fast.  "Nice to meet you both!  How do I always get myself into messes like this?!" she wondered out loud as she quickly escaped to the bathroom.

         The men wisely kept their silence until the door slammed.  Ollie grinned.  "Nice one, Jay.  What are you going to do with her?  The bus leaves in an hour." his grin widened.  "That doesn't give you much time to say your goodbyes and grab something to eat."

         Daff scrubbed his stubbled face, still trying to wake up.  "I could skip breakfast and say goodbye for you if you're hungry, but you'll have to bring me coffee on the bus"  he offered good-naturedly. "You kind of owe me for not bringing back take-away last night" he ribbed.

         Jay herded his friends towards the door with a shake of his head.  "I think I can handle this myself, thanks.  Go put some clothes on, you Neanderthals.  We'll be down for breakfast in five.  Or maybe ten."

         They closed the door behind them, still joking and teasing.  The last thing he heard as he turned towards the shower was Daffy's comment "She's hot..."


Breakfast of Musicians

         Breakfast had been delivered to one of the nearby rooms down the hall.  Jay filled Sara in during their hasty shower that he was the bass player in a rock group called One Night Stand and they were just starting out on their "Burning Dreams" tour.  Of course once he pointed it out she had recognized the voice of the lead singer who had pounded on the door.  She felt like a fool for not recognizing one of the hottest groups around.  She even had some of their albums, for goodness sake.  She had just never paid attention to the people who MADE the music she listened to.  Served her right, she thought.

         She would have made her escape right after the shower, but found her torn blouse on the floor and realized she was in a pickle.  Jay gallantly offered her his own shirt, on the condition that she come to breakfast with him and meet the rest of the guys.  She had no choice but to agree, and so they went down the hall together, Sara in his linen shirt and Jay with his leather jacket over his bare chest.  They were greeted with good mornings and jokes, and over coffee and sandwiches she was introduced to the gang.

         There was the lead singer Ollie, a pale-haired charismatic charmer fond of dark dress clothes and teasing jokes.  His first comment after pouring Sara a cup of coffee was how cute they were, already wearing each others' clothes.  Jay's response had been too bad that he hadn't fit into her blouse.

         Mickey was the sleek-haired piano man.  He was dressed in what looked like a velvet smoking jacket and dark sunglasses and was obviously still trying to wake up.  He did rouse himself to kiss her hand in cordial welcome, then returned to a contemplation of his coffee and paper in the corner.

         Next Jay introduced her to their keyboard/synth player, Jerry, who tossed them their sandwiches.  He was a blond flirt dressed in a bright satin shirt and dangling earrings who made a token effort to steal her away from Jay's side.  When she proved shy he grinned impishly and strolled off to fill a travel mug with coffee for the road.

         Ari bounced up while she wasn't looking to spin her in a quick, giddy dance before scampering off again, leaving her dizzy.  It was easy to guess that the wind-up toy with the short blond hair and scarf was the group's drummer.  He managed a riff on the edge of Mickey's table before the other man could swat him away with his folded paper.

         Sara and Jay found space on the couch next to Daffy, who had managed a quick shower and was looking more cheerful than on their first meeting.  He was decked out in black velvet pants and an open button-down shirt with a top hat perched jauntily on his still-dripping red head.  He was enjoying his view of the world through his newest treasure, green shamrock-shaped sunglasses.  When Sara sat down he produced a white carnation from the brim of his hat and presented it to her with a roguish wink, making her blush.  The trio chatted companiably while they ate their sandwiches.  Sara got a funny feeling when she looked at Daff, but she didn't know why.  Something about him felt familiar, though she was sure they had never met before.

         All too soon it was time for the bus to roll.  The others filed out of the room to collect loose belongings, leaving the pair to say their goodbyes.  Both of them were surprised to realize how little they wanted to part.

         Sara looked up at the handsome man before her.  Bare chested, with his black hair in still-damp ropes upon his shoulders and tangling around his hoop earrings he looked even more like a pirate than he had last night.  He leaned in to wrap her close against his body and stole her breath with a tender kiss.

         Jay breathed in the woman in his arms.  Her elusive honeyed scent wound deep inside of him before he realized he wanted more.  Needed more.  Needed her.  He pulled back to look at her face - the pixie shape, the full, dark lips and the misty green eyes - and the words just snuck out.

         "You said last night that you'd just lost your job and you weren't sure what to do next.  I'd like to see more of you, but the bus is ready to leave for the next city and the next venue.  If you come with me we can spend more time together and maybe we can find you a job on the tour.  Or if you want we can have our time together and I'll pay your fare when you want to come back home."  He kissed her stunned lips.  "Come with me, Sara.  You won't regret it."

         Sara couldn't breathe.  She hadn't wanted to say good-bye so soon, but going with him was beyond her wildest wish.  She couldn't possibly, could she?  But she suddenly realized she very much wanted to.  She had no job and soon no home to hold her back.  Diving into the unknown had been her way since she had broken away from her overbearing, closed-minded rich parents who had tried to force her into a mold she had never been willing or able to fit into.  Running off with a bass-playing stranger to who knows what future would be a higher dive than ever before, but he was right - she wouldn't regret it, and if fate smiled on them he might be there to catch her.

