*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920732-Jills-Jigsaw
by Remy
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1920732
Jill gets a jigsaw puzzle as a gift. The subject is a surprise.
Written for the daily slice contest

Word Count: 732

Jill smiled as she found the box on the counter.
“Steve, did you get me another puzzle?” she called, tossing her keys on the counter.
“Hmm, he must have gone out for something. I'll go ahead and start the puzzle, so that I can thank him when he gets back.”
Talking to herself could be considered a bad habit, but she didn't care, as she went to the hall closet and pulled out her puzzle board. Taking the board to the kitchen table, she opened the box of pieces, which was blank.
“He must have had a custom puzzle made for me, he's so sweet,” she thought.
Sitting at the table, she started putting the puzzle together, turning all of the pieces upside down, to make it more of a challenge, and then separating the edge pieces from the interior ones.

As she placed the final piece in the puzzle, Jill looked at the clock and realized she had finished the puzzle in two hours, and her husband still wasn't home. She smiled, assuming he had gone to a movie to give her time to finish her puzzle. He had a tendency to feel ignored when she put one together, but loved her enough to buy her new ones all the time.
Grabbing a second board, she placed it on the back of the puzzle so she could flip it, and finally see the finished picture. She always enjoyed the pictures, and the relaxing scenes they held.
Flipping the puzzle, she moved the board, and gasped. The picture was of her in bed, and in the corner, she could see a strange mans reflection in the mirror as he took the picture.
Grabbing her purse, she pulled out her phone to call Steve. He had a lot of nerve to let a stranger into their room to take that picture, given how little she was wearing. She was giving him a piece of her mind for this.
As she held the phone to her ear, she heard her husbands phone ring in the house.
“Damn it, he must have left his phone. He knew I was going to be pissed about this one.”
Walking through the house, letting the ring lead her in the right direction, she went into the bathroom, and screamed.
Laying in the bathtub was her husband's head, with an arm. The rest of him was no where to be seen, but a trail of blood was leading into the bedroom. Reason left her, and fear gripped her heart as she slowly followed the trail to the door connecting the two rooms. Slowly opening the door, her heart pounding, she looked in, and vomited. Screaming again, she turned to run, and everything went black.

Jill woke up, and sighed. It was a nightmare, only a nightmare. Trying to sit up, she realized something was holding her down. Her hands and feet were tied to the bed, and she was completely naked. Beginning to panic, she looked around, and saw him standing in the door to her bed room.
“Who are you? What do you want?” she screamed at the silhouette.
“I want you.”
Struggling, she saw him take a bite of something as he began to slowly walk towards her.
“Why me? Why did you kill Steve?”
“You're vegans, “ he calmly replied, as if that explained everything.
“Wh- what does that mean?” she stammered, as her blood went cold at his matter of fact tone.
“You've removed yourselves from the top of the food chain. And you're absolutely delicious, he said, as he brought her husbands finger to his lips to take another bite of it. “Now stop struggling, I've had a lot of experience with this, and you won't get away.”
Placing the finger on the night stand, he picked up a gag, slipped it over her head, and into her mouth. Leaving the room, he came back with a pot, and pulled out a basting brush. Slowly a brushed her skin with the hot liquid from the pot, as she tried to scream through the gag.
“It'll take me a couple of days to finish your husband. That will give me a chance to make sure you're well basted.”
With that, he left the room, and turned out the light, plunging her into darkness.
© Copyright 2013 Remy (remyql at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1920732-Jills-Jigsaw