*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917972-Apocalypse
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1917972
It's a story from the perspective of the girl who started the zombie apocalypse.
I was born into a world of privilege; big houses, shiny cars, new clothes. I lived the life every girl wanted. I didn’t even have a deep dark secret like I was actually a drug addict or my parents abused me. I had a simple, happy life, and I was delirious with joy. My names Kaylee Shawnet, and I caused the zombie apocalypse.

Death is scary. We hear about it all the time, but when it comes for us, we’re not ready. I wasn’t ready. It started in the middle of gym class, 11th grade, November 2nd, 2020. Just a stomach ache. That’s what I told myself, running beside my two best friends, Janice and Caroline. As the year progressed, they started getting worse. They were keeping me up at night, and my grades dropped. But I remained in denial; it was just a stomach ache, just a stomach ache, just a stomach ache. Eventually, in the middle of my senior year, Janice convinced me to tell my mother, after I unexpectedly doubled over while flirting with a college guy. I waited in the crisp, white room outside the doctor’s office, fiddling over my nails. My mother sighed. “How long will they take?” she said “Doctor Hendris knows how weak your immune system is.” I rolled my eyes, “Everyone gets colds mom,” I whispered, “ My immune system is just fine.” My mother waved her hand submissively “All the same.” She said, in that annoying I just want the best for you tone of voice. Eventually, Doctor Hendris called us in. I strode into his plain, sterile office and cocked my head towards him, ready to get this over with. He had been my doctor for two years, and he was pretty nice looking. Brown, straight hair, nice features, mid-twenties. I could go for him, but he was so obsessed with me. That was the problem. Clingy guys are just annoying. My mother cleared up a few things with him, then left the room, and I hopped up on his little “inspection bed”. “MS Shawnet, you really shouldn’t wear those, they’re bad for your back.” I glanced down at my six inch stilettos impassively. “I know,” I said, leaning towards him, so our noses almost touched “but I like them. You like them, don’t you, Doctor Hendris?” He coughed into his hand and stuttered a little. I rolled my eyes. Flirting with him was getting so boring. “So,” He said, after regaining his composure, “what’s the problem?” I leaned back into the white brick wall. “Nothing much,” I said, shrugging. “You know how my mom always overreacts when it comes to my health.” Doctor Hendris pulled up a stool from behind him and plopped down on it, staring intently at his clipboard. “Well, even so…” he said slowly “why don’t you tell me about these symptoms; your mother said you’ve been having stomach aches?” “Yeah.” I replied shortly. “When did they start?” I hesitated, wondering whether or not I should lie. “Last year. November.” I said, staring at my toes. Doctor Hendris glanced up in surprise “Last year? Why didn’t you tell me? This could be something really serious! You should have come to me!” “Why?” I snapped “It’s not like your my boyfriend!” He looked startled at first, then in a split second, his entire face shifted. His expression darkened. He leaned closer to me, the same thing I had done to him minutes before. His eyes glinted dangerously, “You’re right. I’m not.” He said coldly “but maybe it’s because of this attitude that you don’t have a boyfriend. And just because you think everyone loves you, doesn’t mean they do.” And with that verbal slap in the face, he stood up and began walking out of the room. “Follow me” he said gruffly. I stayed where I was, dumbstruck. All my earlier bravado had dissipated and was replaced by an overwhelming urge to crawl under a rock. “Where?” I asked meekly “Tests.” He replied, stopping at the door. He glanced back at me, and his expression softened. “Come on, Kaylee.” He’s handsome, I realized, startling myself. I wiggled off the bed, trying not to catch my skirt on anything, and followed him down the hall.
© Copyright 2013 inspireddreamer (inspired123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1917972-Apocalypse