         She smiled a bit hesitantly.  "Is there room for me on the bus?  It must be rather crowded."

         He wrapped his strong arm around her waist and they walked together to the elevator.  "There's room in my bed."  he assured her.


The Highway Calls

         The bright, warm summer days flowed by like the lines on the highway beneath the bus wheels.  Days of driving countless hours, endless card games and listening to the guys practice their songs on guitars and a small keyboard that traveled with them always.  Days of pulling bleary-eyed into a venue, and the hectic activity of setting up for the next show.  One Night Stand usually toured eight months of the year, averaging 100-150 shows per tour.  Their success could easily have kept them busier, but they strived to keep to a pace that wouldn't burn them out before the end of the tour.  The endless miles and hotel rooms would weigh heavily after months away from home and loved ones.  While they were at the beginning of the tour vibes were high and the work was good.

         After a day or two of feeling out of place among strangers Sara became more comfortable with the group and they with her.  She grew accustomed to the common morning sight of some man crawling half-naked from a rumpled bunk on the bus to stumble to the bathroom or stagger to the refrigerator if the previous night had been too long.  She continued to feel shy about making love in an open bunk with other men reading or snoring all around them, but Jay didn't have a shy bone in his body and the others pretended not to see or hear them.  A time or two Sara caught Daff glancing their way from the other side of the bus but he never appeared interested in their going-ons.

         When the group heard that Sara had studied music at Berkley University they wanted to know what she could play.  Although her studies had revolved around classical piano and violin she admitted to spending much of her free time back then in night clubs and co-ed dorms where she had developed a love for hard rock songs and screaming guitars.  She hadn't learned a great many songs yet but had picked up a few guitar basics in college and the guys found endless entertainment in teaching her their songs and techniques, which she picked up quickly.  Within a week of joining them she was given work helping to set up and sound check the equipment, where she finally found a use for the voice lessons her mother had forced on her for years.  There were hours on the road, rare days when they stayed put to rest, long nights with Jay when they would sit and talk about their lives and dreams, sweet hours when they didn't talk at all.

         Sara spent most of her time with Jay and frequently Daff, who was his closest friend and partner in crime.  The boys liked to get into intense jam sessions that could go on forever.  They were also responsible for most of the pranks and practical jokes that took place during the tour and Sara, with her mischievous nature, happily joined in on the fun.  The others had to regularly check their shampoo and hair gels for signs of tampering.  Ari "The Eagle" found his drum kit set up at one venue covered with stuffed eagle toys and other stuffed animals scattered around on the floor like carnage.  He just laughed and shifted them enough to be able to play his set.

         After the first few days of getting to know one another the guys in the group were mostly happy to have Sara around.  She was a cheerful, supportive person by nature and the long hours on the road passed more easily with her looking out for them.  They tended to treat her like a younger sister, in turns teasing and protective.  In return for their easy acceptance she took them to heart, making sure the bus was stocked with their favorite munchies, ironing the occasional shirt and smoothing ruffled feathers when the inevitable quarrel broke out between six young men too long in each others' pockets. 
         

Changing Chords

         Jay was having conflicting feelings.  On the one hand he was relishing his time with Sara, with her welcoming body and alluring personality.  On the other hand this was the longest he had spent with one woman in some time, and the siren song of new music to be written was beginning to sing in his blood - a seduction he had succumbed to many times in the past.  He was more familiar with the proverbial one night stand than any form of long-term relationship and he was beginning to sweat.  He wanted to continue to see Sara, but at twenty-nine he still felt he needed his freedom.  He didn't think he was quite ready yet to settle down with one woman and needed some way to pull back a bit and clear his head without putting her off the tour, but there was a decided lack of extra beds on the bus.  Jay ruffled his already rumpled hair and decided to spend some quality time with his bass.  Music was the only thing in his life he felt he truly understood.

While Jay was struggling with his conflicting thoughts and feelings, fate was trying to lend him a hand.

         Sara was looking for Jay backstage when her phone rang.  Pulling the cell out of her pocket she saw her roommate's name on the screen.  A chill ran down her spine as she hit the button to answer.

         The voice on the line was almost venomous.  "Sara, I hope you're having fun touring the country with your new rock stud.  The rent's past due and you're nowhere to be seen.  I've had enough of your bullshit, so your junk's in the dumpster and I'm taking a new roommate.  Have yourself a good time!"  The line went dead with an angry buzz.

         Sara was stunned.  It had never occurred to her that her roommate Shelly would do such a thing.  Sara always had a month's worth of rent in her trinket box in her room - Shelly knew that.  Just like that she was suddenly homeless and destitute.  Helpless tears streamed down her face.  She felt totally lost and alone.


         Daffy had an alluringly seductive guitar solo dancing in his head.  It had come to him last night when he had watched Sara on the bus getting ready for bed and the theme hadn't given him a moment of peace since.  The long notes and slithering melody playing in his head described a beautiful woman preparing for her lover.

