*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920521-Single-White-Female
by Noyoki
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #1920521
Character Gauntlet Contest, Caroline, murder, jogging
Character Gauntlet – Prompt One:  Introduce your character.  Give insight into how their mind works, what they look like.  ***BONUS*** Introduce your character.  And then kill them. 

Questions to consider:
What does your character look like?
What is a normal day for them?
Who does your character interact with on a daily basis? 


Word count: 1703

The fruity artificial scent of strawberry filled the small kitchen, mingling with the lingering fragrance of rosemary tea.  Caroline didn’t love the tea, but she’d bought three boxes from a little girl who’d been selling them door to door to earn money for the Church and didn’t want the tea to go to waste.  She took another bite of her bagel, pausing to lick a bit of the pink cream cheese off her thumb before opening the morning paper. 

Dawn Slayer Still Stalking Our Trails!

A frown marred Caroline’s usually cheerful features as she skimmed the distasteful article.    Why did the news have to be so graphic?  Every little detail was splashed in accusing black ink across the paper, just waiting to ruin a good day.  Yes, it was tragic that some crazy man was stabbing joggers in the back, but did they really have to make such a sensation out of the story?  Nearly four weeks had passed since the last killing, so why were they still running stories about such a depressing topic? 

Dismissing the dreary news, Caroline turned to the community section.  Her good mood was restored as she read over the article inviting the community to the We Give For Love festival.  Dove grey eyes traced lovingly over the list of activities, a relay race, booths to sell everything from good luck charms to cupcakes and all that lay between, a raffle, and her favorite, a picnic to honor cancer survivors.  The event was this weekend, and it was the culmination of four months of tireless preparation.  She was the chief organizer of the event, and if it went well, she would finally be able to look at community organizing as a full time occupation, instead of just a side hobby. 

Folding the paper, Caroline finished the last bite of her bagel and headed for the door.  It was still dark outside, but she could almost feel dawn trembling on the edge of the world, waiting to be born.  On her way out the door she stopped in front of the small cherry wood console table and opened the drawer.  The black leather wrist sheath didn’t match her royal blue jogging suit, but Caroline didn’t mind, no one would see it.  Pulling up the loose sleeve of her shirt, she strapped the custom made sheath on to her forearm.  Her brother had given her the sheath, and the knife it housed, when she was in college and her roommate had been attacked while jogging. 

Her eyes darkened as she checked the push handle dagger’s blade, insuring its sharpness.  Megan was such a bright girl, but after the attack she’d changed.  Eventually she’d dropped out of college, and Caroline lost touch with her.  The dagger wasn’t like any knife Caroline had ever seen, but her brother was great at making off the wall weapons, and he said this would be the best thing for self-defense.  The handle was horizontal, and he’d designed it to match the width of her wrist so that no one would notice it under her sleeve.  When she held the handle in her fist, the blade poked out from between her first and middle finger.  That way a would-be rapist couldn’t to take it from her, and all she had to do was try to punch him. 

It was an inelegant weapon, designed for people who weren’t skilled in knife fighting, but it made her feel better to carry it and Caroline wasn’t going to say home out of fear. Slipping a thin loop of black nylon thread over her middle finger, she sheathed the blade and adjusted the sleeve to hide the concealed weapon.  If a mugger tried to jump out of the bushes at her, he’d get the surprise of his life. 

She glanced into the mirror mounted over the small table and straightened out her ash blond ponytail, making sure that the long straight hair fell perfectly down her back.  While running, she didn’t listen to music.  Instead she liked to hear the world wake with the dawn as her hair swished, keeping perfect time with her steps. 

Locking the door to her apartment, Caroline tucked her keys away and jogged down the stairs into the embrace of the last swath of night. 

Thud, thud, thud, thud.  Half an hour had past, and the darkness was slowly being pushed back by the relentless dawn.  Still, Caroline wasn’t able to slip into the trance jogging usually gave her.  Instead her mind wandered into forbidden territory.  What would the ladies on the community board think if they knew?  She tried to force her thoughts away from that path. Don’t think, just run.

Caroline was perfect, she dedicated her life to helping others, was active in the community, and volunteered in dozens of different charities.  Her friends often called her Care.  She licked her lips, if only they knew the truth.  Her dark little secret.  They would certainly be scandalized. 

