*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918081-Crusade
by Aelyah
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1918081
Pope Pius ii influenced Vlad III Dracula to start a war against Sultan Mehmed II of Turkey
It was a surprising request, and it came from one of the most powerful men in the world.

Peter paced the antechamber and examined his surroundings. The high ceiling and solid doors were meant to teach the visitor of its own insignificance. Well guarded, they reminded the newcomer the kingdom of heaven was not for the undeserving. Peter wondered why Pius requested his presence. Was it his proximity to the Dragon or Dochia's secret ties to Matthias? The answer would come soon since the guards motioned him in.

Peter stepped through the heavy doors in the large audience hall and with his head bowed, he advanced towards the throne. The elderly man who occupied it winked in encouragement, and Peter knew why he won the trust of the cardinals against all odds. He bowed to kiss his hand and waited for the Pope to speak.

"Kneel and keep your voice low." he heard. Humbly, he smoothed his brown habit and obeyed.

Pius leaned in and whispered.

"I have a mission for you. It is of utmost secrecy "

Peters's eyes flicked for a moment to the window. Dochia waited for him outside, and he needed to warn her. The Pope scowled and hissed.

"She must not know! "

Peter's eyebrows shot up in question and Pius grinned.

"Her disguise is clever, brother Peter; however her shining armor might fool others, not me."

Peter sighed; he had forgotten Pope's own checkered past.

He then felt Pius press a pair of ornate daggers in his hands. They came from the same shop in Toledo as his own sword.

"Tools to close the gates to the Turkish invasion."

Peter closed his eyes and asked.

"What is my role, Your Holiness?"

Pius breathed.

"To build the crusade. Matthias, the Dragon, ... you. The Rock!"
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1918081-Crusade