*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1919078-Fear
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Aelyah
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1919078
A place to hide
"Nobody knows we are here!"

Dahlia reassured the old crone and handed her a bag of coins. Greed replaced wariness on the old woman's face as she extended her bony hand. Dahlia instinctively withdrew her fist when she glimpsed the dirt and the sores that covered crone's fingers. The pouch fell on the ground, and the old woman picked it up with a malicious gleam in her eyes. Fear engulfed Dahlia, and she prepared to flee.

"There is nowhere to run, lamb. Do you forget why we're here?"

Dahlia's shoulders slumped, and she shook her head.

"Did your father build the maze the way I asked?"

She couldn't speak since  fear still seized her. She only nodded.

The crone weighed the money bag and measured the entrance to the maze. Dahlia would fit through it, just barely. She then nodded with satisfaction and muttered.

"Your father paid me well. You'd have your wish and vanish from the earth."

The crone laughed at the horrified look on Dahlia's face.

"Don't worry, lamb. I promised your father no harm would come to you. Hidden and still in plain sight, the rider would never find you."

"Who's the rider and why does he follow my every step?"

"That, lamb is a question you should have asked before.  Now go inside so I can seal the gate."

Dahlia stepped through the labyrinth's gate and stopped in mid air.

The old crone eyed with satisfaction the rock closing the entrance. She ignored the streams of water coming through the top and fisted her hand. She pushed it hard through the soft chalk grid at the bottom and screamed in pain. She stared in disbelief at what remained of her hand then her face contorted in a horrifying grin.

The treasure was there indeed.
© Copyright 2013 Aelyah (aelyah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1919078-Fear