*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1915374-Bus-Stop-Nostalgia-and-Ignorace
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seres
Rated: E · Short Story · Community · #1915374
This story is told in Third Person without any opinion
                                                    Bus Stop Nostalgia and Ignorance
   
      Some days are sunny and others are rainy, but which ever it is, the two elder ladies always sit at the bus stop bench. The lady that wears the yellow dress usually looks down and the other who wears the blue dress stares continuously around.
There is a puppy pulling a boy as the boy screams, “Conan! Conan wait! Conan!”  The elder lady wearing the blue dress whispers something into the ear of the other, they both smile.
      Then the boy disappears around the corner, there is silence. The lady in blue reaches into her purse and takes out a bag of grapes, she feeds a large one to the lady in yellow, and then she eats a large one too.
      There had been a large cloud shadowing their foreheads, and then another, then the sun uncovered its breath. A young woman flashing a pair of large hook earrings and shiny gold heels walks by, she pauses at the bust stop bench, crosses her arms as her foot taps the floor to the rhythm of the music in her headphones. The elder lady wearing the blue dress whispers something into the other’s ear, they both smile.
      A car passes, then a truck with its motor howling.  A mother walks out from a house and crosses the porch pushing a stroller and being followed by her two boys. The elder lady wearing the blue dress whispers something into the ear of the other, they both laugh. The lady in yellow taps the other’s finger, not lifting her sight from the ground, then the lady in yellow reaches for a grape and feeds her.
      “Martin! Stop hitting your brother!” the mother turns to the boys.
      “Mom he is still hitting me!”
      “I’ll hit you as much as I want! Die! Die! Die!”
      “Stop it! What are you two fighting about?” the mother yells.
      “He says my shirt has green and white stripes, I’m telling him that it has white and green stripes!”
      “You two quit fighting or I am going to pound both of you!”
      The mother sits at the bus stop bench and feeds a milk bottle to her daughter who lays on the stroller. The elder lady wearing blue whispers something into the ear of the other, they both laugh.
There is sent of evaporated moisture, the distant sent of steaming food and dried gasoline travelling in the urban air. A man turns from the corner; he kicks the air and flexes his arms, his long hair waving.
      “How you all doing today?” he says, “I am feeling good, energetic; I woke up handsome and ready to kick some butt!”  He punches the air and smiles at everyone. The elder lady wearing blue whispers something into the ear of the other, they both smile.
      Then the man raises his finger at them and says, “You two, every time I come here you whisper to each other, always whisper, and then laugh. Why do you laugh? Do you think you are better than anyone here?”
      The elder lady in yellow looks down and the other whispers into her ear, then she frowns. The lady in blue drops a grape and then she reaches for another. The bus arrives, the man in grey is the first to get  on as he says, “You should learn be quiet if you got nothing good to say.”
    The mother follows him, pulling her two children’s hands and saying, “Boys, never forget how disrespectful it is to whisper to each other in the presence of others.”
    Then young woman with the large hook earrings takes off one of her headphones and before stepping on the bus she turns back and says, “It’s true. I always see you gossiping, you shouldn’t be sticking your noses where they don’t belong.”
    Then the bus leaves and the bench is empty again save for the two elder women sitting on the edge. There is a cloud coming from the east, the sun falling slowly into the west. The boy being pulled by his dog crosses again and pauses at the bus stop to tie his shoe. The lady wearing blue whispers something into the ear of the other, they both laugh. The boy looks over at them and says, “How are you ladies doing today?”
    “Wonderful Jimmy, how are you?” the elder lady in yellow says and then whispers into the other’s ear, “Teresa, Jimmy is stopping to visit us.”
    They both smile.
    “What is new?”
    “The world is new and we are old, boy. That is why we like to sit here and watch the world transform. And who is your friend?”
    The boy turns to the dog, “this is Conan. My mom gave him to me as a birthday present.”
    “It’s a pretty one,” the lady in blue says then she whispers into the other’s ear, “He has a dog Teresa. A blonde one like the one we had when  were kids. I wish you could see him, he is just a puppy like when we first got ours. Come…” she guides her sister’s hand to the head of the dog and helps her pet him, the dog licks her palm and waves his tail, they all smile.
    “He likes you,” the boy says.
    “We like him too.”
    “I can bring him here every morning so that you can pet him.”
    “That sounds wonderful!”
    The boy stays a couple of minutes, before he leaves he says to the lady in blue, “Tell Teresa that her dress is pretty, I like yellow.”
    The day had been rainy and now it is sunny; the rain is closing in and the sun is always high. The bus passes, people come and go, nothing ever stops – Two elder ladies always watching us from the edge of the bench. 
    The one whispers into the ear of the other, “Jimmy says he likes your yellow dress.”

                                                                          Written by: Seres Jaime Magana
© Copyright 2013 Seres (seres at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1915374-Bus-Stop-Nostalgia-and-Ignorace