The addiction whispered and teased, flirting with her, purring in the back of her mind and pricking down her spine with sharp demand.  Four weeks, tomorrow.  That was a long time to go without, and she’d hoped, dared dream that maybe this time she would be able to give it up. 

Heavy thudding feet caused her own steps to falter.  Another jogger on the lane.  Glancing over her shoulder, blond hair twining serpent like around her throat with the movement, she saw a man.  Heat sparked through her body at the sight of the stranger.  He was large, with shoulders that went for miles.  His chest tapered off into slender hips and strong athletic legs.  Of all the men she’d pursued, he was by far the largest.

A shiver of anticipation made goose bumps prickle along her arms as their eyes met.  His were a warm mahogany that went well with his dark locks and rugged good looks.  The smile he offered was friendly, unthreatening, and interested as his eyes did the look.  That look men couldn’t help but give attractive women upon first meeting them, assessing. 

Her own lips curved invitingly as she turned away and began running again, her hips swaying more now that she knew his eyes were upon her.  The sound of his interest, his soles pounding the pavement as he followed her, not chasing, but keeping pace, made her heart pound in forbidden delight.  She knew she shouldn’t do it, shouldn’t lead him deeper down the trails, but he was interested.  And it had been so long. 

The tentative rays of sunshine were blocked out by the trees as she led him to a hidden grove, far from prying eyes.  Caroline turned, her face flushed, grey eyes sparkling with need as her hungry gaze found his again.  He slowed, but didn’t stop as the space between them dwindled.  Still Caroline didn’t retreat, nor did she speak.  Words weren’t needed, not here in the fragrant morning as birds were beginning to wake, their tentative song danced on the wind, encouraging the sun to rise. 

He stopped when there was less than a foot of empty space between them, and Caroline took the plunge.  Desire overrode all sense as she slid smoothly into his arms.  Those large heavy limbs circled her, pulling her against his broad chest and pulling her up so that their lips could introduce them.  Caroline’s hands roamed his large back, stroking the firm lines as the kiss burned though her, lighting every nerve. 

Caroline’s right hand jerked back as her tongue traced his lower lip, tasting the salty maleness.  His tongue darted out to stroke hers, and just as he began exploring the edges of her mouth he pulled back with a gasp of agony.  Powerful arms crushed her to his chest, holding onto her as if she meant the whole world to him before he stumbled forward. 

The abrupt motion sent them both crashing to the ground. His arms still wrapped tightly around her now pinning her beneath his limp weight.  A low breathy laugh fell from Caroline’s kiss swollen lips as she eased the five inch blade from his heavily muscled back. She shuddered in ecstasy as the blade came free, spilling his life’s blood on a whim.  Power, loud and primal tore through her slender frame as she threw her head back and moaned, riding the wave as it crested.  His life was hers, and the power of the taking was like nothing else she’d ever experienced. 

Euphoria throbbed though her blood as she panted beneath his dead weight, too lethargic from the high of taking a life to push him off.  Not yet, she liked the crushing pressure of his still warm body blanketing hers, protecting her from the early morning chill.  Breathing was becoming difficult, so with a tired sigh, she pushed at his heavy bulk.  The weight shifted, but settled back onto her chest alarmingly. 

Panic began to nibble at the back of her mind as she wiggled and shoved, desperately trying to escape his dead embrace.  He was too big, nearly two hundred and fifty pounds of lean muscle, coupled with the fact that they were both laying on top of his arms kept her trapped beneath him.  Exhaustion stilled her frantic motion, and blunted the terror.  She was just too tired to continue fighting. 

I could scream it was a tempting thought, but if she did, she would be caught more firmly than she was now.  Caroline had no interest in going to prison.  The harsh panting of her breath was growing shallower as her strength began to fade.  Moving her chest enough to breathe under his weight was becoming more difficult, and she was left taking small sips of air. 

Leaning up, Caroline pressed a chaise kiss against the stranger’s tan neck, smelling his sweet skin and wishing she’d followed a different path. His eyes had been kind, and she hadn’t wanted to kill him.  But, as any alcoholic would tell you, if the drink of choice wasn’t available, any option would do, even mouthwash. “I’m sorry.” She exhaled, darkness falling over her sight just as the first rays of dawn stroked her flushed, sweat streaked cheeks.
© Copyright 2013 Noyoki (noyoki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920521-Single-White-Female