*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917403-The-Return-of-Terra--Before-the-Storm
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Other · #1917403
Chapter 1 of The Return of Terra.
It was the first snowfall of the year. The city was quiet, more so than it had been in years. The City that Never Sleeps was now sleeping. New York was still.
No cars moved through the streets, and no lights shone. The stars were slightly brighter than they had seemed in years, but there were no people on the street to see them.
There was almost a feeling of one holding one's breath, impossible silence, and incredible fear.
2,000 people were left in a blacked out, once-mighty city, hiding like cockroaches in their homes. They waited in fear for planes that would come, maybe to bring total destruction this time.
The streets were pitted with carnage, twisted metal, bomb shells, and shattered glass. It was nearly impossible to tell what was ash, and what was fresh snow. A small child's teddy bear lay in the street, one ear missing, beetle-black button eyes staring up at night sky.
A distant roar of planes pervaded the silent night, and the people cowered down in their homes, praying that bombs wouldn't fall, that tonight's raid was one of surveillance. The first bomb fell with a crash, tearing a crater in Time Square.
More bombs fell, and heavy artillery peppered the ground, a deathly rain of explosive, fire, and death.
© Copyright 2013 Emma McCarry (aleiaworld12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917403-The-Return-of-Terra--Before-the-Storm