Over the past three weeks he had spent a great deal of time watching and thinking about his buddy Jay's new lady friend.  He didn't begrudge Jay his fun, but wished he could somehow take his friend's place, even if just for one night.  Daff was a couple years younger than Jay and considered him a close brother.  They shared many things - guitars, mischief, the occasional shirt and on rarer occasions a beautiful woman.  This morning he wanted to get the notes settled in his mind while they were still fresh so he could play it for Jay later and get his take for a ballad they were working on together.

         Coming round a bend just before the stage area Daff found Sara sobbing quietly in a corner, looking like she had just lost her whole world.  Without a second thought the big man collected her into his arms and laid her head on his chest.  Instantly his chaotic inner world stopped spinning and he found his elusive peace.  He held her quietly while she cried on his shoulder, rubbing her back in slow, gentle circles.  Eventually her arms crept around his waist as her tears slowly abated.  Daff realized he had his face buried in her silken hair and straightened up to rest his cheek on top of her head.

         Sara kept her eyes closed and her head resting where she could listen to the strong, steady beat of his heart.  The feeling of being homeless and adrift had faded away the moment he had taken her into his arms.  She knew his scent - the sound of his heart had beat in her dreams long before they had ever met.  She had recognized Daff as the second man in her dream the first time he had passed close to her on the bus and she had caught a hint of his spicy scent.  Now that he held her she didn't want to break free.

         That was how Jay found them as he was heading for the stage.  It surprised him at first - they hadn't shown any romantic interest in one another before now - but it didn't upset him.  He and Daff had traded girls a few times in the past and he just didn't feel jealousy with his friend.  The thought occurred to him that he might have found his breathing space without hurting Sara as he'd feared.  The pair didn't notice his presence until he wrapped his arms around the both of them for a group hug.

         He punched Daffy playfully on the shoulder.  "What's this, buddy - tryin' to make time with my girl?"  he grinned, letting Daff know he had a green light.

         The big man took the hint and his eyes warmed.  "Found her crying here all alone and thought maybe you'd done something brainless so she needed a little comforting.  What's made you cry then, sweetheart?" his fingers brushed the curve of her cheek tenderly.

         Sara blushed and cleared her throat.  "My roommate just called to tell me she's tossed my stuff to the curb and is taking a new roommate.  I didn't have anything valuable there, but now I don't know where I'm going to live."  A tear snuck down her face before she dashed it away.

         The guys looked at each other in dismay.  Jay felt almost sick for getting her into such a mess.  He didn't even have a way to help her out as he was in between homes himself at the moment.

         Daff kept a bolstering arm around Sara's shoulder.  "Don't worry, hon.  We won't leave you out in the cold."  he buffed the top of her head with his stubbled chin.  "Jay's crashed at my place again until he has time to look for a new apartment after the tour ends.  I've got a big house on the California coast and there's plenty of room for you too if you want.  I'm kinda used to having transient roommates 'cause the guys are all vagabonds and keep moving about every other tour or so.  You can have your own room if you want or bunk with Jay or me, whatever you prefer."  he tried for what he hoped was a harmlessly friendly smile.

         Jay caught Sara's perplexed look and hurried to explain.  "The two of us have sometimes shared a pretty lady like we'll share our instruments - not something to pass to just anyone, but between us it's okay.  But it's always the lady's choice, so don't worry if it's not your thing.  Nobody'll ask you to do anything that makes you uncomfortable."  he rubbed an encouraging hand on her back.

         Sara took a deep breath and told herself to relax.  It was surprisingly easy with Daffy's easygoing strength holding her up and Jay's hard heat at her back.  The feeling of home returned to her and she felt safe and whole for the first time in her life.  She closed her eyes to just feel for a moment.  How could it be wrong, she wondered, if it felt so perfectly right to be between them?

         She let herself melt into the moment, into the scent and feel of these two welcoming men who wanted her, just for herself.  Not as they could command, order or shape her to be, as her mother had wanted, but just as she was.  It was almost intoxicating to be accepted, flaws and all, without demands or conditions.  She snuggled deeper into Daff's embrace and sighed in contentment.  Jay cuddled in from behind until she was enclosed and surrounded in a group hug.

         Shortly she became aware that certain parts of the group were thinking about other things than hugging.  With a shy laugh she lifted on tiptoe to kiss the rough cheek before her.  "I might feel a little uncomfortable if we escaped to the bus right this moment, but later on when it's just the three of us it would be alright." she said shyly.

         Daffy didn't question her words.  Instead he lifted her higher so he could kiss her senseless - Jay moved back to give them room.  Eventually they ran out of breath and broke apart laughing.  With things more settled between them they continued on toward the stage area, Sara in the middle with one male arm around her shoulders and another around her waist.  From then on the music began in earnest.
© Copyright 2013 Feenix (jimmenysnippet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1915109-Guitar-Love---Resonance-of-Hearts-Part-1