*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1919097-The-Choices-We-Make
by Noyoki
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1919097
Down in the darkness, decisions must be made.
Writing Contest - Daily Flash Fiction Challenge 

Prompt: Write a story that includes the line:  “Nobody knows we are here.”

Word Count: 291



The Choices We Make

“Are you sure Jake?”

Silence.  She reached out, desperate for contact.  The darkness was like a wet blanket smothering them.  Finally her fingertips found the rough material of his wool sweater. 

Over the sound of her own fleet heart, she could hear his harsh breaths.  “Yes Jenna.”  Each word drained him, and she could imagine his face, pale and pinched with pain even as her hands skimmed over his chest, taking and offering comfort. 

“Nobody knows we are here.” He said.  The words were dagger sharp, severing hope.  How could that be?  Weren’t you supposed to tell people when you went spelunking? 

“Nobody?”

Jake suppressed a low groan of pain when her small hands found the nasty break that had sent bone jutting out of his left thigh.  The raw panic in that word froze the blood in his veins. 

“Enough!” He said, the word echoed, reverberating around them violently.  “Enough Jenna.  Take slow deep breaths, that’s it.” His hand, shaking and cold found hers, and gripped it. 

“You know what you have to do.” Jake said, squeezing harder when she moaned a denial.  “You know.” 

Tears fell in a silent scalding stream as she gripped Jake’s hand.  When he’d asked her to join him that morning, she’d been ecstatic.  The cave riddled mountains were like a second home to her.

Now, everything had changed.  Terror clawed at her, she tried again to change his mind.

“Ja-”

“No Jenna.  Go…just go.  You’ll get help, everything will be fine. I promise.” He was lying, and they both knew it.  Without the flashlight, Jenna would never be able to remember where she‘d left him.  She’d be lucky to make it back to the surface. 

“I’m sorry.” One last squeeze and she was gone. 
© Copyright 2013 Noyoki (noyoki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1919097-The-Choices-We-Make